Man jumps from Rosslyn office building

A man plunged to his death from a Rosslyn office building Tuesday morning, in what police said was a suicide.

Police said the man, who was in his mid-30s, intentionally jumped from the building in the 1300 block of North 17th Street around 11:30 a.m.

"It is being investigated clearly as a suicide. It was not a fall," said Detective Crystal Nosal, an Arlington police spokeswoman.
-- Maria Glod

By Maria Glod  |  July 20, 2010; 12:33 PM ET
Categories:  Arlington
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brothers face drug charges in Md.
Next: Ex-IRS agent pleads guilty

Comments

Selfish I must say, because why not just hang yourself in you own home where you're the only person and nobody else has to witness such an act of weakness

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | July 20, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Calling it selfish seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of the act. Taking one's own life is not selfish, defined as being concerned with one's own self and one's own advantage over others. This guy destroyed his self in one of the most spectacularly gruesome ways imaginable. Watch the movie "The Bridge" some time for a real portrayal of suicide and its causes.

Posted by: mercredi | July 20, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

IMO, calling the act selfish is akin to saying they were right to off themselves. Selfish is when you are more concerned with the break up of your daily routine than someone's life.

Posted by: pupinthesun | July 20, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I was there 30 minutes later. I was 30 minutes late for lunch. If I had made it on time I would have seen him hit the pavement from the cafe window on the first floor. Apparently he was really desperate. The building had windows which could not be opened so he used a chair or something to smash open the window creating a hole big enough to jump out, and then he jumped. The sidewalk (actually a large patio with tables) was covered in broken glass. I didn't see the body because I was late for lunch and the area was already roped off with yellow tape to keep people at a distance. Police were still standing around interviewing observers for their report.

Posted by: commentator2 | July 20, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Sad. I know where that is. I am surprised there were no people sitting out there or maybe there was and the broken glass made them move away.

Posted by: pinckneyje1 | July 21, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

I used to work in the building....some of the windows have + engraved in them, which mean they can be pushed open for rescue. I am not sure if this was one of those windows....

Posted by: dhs44 | July 21, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I work in the building directly in front of this office, heard the window break and saw the body. It looked more like a scene out of CSI. Completely unreal. A nearby woman claimed that she heard this person banging on the glass right before he jumped. I just wonder how those in his office must feel. Three hours afterwards people are moving about as if it had not even happened. Just horrifically sad...I pray for him and all those effected by his actions. It's my hope that people really understand that it's never serious enough to take your own life. There are always options even if we dont like the ones we have. Never be afraid to ask for help...or to offer.

Posted by: trynahyde | July 21, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Well I will pray for those he left behind. But I was there and saw the entire event. I am actually having a hard time sleeping. I can not get the screams and scene of of my head.

Posted by: gurl66 | July 21, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I work across the street. Based on the hole in the window and the jagged edges, I don't think this window was one that could be pushed open for rescues. I feel extreme sadness for someone who apparently felt things were so bad that this was the only solution left to him. My heart goes out to his coworkers, friends and family and to all who witnessed this desperate and sad act.

Posted by: 123458 | July 21, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

It wasnt the fall that killed him.

It was the sudden stop, when he hit the sidewalk, that killed him.

R.I.P. to the mans family.

Posted by: Robbnitafl | July 21, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I work in the building next door. The only reaction I can muster, even now, is anger at the selfishness of this person's final act, although I feel very sorry for those he left behind.
His CHOICE to take his life at work was a very public statement, and it impacted hundreds of people. Our buildings were locked down for the remainder of the work day, leaving only the garage exits, and even those were blocked briefly for some reason. For those of us who routinely move between buildings, this meant we were unable to get to meetings or return to our offices, or in a best case scenario the time to travel between buildings via the garage exits required much longer. In the office, this was the primary topic of conversation, speculation and gossip.
It was a lost work day for so many people, most who never even knew this guy existed before he decided to kill himself. His bad choice sure did make a statement - "Look what you made me do." Now there's something to write on his tombstone.
I hope those he left behind will be able to move forward with their lives. They did not make him do this. He CHOSE to do it to himself.

Posted by: one_of_many_contractors | July 21, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I was also a nearby contractor that was affected by this tragedy. I don't think anyone can judge this person as being just selfish. Obviously, he was in a lot of pain and wasn't thinking rationally. Yes, our day was interrupted, attending meetings was more difficult, and unfortunately many people that saw the actual fall may be traumatized for a long time. However, the main point is this should have been prevented. We all have our free agency but we also have a responsibility to take care of one another. I know a few other acquaintances that have killed themselves and I just wish I would have done something to let them know I cared about them so they didn't feel so hopeless. I think we all can empathize with living with some kind of pain and luckily we can deal with it without resorting to something so extreme. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends and everyone affected.

Posted by: xavier22 | July 22, 2010 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Why was this event reported in " The Crime Scene"?

Posted by: tomlang | July 22, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

In most jurisdictions (Virginia included), suicide is considered a crime.

Posted by: microsoft | July 23, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse