Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Father-son duo helps nab Anne Arundel burglary suspects

A 26-year-old Severn man arrived home Wednesday afternoon to see a stranger in his carport, standing next to a Lincoln Navigator, cell phone in hand, trunk open.

Over the next few minutes, he -- and his father -- helped capture three burglary suspects, according to Anne Arundel County Police.

Gasque, left, and Curtis. (Anne Arundel Police)

Here is how authorities say it unfolded.

The 26-year-old tried to block in the Navigator, but the man managed to jump inside, drive around him and head down Gambrills Road toward Interstate 97. He called his father, who was down the road. His father spotted the Navigator, fell in behind it on I-97, and called police.

"He said, 'Hey I'm behind this vehicle. He just burglarized my house," police spokesman Justin Mulcahy said Thursday morning.

Quite by chance, police were stationed along the interstate trying to nab aggressive drivers -- and here were two speeders for them. They pulled over both vehicles, and the father said the other man had just burglarized his home.

Officers talked to this driver, and found him to be in possession of a TV and other items that were not his, according to Mulcahy.

Back at the house, other officers spoke to the 26-year-old. He said he'd seen two other suspects on foot, near his house. Officers set up a perimeter, and eventually spotted them walking down a road carrying items that weren't theirs, police said.

Anne Arundel police identified Horace A. Curtis Jr., 27, of Baltimore, as the driver of the Navigator, and Charles D. Gasque, 29, also of Baltimore, as one of the suspects outside the home.

The third suspect, not identified because of his age, is a 17-year-old male from Baltimore. All three were charged with burglary, theft and property destruction, police said.

Neither the burglary victim nor the suspect he chased on Interstate 97 were cited for speeding. "Officers used discretion based on the totality of the circumstances," said Mulcahy.

He also said the father managed to get in front of the Navigator before both vehicles were pulled over.

This item has been updated since it was first published.

-- Dan Morse

By Dan Morse  |  May 13, 2010; 12:42 PM ET
Categories:  Anne Arundel , Dan Morse  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pot robbery turns to chase that turns to murder
Next: Charges filed in Fairfax school bus shooting


I hope they're both shanked in prison.

Posted by: kenk3 | May 13, 2010 11:21 AM

That's a good thought. The reality is they won't spend any time in prison and by now they are all probably breaking into someone else's house.

Posted by: gpl2411 | May 13, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Everyone wants to hire people with neck tattoos.

Posted by: kenk3 | May 13, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Just show me the hand(s) you stole it with...


Now, be on your way...take this tourniquet with you. Have fun trying to tie it on though

Posted by: kahlua87 | May 13, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad the police used discretion. I could easily see them ticketing the poor guy who just had his house burglarized.

Posted by: cynical1 | May 13, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse


Posted by: DCFanatic | May 13, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company