Man charged with pimping girl, 12

A 42-year-old Glen Burnie man is jailed in Anne Arundel County on charges he trafficked and prostituted a minor after a federal and state task force on human trafficking on Monday removed a 12-year-old girl from the suspect's motel room on Route 198 in Laurel.

Smith. (Anne Arundel Police)

Derwin Samuel Smith, 42, of McGuirk Drive, was accused of transporting the girl between the District and Atlantic City, where she worked for him as a prostitute, according to accounts she gave police.

The girl was reported missing from the District on May 25 and was believed to have been involved in prostitution, Anne Arundel police said.

She later told police she met the suspect in the District after he picked her up and paid her for sex.

-- Mary Pat Flaherty

By Mary Pat Flaherty  |  June 9, 2010; 10:25 AM ET
Categories:  Anne Arundel , Mary Pat Flaherty , Sex Crimes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ex-Va. teacher admits sex with teen
Next: Silver Spring death ruled a homicide

Comments

As of 12:11, the thumbnail picture that is being used of the perp on the cover of the web metro section is actually an image of the intern that was killed a few weeks ago in the woods in SE due to a ride dispute.

What the hell?

Posted by: kenk3 | June 9, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Shuch a fine gentleman-NOT!!... and from Glen Burnie... the cesspool of AA Co!

Posted by: lsf07 | June 9, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what entrepreneurial skillz this pimp will be using in prison.

Posted by: blackforestcherry | June 9, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

he should join the gentleman about to be executed in Utah by the firing squad... PIMP that chump!

Posted by: 40acres | June 9, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if he'll get prostituted out in whatever prison he ends up? That would seem a reasonable punshiment for him.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | June 9, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

D.A.N.

Posted by: chamidi | June 9, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

She is 12 years old......twelve!!!! I am sick about this...sick. What were you doing when you were 12? Certainly not Working as a prostitute. If convicted, this guy should be tarred and feathers and hung from the nearest tree; as should anyone convicted of sex crimes against children.

Posted by: Pstacy | June 9, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

He should be castrated and dipped in boiling peanut oil!

Posted by: dls_23 | June 9, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Life imprisonment + daily torture.

Posted by: BethPost | June 9, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me of the incident in New Jersey a few months back. What's wrong with these guys?

Posted by: traderdad37 | June 9, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

@kenk3: You know all black people look alike... it's an understandable mistake...

*dripping sarcasm*

Posted by: sigmagrrl | June 9, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

The horror stories just keep coming, are you serious? First where are the twelve year old' parents? I am just truly understanding my 21 year old daughter when she still complained that I was over the top with knowing my children' whereabouts. And that was until she left for college. How in the world have parents stopped being parents? Who do you complain to about that? And for the poor excuse for a human being of a suspect, how, just how can you ever, ever justify having sex with a 12 year and then selling her like she belonged to him. Somebody please tell me what is going on. Please, this is nuts.

Posted by: wisewunn | June 9, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Not to defend the pimp - he's scum. But what kind of a man pays to have sex with a 12-year-old girl?

Posted by: ceefer66 | June 9, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

This lowlife knew the girl was a child; he had sex with her. I don't know hos severe the law is for what he did but I hope he stays in prison for a long time/

Posted by: skinfreak | June 9, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

A 12 y/o is not "working as a prostitute." She is a VICTIM being exploited and abused--not just by the "pimp" but also by all of the men who paid for or otherwise had sex with her. Who knows what else this young girl endured?

Washington Post, I'm disappointed in you!

Posted by: A_Humanist | June 9, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

The victim's parent and the pimp dude ARE equally sinister and should all be whippe, jailed and lose weight. I am sure this happened to her because her overweight parent(s) could not get off of the snacks or sold their child to this monster pimp.

And, you wonder if there isa church connection and some preacher kneew about the abuse and tried to quell this horror to profit off the family, like so many preachers will do to keep the money in house, actually their big fat homes.

Posted by: FakeFatSEChurchby7DPo-Po | June 9, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

This makes me sick to my stomach. I have an 11yr old daughter and would see him or anyone else burned alive if they did something like this to my baby. Her innocence is gone.

Posted by: MsPeaches | June 10, 2010 5:14 AM | Report abuse

I heard on the news this morning that Smith was claiming he thought the girl was 22...I can't even imagine how a 12 year old would look anywhere near 22. He's just trying to cover his own hinder...but apparently he doesn't realize ignorance is no excuse under the law.

Posted by: akchild | June 10, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Actually, @A_Humanist, it clearly states that she was missing from the District after he picked her up and paid her for sex. So it is possible that she knew exactly what she was doing. So, if anything whether or not she's was working as a prostitute or was simply a victim who was abducted isn't clear from the article itself.

Posted by: cpulaski | June 10, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Delete my comments all you want wapo...I knew this scum from jr. high. His whole family is garbage. Their DNA should be removed from the face of the earth. His older brother got electrocuted working for 'the local electrical municipality'; too bad all of them weren't fried to a crisp.

What's that smell? Smells like bacon...

Posted by: kahlua87 | June 10, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse