The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Posted at 10:01 AM ET, 02/10/2011

6 yrs. for Metro iPhone thefts

By Allison Klein
Allison Klein

A man who was part of a ring that steals iPhones from Metro passengers was sentenced in D.C. Superior Court to six years in prison for two robberies and drug charges, officials said Wednesday.

Terrence McNatt, 24, told police when he was arrested that he was a member of the "Swisha Splash Boys," a group that robs Metro passengers of their iPhones.

The first robbery took place Jan. 21, 2010, at 7:50 p.m. on a Red Line train between the Fort Totten and Takoma stations. McNatt and two accomplices on the train walked through the aisle looking at passengers' electronic devices, according to the U.S. Attorney's office.

McNatt and his friends decided on a victim who was using her iPhone, grabbed it from her and ran from the train as it pulled into the Takoma station.

The second robbery took place the next day at about 6 p.m. at a coffee shop in the lobby of a hotel near Metro Center. The victim, who was reading the newspaper, put her iPhone on a table, and McNatt snatched the phone and ran to the Metro escalator, according to the U.S. Attorney's office. The robbery was captured by hotel surveillance video.

Later that night, police stopped McNatt at the Pentagon City Metro for failing to pay his train fare. When he was arrested for fare evasion, he had the victim's iPhone on him.

McNatt was convicted by a jury in December of two counts of robbery. He earlier had pleaded guilty to possession of cocaine and marijuana at the time of his arrest.

By Allison Klein  | February 10, 2011; 10:01 AM ET
Categories:  Allison Klein, From the Courthouse, Robbery, The District
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man who tumbled from car dies
Next: 3-foot-11 MoCo fugitive found in El Salvador

Comments

6 years for snatching a IPhone, but a child sex offender gets 3 years for touching little kids.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | February 10, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The "Swisha Splash Boys" sound like criminal geniuses!

Posted by: mike8 | February 10, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Isn't a 24-year-old considered a man? I guess "Swisha Splash Men" isn't cool enough.

Posted by: washreg | February 10, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Metro needs to do ads pertaining to the teenagers who are acting up on buses and subways. I am a Black woman who's children are grown and have grandchildren. There was an incident on the subway one day on my way home from work. There were teenagers acting up on the train, and I spoke up. I let them know that your mother is not on the train but I am so consider yourself caught as if she was. I said, You didn't see me sitting back here did you? behave yourself and show some respect for yourselves. The teenagers endened up being respectful after thinking at first that it was some kind of joke. They soon realized that I was speaking up as if I were their parent. Point being, that we should not be affraid of our own children. I would rather talk to them and address any issues thay have instead of haveing the police haveing to deal with them. We need to let our children know that we care enough to address them. If your mother or father is not there, we are. So yes consider your self caught, because that's how much I care for you.

Thanks, Mom

Posted by: jillrocks2011 | February 10, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Metro needs to do ads pertaining to the teenagers who are acting up on buses and subways. I am a Black woman who's children are grown and have grandchildren. There was an incident on the subway one day on my way home from work. There were teenagers acting up on the train, and I spoke up. I let them know that your mother is not on the train but I am so consider yourself caught as if she was. I said, You didn't see me sitting back here did you? behave yourself and show some respect for yourselves. The teenagers endened up being respectful after thinking at first that it was some kind of joke. They soon realized that I was speaking up as if I were their parent. Point being, that we should not be afraid of our own children. I would rather talk to them and address any issues thay have instead of having the police to deal with them. We need to let our children know that we care enough to address them. If your mother or father is not there, we are. So yes consider your self caught, because that's how much I care for you.

Thanks, Mom

Posted by: jillrocks2011 | February 10, 2011 12:03 PM | Report abuse

@jillrocks2011 - you are awesome. The world needs more like you.

Posted by: Irato | February 10, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Swisha Splash Boys? Are you serious? Hopefully the steep sentence will deter other idiots from victimizing people. Get a job.

Posted by: brandip_77 | February 10, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I guess for the next 3 years or so in prison, he will be known as the Switching @$$ Boy.

Posted by: Raidersfan2 | February 10, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I would expect this behavior from a 15 y.o., but a 24 y.o. adult? Hope he enjoys doing time for the whole "gang", because they'er still out there comitting crimes. I noticed all the victims were woman. Punks.

Posted by: jckdoors | February 10, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"Hopefully the steep sentence will deter other idiots from victimizing people."

Unfortunately it probably won't. Most of the idiots who engage in this type of petty theft are at that age where they figure they are too 'smart' to get caught.

Posted by: mika_england | February 10, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Swisha Splash Boys? Seriously? We had tougher "gang" names in my white-bread, middle-class, mid-West part of the U.S., back in the ice age. And I agree - jillrocks2011, you're great.

Posted by: JustSaying1945 | February 10, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

24 years old with a crew name like that and robbing women for their cell phones.... he deserved to get caught. And jillrocks2011, I applaud you! I spoke up on the metro once, only to have other passengers tell me I'd better be quiet before I get beat up when I get off the train. I gave them the "are you serious" look and they were! Even the presumably 6'2", 180+ pound guy who only needed to growl and get into a tackle position to have all those kids run off the train as soon as the doors opened.

When did the tables turn and adults became scared of the kids they (helped) raise? Even better, when the sucka azz kids grow up to be sucka azz adults who rob women on the metro???

Posted by: dcdivacb | February 10, 2011 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"Swisha Splash Boys," sounds like a barbershop quartet.

Posted by: clancrs | February 10, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Kinda of a harsh sentence for phone snatchin.........But this is backwards ass America...Child molesters get less time.

Posted by: wuzup_2010 | February 10, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Yesterday a man got convicted for stealing over 6 million dollars from banks fraudulently and he got 4 years. Kind of puts things in prospective doesn't it?

Posted by: ged0386 | February 10, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@jillrocks2011: You are to be commended for your straightforward, caring approach. Thanks to you, those kids just may well remember your admonishments and (hopefully) change their ways...

Posted by: ntlekt | February 10, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that is a popular crime for the prison system. Doesn't soap in the shower make that similar sound of Swisha-Splash when one drops it on the floor. As for having the ability to run...hopefully an iPhone is at his immediate grasped.

Posted by: PowerandPride | February 10, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | February 10, 2011 10:49 AM |
**************************************

Thats NOTHING!!
I know of a Ride-On transit bus operator, who was CONVICTED of sexual molestation of a 12 year old girl, and got 1 year probation!!

Posted by: Robbnitafl | February 10, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

And he was able to keep his job !!!

Posted by: Robbnitafl | February 10, 2011 5:15 PM | Report abuse

In 2008, I had an iphone stolen from my hands in Cleveland Park, I wonder if its the same guy.

Posted by: kenk33 | February 10, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I had my phone grabbed as well. I hope he gets raped ass raped in jail. Pianfully

Posted by: jaytee22002 | February 10, 2011 6:49 PM | Report abuse