Video: Dog leads Alaska police to fire

Alaska State Troopers are presenting a special award to Buddy, a German Shepherd that led authorities to a fire at his owners' property. The owner suffered minor burns.

By Washington Post Editors  |  April 23, 2010; 8:31 AM ET
Categories:  Around the Nation , Fires & Fire Safety
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Attempted Pr. William traffic stop leads to gun, drug arrests after chase
Next: Four life sentences for Va. man linked to 1993 rape

Comments

That dog is very smart. At the beginning he looks back to make sure he has the cops attention before he takes off. When he gets to the house he stops and looks back at the cop as if to say here it is. That is true communication between man and dog.

Posted by: BeaverCleavage | April 24, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

It has been ascertained that Buddy started the fire himself maliciously. The depth of the cover up regarding this case is shocking.

Posted by: Hobittual | April 24, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hobittual | April 24, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

If Buddy had started the fire on purpose who would not have to look for help now would he??

Posted by: BeaverCleavage | April 24, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I would be proud to have this dog a member of my family, maybe a little brother or something. Maybe even a first cousin.

Posted by: matrox | April 24, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Hobittual obviously lacks opposable thumbs (I work with guys like him).

Good job Buddy!
AWESOME!

Posted by: ferneday | April 24, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

goes to show you, you never know how smart animals really are. makes me think of all of them that are slaughtered for our food. don't get me wrong, I love a good steak as much as the next guy, but as I get older, i find myself just not wanting to eat meat less and less, for this reason. there are people that would find buddy tasty.

Posted by: okeefe58 | April 25, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

he was close to being "flame broiled" himself

Posted by: okeefe58 | April 25, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

we used to have a german shepherd that would jump our fence in the front of the house (nobody knew this, at the time) if we didn't see him around the yard, we'd call him, from the back door. pretty soon, he'd come from around the side of house. then one day, I was at the front window, while my brother was calling him in the back. pretty soon I see him tearing ass up the street, jumps the fence, then nonchalantly walks around to the back like "hey, whats up?" another smart little devil

Posted by: okeefe58 | April 25, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse