6 trials for serial stabbing suspect
A Michigan judge ordered four attempted-murder trials Thursday stemming from a summer stabbing spree in Michigan, raising the number of trials to six for a man accused of being a serial killer.
District Court Judge Nathaniel Perry found enough evidence to send four more cases against Elias Abuelazam to Genesee County Circuit Court.
Perry's rulings mean Abuelazam now faces a murder trial and five attempted murder trials. The number could grow. He returns to court Friday for a similar hearing in the stabbing death of Arnold Minor in Flint.
Another murder case is scheduled for a probable cause hearing Dec. 16.
"They're piling 'em up," defense lawyer Brian Morley told The Associated Press. "It's going to be hard on me but equally difficult on the prosecutor's office."
Fourteen people were stabbed, five fatally, last spring and summer in and around Flint, 70 miles north of Detroit.
Bill Fisher was stabbed in Flint on June 26. Testifying in court, he said he called 911 and begged the dispatcher: "Please send an ambulance. Don't let me die out here."
Many victims have said Abuelazam approached them for help with directions or his Chevy Blazer before they were knifed.
Abuelazam, 34, had been living and working in Flint less than a year. He was captured Aug. 11 in Atlanta while trying to fly to his home country, Israel. He's also charged with attempted murder in Toledo, Ohio, and is suspected in attacks in Leesburg, Va., where he formerly lived.
A motive hasn't been disclosed.
The Associated Press
| December 10, 2010; 7:34 AM ET
Categories: Around the Nation, From the Courthouse, Homicide, Updates
Save & Share: Previous: Report on Md. juvenile center escape
Next: Child porn indictment for Md. man
Posted by: gomezstega | December 11, 2010 4:44 AM | Report abuse