The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Posted at 10:01 AM ET, 12/23/2010

Shot firefighter is 6-year veteran

By Allison Klein
Allison Klein

The off-duty D.C. firefighter who was shot early Wednesday morning is a 25-year-old man who has been with the department for six years, according to authorities.

He has been on leave without pay since March 2010, said Pete Piringer, spokesman for D.C. Fire/EMS. Piringer did not say why he was placed on leave.

The shooting happened sometime before 2 a.m., but it was not clear where because the man drove himself to a local hospital, officials said.

Piringer said it was unclear why the firefighter didn't call 911 for an ambulance.

Police and fire officials would not release the firefighter's name because he is a witness in the shooting.

By Allison Klein  | December 23, 2010; 10:01 AM ET
Categories:  Allison Klein, The District, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rockville man charged in D.C. shooting
Next: Help sought finding Md. bank robber

Comments

------------------------------
Well, I know if I got shot and I could still drive my car, well then I'm driving myself to the hospital. Plus I wouldn't trust DC Ambulance taking me anywhere, especially with my life flashing before my eyes.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | December 23, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

was he shot because he was a firefighter? Guy being a firefighter has nothing to do with story other than ID. Lead is guy was shot and drove himself to hospital. Off-duty not in performance of job is a civilian.

Posted by: mbna1 | December 23, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, I hope he wasn't shot while attempting to set a fire, as we hear about so many firefighters doing.

Posted by: clitteigh | December 23, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like he could have been out supplementing his income. He has been out on leave since March. Would not be the first time

Posted by: msdooby1 | December 23, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Does sound hinky (with no obvious firefighting connection--who cares what he does for a day job).

Some on-the-ball comments today....

Posted by: IncredulousAsEver | December 23, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Let's see... they won't say why he was on leave... no one knows where he was when he was shot... no one knows why he was shot... and out late at night.

I smell a rat.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | December 23, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

The DCFD spokesman said he was on "forced leave" for unspecified 'suspicion of criminal activity' ... he was speaking to channel 4 or 7 in front of the DCFD headquarters bldg.

Posted by: theRix | December 24, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I agree with others who point out that his job seems unrelated to the shooting -- at least from the "facts" of the story.

ThresaDudleyFat -- ??????? What a whacked post. Learn how to write and think.

Posted by: darrren12000 | December 24, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse