The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Posted at 4:50 PM ET, 12/28/2010

Police: Man kills would-be robber

By David P. Marino-Nachison

A man who tried to rob a Laurel Dunkin' Donuts was shot dead by the shop owner Tuesday morning, authorities said.

Officers responded to the Dunkin' Donuts in the 3400 block of Laurel Fort Meade Road in response to a report of a robbery around 3:30 a.m., Anne Arundel police said.

According to police, a 29-year-old man entered the store, implied that he had a weapon and announced a robbery. After a struggle with the owner, police said, the man was shot. He was taken to Prince George's Shock Trauma, where he died, according to police.

The name of the robbery suspect has not yet been released, police said, as his next of kin had not been notified. The name of the store owner, who police said was 48, was also not released.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Detective Jason McNemar at 410-222-3463 or the Anne Arundel County Police Department at 410-222-8610. You can also contact Crime Stoppers by calling 1-866-7LOCKUP or texting "MCS" and a message to CRIMES (274637).

This item has been updated since it was first published.

By David P. Marino-Nachison  | December 28, 2010; 4:50 PM ET
Categories:  Anne Arundel, David P. Marino-Nachison
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Inmate suit can proceed: Judge
Next: Man ordered held in son's death

Comments

Good!

Thank you to the hard-working shop owner for saving the taxpayers' money.

Posted by: stockaeyahoocom | December 28, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I guess its tragic when anyone dies but at least it was the criminal in this case. Saved the taxpayers the cost of prosecution and incarceration.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 28, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Nice aiming :) None of that "in the knee BS"

Posted by: ms1234 | December 28, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Yep, that's what can happen when you try to rob people.

Posted by: fluxgirl | December 28, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kapnnem0 | December 28, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

One word: hero.

Posted by: traderdad37 | December 28, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Kapnnem0,
"That's the last time I'll say, "I'd kill for a Dunkin Donuts cream-filled donut."

LOL...I was thinking the same thing but for the coffee.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 28, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

It is a shame that places like DC make it so hard for a business owner and citizens residing there to protect themselves like this person was able to do in Maryland and also recently two cases in Virginia. As we see every day, the strict gun laws in Washington DC do almost nothing to curb gun violence, and DC with the strictest gun laws has enjoyed the highest gun related offenses over the years. Everyone in America should be able to arm and defend themselves from these scum bag criminals! I only hope that this shop owner will not be charged with any offense for defending himself!

Posted by: HotelGuest | December 28, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Good! One less thug on the streets.

Posted by: asmith1 | December 28, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Just the feel-good story I needed to brighten my day! Another scumbag bites the dust.

Posted by: clevelandsteamer | December 28, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

A prime example of how having your own "equalizer" can save your life and the taxpayers the burden of housing a criminal. If only the DC Council would get that message, we would be that much better off.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | December 28, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The story implies that the robber was shot with his own gun. Don't know that the owner had one, but either way....justice.

Posted by: kirk2 | December 28, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Saves the criminal justice system the trouble of letting the perp go free.

Kudos to the shop owner.

Posted by: Gidgmom | December 28, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad the shop owner defended himself. If he hadn't, he might have been the one who ended up dead. I only hope that our frequently a$$ backwards justice system doesn't decide to prosecute the shop owner.

Posted by: CAmira5 | December 28, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I love happy endings.

Posted by: thebossman | December 28, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Wonder when O'Malley will have the shopkeeper brought up on charges.

Once one guy realizes he doesn't need the State to protect him, won't that realization spread? My God, it'll be anarchy!

Posted by: Please_Fix_VAs_Roads | December 28, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Great! Good job Dunkin Donuts guy!

Posted by: johng1 | December 28, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kirk2 | December 28, 2010 3:27 PM

----------

That would make this story even more b@d@ss!

Posted by: johng1 | December 28, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I hope there was a security camera in the shop so we can enjoy the video.

Posted by: clevelandsteamer | December 28, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Excellent!

Posted by: Trout1 | December 28, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Donkun Donuts should shoot a commercial with the owner.

Posted by: Silly_Willy_Bulldog | December 28, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

The shop owner should be given a reward and a medal.

Posted by: priveye | December 28, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Excellent work by the shopkeeper. One more scumbag off the face of the earth at no cost the rest of us.

Posted by: futbolclif | December 28, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Good News!

Posted by: FutureJumps | December 28, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Unfreakin' believable. WAPO really missed the REAL story.

Robber was shot and killed in a "Dunkin' Donuts" doughnut and coffee shop, during an attempted store robbery. No police presence was in the vicinity or in the shop.

