Police investigate fatal shooting in the District

Washington Post editors

UPDATE, 11:20 a.m.: The victim has been identified as Joel Watkins, 15, of the 600 block of Jefferson St NW

EARLIER UPDATE:

Police say the juvenile shot and killed Sunday night in Northwest Washington was 15 years old.

Investigators are still searching for witnesses to confirm how many people attacked the teen.

A motive for the shooting is not yet known.

************

Originial Post:
A juvenile was shot and killed Sunday night in Northwest Washington, police said.

Officers did not release the name or age of the male victim, who was shot at 9:30 p.m. at 7th and Rittenhouse Street in the Fourth District.

He was pronounced dead by the medical examiner's office.

Police are continuing to investigate, and we will bring you more information as it becomes available.

--Allison Klein

By Washington Post editors  |  February 22, 2010; 11:20 AM ET
Categories:  Allison Klein
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remains found at Md. bed and breakfast
Next: Six men charged in Loudoun prostitution sting

Comments

Pick one:

1) Drug dispute
2) Gang dispute
3) Female dispute
4) Disrespect

Posted by: uncivil | February 22, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

How about: "All of the Above"

Posted by: OttoOrange | February 22, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Pick one:

1) Drug dispute
2) Gang dispute
3) Female dispute
4) Disrespect

Posted by: uncivil | February 22, 2010 9:37 AM
-----------------------------
5) IRS Dispute

I guess this couldn't happen to this young man huh?

Posted by: ENJOYA | February 22, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Yet another predictable crime in an area plagued by them. MPD does nothing, Bowser does nothing, no one cares. I cannot wait to get out of DC! Such a sad and dysfunctional place, we reap what we sow.

Posted by: mendelsonmustgo | February 22, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

The sad thing is babies are having babies and there are no big mommas in these houses. Sad to read about another one of our kids dying to the hands of other kids.. How do these kids sleep at night I wonder!!!

Posted by: kishagb | February 22, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"WAPO is race baiting again by solciting comments on this senseless crime by will not allow comments on the IRS plane crasher"

And like clock work all the wiggers with deep seated hate are rushing to make a
a comment.

Posted by: blkisin | February 22, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

What can MPD do? Can't expect them to stop all of the violence that's going on in DC not to mention PG County. Why should the police be held responsible/accountable for what the mothers of these kids do or don't do. I'm assuming the "father/s" are nowhere to be found. Babies having babies who end up being juvenile delinquents & thugs spreading mayhem & destroying lives. The police are like the employee in a Safeway who has to clean up in Aisle 4. These stupid, silly, skanky teenage girls can't even take care of themselves properly. The last thing they need is a baby. Birth control, people!

Posted by: uncivil | February 22, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

To "uncivil":

It is so evident that your heart is completely infested, darkened, vile, and without any human compassion.

You need to know that one day you are going to have to give an account for every evil word you've ever written or spoken.

There is a principle of reaping and sowing!!

May God have mercy on your soul...it is apparent that you have no real clue as to what you're saying.

Posted by: newbirth1 | February 22, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

"No real clue"? Am I making this up? We don't have a lot of unwanted kids running around who grow up to be criminals/gang members? That's an outrageous statement, you're saying? We should blame the police/teachers instead of the parents?
Why don't you come back to earth & save the Christian nonsense.I don't need it or want it. How many men from the DC area that are in jail/prison would say that they had a mother who made them priority number 1 in her life? Not behind all of her boyfriends. Did you feel that your mother really loved you & cared about you? How many of these men behind bars would say that?

Posted by: uncivil | February 22, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

This is the SAME neighborhood that was in the WaPo because of the son of some famous drug dealer.

It doesn't surprise me that a young man is dead.

Posted by: BLKManCommonSense | February 22, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Its the police fault, white peoples fault, the washington post fault, everyone elses fault. If these people would stop pointing fingers and started looking for solutions we might not be commenting on this tragic death. I could not imagine this being my child. Its heartbreaking, but i can tell you this i know where my kids are at all times and its definately not hanging out on the street corner and i am involved in every aspect of their lives and yes i am a single women who works 2 jobs. Not just providing food & a roof over their heads. I dont care how much money you have or dont have instilling values in your children and spending time with them is free.

Posted by: nickatnight69 | February 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Now you see why black unemployment is nearly 19%, Now you see why black men are profiled, we have poor white, but they do not kill each other like black kids. Something is wrong with black men, and it is not unemployment or drugs, it their values

Posted by: nativeva1 | February 22, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

So Tom Palmer and Alan Gura, please explain to us how your concealed carry law would make this any better?

Posted by: blankspace | February 22, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

To "uncivil":

There is a principle of reaping and sowing!!

Posted by: newbirth1 | February 22, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse
*****************************************************************************************************Please explain your characterization of UNCIVIL's remarks?

What did he/she say that was wrong?

Please respond.

Have a nice day,

John Rentz

Posted by: jnrentz@aol.com | February 22, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I live a few blocks away from that shooting site. this report makes me feel even "safer" on the walk home every nite. The high school there is to blame, i think. At least once a month I get harassed by a group of young thugs from a distance threatening to rob or hurt me. That is until I get closer. Then they see a crazy, bearded, and toothless white guy with a large knife.

Posted by: ericroks | February 22, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

ericroks; The high-school in question is either Coolidge or Roosevelt...then again if you are the toothless man walking around with a knife...then there's a bigger story. Why blame the ills of the night on the daytime responsibility of the schools. I guess it was the church fault because the incident happen around 6:30pm or again you stil want to blame the school because it was not open on Sunday.

I must say upcoming of televised documentary about Washington, DC in the 1970's...makes me homesick.

Posted by: PowerandPride | February 22, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Please explain your characterization of UNCIVIL's remarks?
What did he/she say that was wrong?
Please respond.
Have a nice day,
John Rentz
===========================================Religious whack jobs never deal with facts, reality or indeed feel compelled to make much sense. It just makes them feel superior to threaten people with retaliation and retribution by some sort of divine intervention of what ever myths they believe in.

Posted by: checkered1 | February 22, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@ PowerandPride: It is Coolidge. I blame churches, but for something else. PS. did you know that there was a high school basketball game or some other function that packed the surrounding streets with cars (and taking my parking space in front of my house) that nite @ the school? Check facts before you put more of your foot in your mouth.

And as for my tooth: Insurance companies in this country are wonderful calling my missing tooth a "cosmetic problem" and won't pay for it. And as for the knife, i am not walking alone in the jungle unarmed. I would carry a gun if the district let me. NRA-4-EVER!

Posted by: ericroks | February 22, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nativeva1 | February 22, 2010 2:43 PM
------------------------------------
Who the heck are you to judge all black men? There are many who graduate and go to college, never join a gang, raise their kids, and lead good lives. These are the ones not in the news but that must be too hard for your lily white self to comprehend.

Posted by: scrappyc20001 | February 22, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

For NativeVA and all the other White Folks who can not show a ounce of COMPASSION! If we go through HISTORY we will only discover that one Race of People are the most Violent, lacks Moral Character, and leading the way as Pedophiles thats the White Man and Woman! Although, I could go back and forth with you on any subject you might want to talk about, I myself feel your beneath ME! While ericroks speaks on being that crazy knife carrying White Man something dawns on me "Never Carry a Knife too a GUN FIGHT!"

The District has seen many dangerous moments throughout its history! We tend to place much blame on the Parent or Parents! However, many years ago in DC this violence would have never gone on like this! During those times the whole Neighborhood raised every single kid on the block! Today, the make up of DC is much different which place a major role in the VIOLENCE on the Street! Looking for proof on this matter then look at Mayor Fenty, who at onetime was the Council Member for Ward #4! He did little then, and doing even less for this area! Next wave came from the new arrivals throughout the District, you know the ones the HIGH and Mighty! These folks moved here and only think about SELF until someone is killed in front of your door step!

If we can not provide these Children with knowledge and all eyes on them approach, then expect more killings! But if anyone here finally wants to put their actions up and stop with the BS WORDS then HOLLA! Will put you right on the front lines with the District Problems! One thing for SURE Fenty must go! Next, We need to force the People who are in charge in DC of weeding out all these BAD APPLES in BLUE! THose folks are playing a major part in this City of Violence!

Posted by: ifordc | February 22, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Your comments regarding White Folks who have no compassion is laughable. When was the last time you volunteered your time? I am sure it wasnt recently if it was you would know that a vast majority of white people are helping black youths. As far as white people are the most violent and lack moral character maybe you dont know the demographics of the US. 73% white,13% black & 14% hispanic. Please tell me in the metro area what white neighborhood that you would be fearful driving into because of violent gun toting white kids! Please tell me. The murder rate in DC is the lowest it has been in 45 years I wonder if this is due to white people moving back & cleaning up the mess. It's your precious children that hang out on the corner & kill each other and choose to sell drugs, rob & steal. I say let them its their choice and its less money i have to pay in taxes for their children, food stamps & health insurance. I will keep my lilly white self far away from the areas in which these people reside. I will also watch my kids, instill values, work, pay taxes and not look to others to support my family. It's so funny you never see spanish people blaming everyone else for their problems they tend to work together to try and better their families lives. Also, please tell me when a neighborhood goes from all white to all black why does the crime rate rise. Are the white folk creating the havoc.... Just curious...

Posted by: nickatnight69 | February 22, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

As scrappyc20001 Why are their more black men in jail than in collge??? Yes, I know their blacks in college, graduate from from college, yes I know blacks graduated from college before affirnmative action programs, why these young blacks thugs are killing each other, why are they killing black and white people, Why?? white homicides are mostly domestic or they are crazy as hell, you do not see a white kids kill a white kid over $10 dollars or Jordans, get ready their is a problem in the community their is no excuse for young black men to kill each other. I am sure you are tell that hip hop singers that demoralized black woman in their music is ok because they are black. Get real.

Posted by: nativeva1 | February 22, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse