The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 8:51 AM ET, 02/ 8/2011

Meat packaging facility evacuated

By Allison Klein
Allison Klein

About 100 employees were evacuated from the Smithfield Packaging Co. in Cheverly early Tuesday morning because of an ammonia leak, fire officials said.

The refrigeration system in the food packaging company started leaking about 12:15 a.m., releasing an irritant into the air. It took fire officials about four hours to get the leak under control, said Mark Brady, a spokesman for the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department.

Smithfield Packaging, in the 5800 block of Columbia Park Road, packages fresh pork, smoked meats, bacon, cooked hams and hot dogs for retail, according to a company Web site.

By Allison Klein  | February 8, 2011; 8:51 AM ET
Categories:  Allison Klein, Pr. George's  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Woman pulled from under burning car
Next: Robber is beaten by clerk (video)

No comments have been posted to this entry.

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.

characters remaining

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company