Amazing. Well, this doesn't happen in Virginia, because most of the customers are already carrying pistols.

Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | December 28, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Donkun Donuts should shoot a commercial with the owner.

Posted by: Silly_Willy_Bulldog | December 28, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse
-------------------
Yup!

Sleepy guy:

"Time to make the donuts...

Time to make the donuts...

Time to shoot the knucklehead."

Posted by: Kapnnem0 | December 28, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

First of all the owner was lucky...as a rule the bad guys come in brandishing a weapon to lower the odds of an employee drawing theirs...

All business owners should be authorized to have a weapon there after passing a range test and getting a llicense....

Posted by: pentagon40 | December 28, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

How many doughnuts were lost by the police responding to the shooting?

Good Job Shop Owner!!

Now we pause, for the victims family to come forth, saying he WAS a good boy & was only asking for a cup of coffee & a doughnut, because he was hungry & thirsty.

Posted by: Robbnitafl | December 28, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I know that DD. That's a pretty heavily traveled road, even at that time of night. I hope there are witnesses or some video to support the owner's story. Call me skeptical, but I tend to suspect the survivor's account of events (just like the kids in Baltimore who were "passing around" a semi and one ended up dead, shot in the head). I know I wouldn't want to go in to DD for a coffee and end up getting caught in a crossfire.

Also, I wonder if the perp's family/friends will try to exact "revenge". Anyway you cut it, this is way too much grief for someone just trying to make a living one donut at a time. Rolling up to the DD around my way is like rolling up to a bank, what with all the bullet proof glass. They lock the doors at night (even though Balt. Cty. police is regularly through the area). What a surprise PGPD wasn't around; someone should have some 'splainin' to do.

Posted by: gbooksdc | December 28, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I encourage those who live or work in Laurel MD to patronize this store.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | December 28, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

That's what the f he gets!!

Posted by: Angryman | December 28, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Good! One less thug on the streets.

Posted by: asmith1 |
===============================
FINALLY!! Something we agree on!! LOL

Posted by: Angryman | December 28, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

And I don't want to hear any sob stories from his family, talking about how he was turning his life around!! Well guess what? The guy he tried to rob helped him by introducing him to JESUS!!

Posted by: Angryman | December 28, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

A-l-l-l-l-l-r-i-i-i-i-g-h-t!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | December 28, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Dunkin' Donuts robber shot full o' holes!?

;^)

Posted by: IncredulousAsEver | December 29, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

This is where the "two gun rule" comes in: It's important to have two identical firearms. The police will have to take the gun the fellow shot the perp with, for investigative purposes (he'll get it back eventually). In the meantime, the fellow needs protection, which is where his second gun comes in. Be prepared ain't just for the Boy Scouts.

Posted by: robert7ii | December 29, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: robert7ii | December 29, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: robert7ii | December 29, 2010 1:10 AM | Report abuse

What a great feel good story in the waning days of 2010. I love it when an intented victim uses deadly force because it sends such a message to the world that when you are bad and you try to rob someone--consequences like this can occur. Too often people think "Oh that guy will get scared and give me easy money and I can do it again until I run out or go to Club Fed." Well as my mama always said "you can't go to Club Fed when you have a bullet in yo' head."

I hope the cleanup wasn't too bad (I am thinking about the propety).

Hey let's all frequent this DD whenever we are in Laurel--this guy is a hero!

Posted by: 537068 | December 29, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

I hope the cleanup wasn't too bad (I am thinking about the propety).

Hey let's all frequent this DD whenever we are in Laurel--this guy is a hero!

Posted by: 537068 | December 29, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Good he won't rob anyone else, Shoot To Kill when anyone tries to rob/steal from you, that way the court's will not be able to let them go, they won't rob/kill anyone ever again.

Posted by: onesugar | December 29, 2010 5:04 AM | Report abuse

There's a book called More Guns, Less Crime, by Dr John Lott. Tells us why, northen VA for example has far less robberies than the District. It all has to do with shop owners in VA arming themselves while DC in its infinite wisdom restricts its lawful citizens from keeping and bearing arms.

Posted by: gblairgib | December 29, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

When is the world going to celebrate life and stop celebrating death

Posted by: nrhicks | December 29, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm truly sadden about the lost of life. But I hope it sets an example for future would be criminals. That is the very reason I own GUNS! Break in my home and I'm going to blow you butt away. I'd feel sorry for taking a life but I'm going to attempt to kill you!

Posted by: noneckmd | December 29, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Seems justified to me. My hubs goes to that DD all the time.

Posted by: HappyArmyWife | December 29, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." Sure glad that the donut shop owner did not have to wait for the police to try to solve his murder at the hands of the thug.

Posted by: segeny | December 29, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

He deserves a medal and the thanks of his community.

We need more of this.

Posted by: hogsmile | December 29, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Silly_Willy_Bulldog,
"Donkun Donuts should shoot a commercial with the owner."

I can just see it now..."Come to Dunkin Donuts...they're killer!" or "Dunkin Donuts are just to die for!".

Seriously though, I'm glad no innocent parties were injured. Wonder how long until to dead guy's family files suit?

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 29, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

"According to police, a 29-year-old man entered the store, implied that he had a weapon and announced a robbery."

So there's 2 guns? And were is the witness?
I don't think this story is over by a long shot.

Posted by: jjgrah | December 29, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Christmas came twice for me after I read this story!

Posted by: jab00 | December 29, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

this guy deserves a medal

Posted by: pofinpa | December 29, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

pentagon40, it is legal for supervisory employees to carry handguns within the confines of a business establishment in MD.

Posted by: red2million | December 29, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Score one for the good guys!

By the way, nrhicks, I'm celebrating the continued life of the store owner.

As for attempted revenge on the owner, that would be an outstandingly stupid thing to try. First, the owner is likely to double tap the avengers too. And if they get him, the rest of the community is going to hunt them down for it. No safe havens for them.

Posted by: mhoust | December 29, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

The crime was stopped in the most effective way possible so what's left to gather info on or investigate? Criminal robs store. Defending his life and property, store owner kills robber. The End.

Posted by: Nghbrhdwatch | December 29, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

What is the big deal ? I get held up every April 15, except the several years I spent in Korea when I could carry a gun openly

Posted by: buckaroo5 | December 29, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

was the deceased a robber ? or a drug-deal gone bad ?

the Metro fuzz is on it !

Posted by: John_Chas_Webb | December 29, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I am glad to see so many commenters supporting the robbery victim. I wonder, though, if he will receive the same support from the prosecutors in the Peoples Republic of Maryland.

Posted by: VelaFella | December 29, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Although I live in Colorado now, I grew up in Montgomery Cnty (Silver Spring) and I still remember that area fairly well. Two points strike me:
1) There were no police in a doughnut shop? My, how times have changed.
2) Guns don't kill people, bullets do; for all those comments questioning DC for not allowing handgun ownership, be careful what you request. DC might pass a revised gun ownership bill, but make bullets illegal!

Posted by: RaceTrackLarry | December 29, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

This will send a clear and loud message to all thugs and robber to stop stealing from the hardworking people like the shop owner who makes his living by selling one donut at a time. It's time for the thugs to roll up their sleeves and work hard just like the millions of good American.

Posted by: hardboy | December 29, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Another scumbag off the street forever. Good for the society.

The shop owner should have the right to defend himself. The robber mentioned he had a weapon, and believe, he intends to use it if he didn't get what he wanted. What do you think the shop owner should do? Fork over his own hard-earn money and allow this guy to do same thing to the next victim?

You see, this is the problem of the legal system in this country. A person got robbed, struggles with the assailant, trying to defend his own life, shot the assailant (accidentally or not), and got the sentence of 2nd degree murder. What? What does that say to all the robbers out there? Yup, it is OK to rob (rape, kill, steal, or what have you) and no one would dare to harm you. You do 2 years max in jail and you'll be out in no time.

Good riddance, scumbag!

Posted by: mbaorbust | December 29, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

When is the world going to celebrate life and stop celebrating death

Posted by: nrhicks
*********************
Next Tuesday from 8:00 to 8:05am.

Posted by: overed | December 29, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, now it begins.
The owner will have to look over his shoulder to avoid being killed by the low-life family survivors, or simply take the initiative and kill-off this criminal's entire family.

What a waste of fine ammunition...

Posted by: wcmillionairre | December 29, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, now it begins.

What a waste of fine ammunition...

Posted by: wcmillionairre | December 29, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for the always popular unofficial memorial to the victim of the shooting being set up...followed shortly by statements from distant family members of how the guy attempting to rob the place "was really a good guy", "starting to turn his life around" or my personal favorite "but they didn't need to shoot him".

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 29, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Amen, mbaorbust! Good for the shop keeper.

Posted by: Guest1234 | December 29, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Probably just a dirty crackhead. One less piece of scum to contend with later.

Posted by: veerle1 | December 29, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Y'all don't know anything about this criminal, and yet you're gleeful over his death. You should be ashamed of yourselves. You won't be, in fact you'll deride my comments, but you should be.

OK, I can make knee-jerk statements borne of ignorance too: Y'all are as scummy as the criminal.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | December 29, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse