Natalee Holloway missing persons center set to open in D.C. in June

The 2005 disappearance of high school graduate Natalee Holloway in Aruba during a senior class trip set off a media frenzy that resulted in several books, a Lifetime network movie and hours and hours of coverage. But years have passed and there is still no word on what happened to Holloway.

Her mother, Beth Holloway, who has worked tirelessly to keep attention on her daughter's disappearance, will be in Washington in June to announce the opening of the Natalee Holloway Resource Center, a new nonprofit to assist families searching for missing relatives.

The center will be based at the National Museum of Crime & Punishment on Seventh Street NW near Chinatown and the Verizon Center. The museum features Holloway's disappearance in its "Cold Case" exhibit.

The nonprofit plans to serve as a crisis clearinghouse for families of missing persons in the United States and abroad, according to a statement from the museum. The nonprofit plans to give family members a plan, contact information, a media liaison and other services. It also will offer guidelines for children and adults to travel safely, including creating a national network of college volunteers who will promote the group's safe travel program to high school and college students.

The launch is scheduled for June 8. The museum will be open from 5 to 7 p.m. at no charge. More information can be found on the center's Web site.

“In creating this organization, we hope to prevent as many missing person cases as possible." Holloway said in a statement. "But if tragedy does strike and a person goes missing, we want to provide the families support and reduce the numerous challenges that I experienced, and hopefully lead to the rescue and recovery of many more missing persons across the globe.”

--Theola Labbé-DeBose

By Theola Labbé-DeBose  |  May 27, 2010; 11:01 AM ET
Categories:  Around the Nation , Around the World , Cold Cases , The District , Unsolved
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Va. woman charged with murder-for-hire in husband's death
Next: D.C. correctional officer sentenced in bribery case

Comments

FIVE YEARS LATER!

Flashback

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway

Page 200: My child. My beautiful daughter. I can't save her. It's too late. Natalee is gone. And second to the great tragedy of losing her is if we fail to learn from what has happened.

I could be any parent in the world. And no parent should ever go through this experience. Natalee could be anyone's daughter. And in these thoughts a new path is made clear. There is something I can do. Many people reached out to us, and I can now reach back to them. It might be too late to save Natalee, but it's not too late to save others. And it's time now to make good on my pledge to stand before high-school and college students, law enforcement professinals, victims' rights groups, travelers of all ages, and anyone interested in personal safety to share Natalee's story and our hard lessons, so that others might learn from them.

++++++

Posted by: Tamikosmom | May 27, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it, we will never know what happened to her. We do know that an parents of an Alabama high school senior class sent their kids to Aruba on an all you can drink extravaganza, to evade the drinking laws of the US, and this happened.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | May 27, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

A LIFE FOREVER CHANGED

Flashback - May 30, 2005

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway

Page 23: Somewhere amid our conversation, between the chuckles and the small talk, my cell phone rings. I don't recognize the number, but answer it anyway, which I usually don't do.

t's a young girl. "Mrs. Twitty? My mom ... umm ... my mom, she umm ... wants to talk to you." It's the daughter of Judi, the travel agent. They are in Birmingham. It seems like an eternity before Jodi takes the phone.

"Tell me what's going on," I say in a voice much firmer than the one I usually hear coming from my mouth.

She simply says, "Natalee didn't show up this morning to get on the plane."

I have just answered the proverbial dreaded phone call that no mother or father every wants to receive. The one we fear from the moment our children are born. The one that changes a parent's life forever.

Posted by: Tamikosmom | May 27, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

LIE #1

Flashback - May 30, 2005

Loving Natalee – Beth Holloway

Page 30: The last information communicated from the students before they board their plane is that this Joran guy is a tourist from Holland. And he is staying at the Holiday Inn.

Page 39: It takes a few moments to absorb this information. The supposed tourist who befriended some of Natalee's classmates and who told them he was staying at their hotel lied to them. He isn't a tourist. He isn't staying here.

Posted by: Tamikosmom | May 27, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

LIE #2

Flashback - May 31, 2005

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway

Page 45: ... Joran says he is in a poker tournament at the back of the casino at the Wyndham Hotel.

Page 48: Joran and Deepak have supposedly returned from a night of gambling at the Wyndham. It’s about three o’clock in the morning. It’s a school night. They aren’t dressed as if they have been to a casino. They are in grubby T-shirts and shorts. I make a mental note that I will ask to see the casino footage from the Wyndham later on. Just to see if they were really there tonight or, rather, this morning.

Page 121: And finally we learn from the Wyndham Hotel manager that Joran and Deepak do not appear on their security videos at the time the two claimed to be at the poker tournament there – the same time we were stand in the van der Sloots’ front yard in the wee hours of May, 30.

Posted by: Tamikosmom | May 27, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

LIE #3

Flashback - May 31, 2005

Loving Natalee – Beth Holloway

Page 51: ... Joran and Deepak demonstrate with great detail where they took Natalee, and how she stumbled and bumped her head getting out of the car, describing her over and over as “so drunk.”

Joran and Deepak then show me exactly where they dropped Natalee off in front of the hotel entrance, speading their arms in illustration of the area, which is right outside the front entrance of the Holiday Inn lobby.

Page 97: The black and white footage plays. The video is grainy, but clearly shows the lobby entrance of the Holiday Inn. I ask them to rewind I and play it again.

Natalee never appears at the hotel where Joran and Deepak so elaborately demonstrated they left her. She never came back. She never got out of that car and stumbled and bumped her head like they told me.

Posted by: Tamikosmom | May 27, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Loving Natalee
A Mother's Testament of Hope and Faith
By Beth Holloway

ISBN: 9780061452277; ISBN10: 0061452270; Imprint: HarperOne ; On Sale: 10/2/2007

++++++++

Aruba: The Tragic Untold Story of Natalee Holloway and Corruption in Paradise
by Dave Holloway (Author), Larry Garrison (Author)

Publisher: Thomas Nelson Publishers-Business (Mar 15 2006)
ISBN-10: 1595550631
ISBN-13: 978-1595550637

Posted by: Tamikosmom | May 27, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Flashback - May 31, 2005

Loving Natalee – Beth Holloway

Page 58: Detective Jacobs asks us to come to the police station in Bubali in about an hour to give our official statements.

Page 59: Jug, Jodi, and I arrive at Bubali at eight o’clock sharp …

Detective Jacobs is sitting behind the counter in a reclining swivel office chair. As we move toward him, he leans back in his chair. “We’re ready to give our statements,” we say, anxious to tell him the facts about Natalee’s disappearance we’ve gathered thus far, so that an investigation can get under way.

Page 60: He pushes one hand and then the other down and across his belly, which is extended by his rearing back. He says, “I’ll have to eat my frosted flakes first,” and then, running a hand across his jaw, adds, “and get a shave before I can deal with you.” And with that he gets up from the chair, exits through the little swinging door, and disappears ….

A half hour passes. Then an hour.

I WISH THERE WAS AN AMERICAN LAW ENFORCEMENT CONTACT HERE TO HELP US, SOMEONE TO ACT AS AN LIAISON.

I get up from the plastic chair, go outside, and sit down in the gravel driveway ….

I’m outside about thirty minutes when another officer, police chief Jan van der Straten, comes out to the driveway and tells me bluntly and curtly to get up. “You can’t sit in the gravel like this. Come back inside.”

Inside, two more hours pass …

After almost three hours detective Jacobs comes back into the waiting area and tells me he doesn’t need me today.

Posted by: Tamikosmom | May 28, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps if Beth hadn't played "ugly American" with her friends who jetted off to Aruba by private jet, and then utterly alienated the Arubans after they had helped so much, Natalee would have been found. I would read the Wikipedia article, it is an extremely fair treatment of what happened, and is a top level featured article, unlike Elizabeth Ann Reynolds Holloway Twitty Holloway Ramsey's self serving and self aggrandizing "book"

Posted by: Nemo24601 | May 30, 2010 2:31 AM | Report abuse