Video: Seven-year-old girl killed during Detroit police raid

Detroit police are offering the family of 7-year-old Ayana Jones their condolences for the child's death during a police raid. They are now investigating the circumstances surrounding the killing.

By Washington Post Editors  |  May 17, 2010; 1:08 PM ET
Categories:  Around the Nation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man armed with shotgun robs armored truck employee
Next: Former ambulance driver pleads guilty to stealing heart monitors

Comments

Im so sorry for the life of that innocent child being lost. I dont fully blame the police. They were doing their job. However,they are suppose to protect and serve. The shouldnt have exercised extreme caution when shooting in the presence of a child. A child is innocent and its not suppose to be punished for the actions of adults. Furthermore, its not the police officers fault they were forced to protect themselves from this family. I think that if the family were truly concerned about their childs well-being they should have never allowed a fugetive into their home, and even if they did, their child should be no where near the front door in expectation of the authorities potential coming for the fugative they are habouring. The family has the audacity to sit up on camera and seem upset. Its their fault for not protecting the well being of that child. It is repulsive to know that the parents of that beautiful little girl are that neglagent. Please blame someone else for their mistakes. Had the woman no argued and posed a potential threat, that little girl would have a life. Blame the woman who decided to protect a criminal instead of that innocent child. She's the reason for your loss. However, stupidity and all...my condolences go out to the families of the victim. Hopefully it will serve as a lesson learned.

Posted by: cvega1983 | May 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Just to correct some facts. The fugitive was not in their house. Police raided the wrong house and killed a 7-year old girl. They are innocent victims. All the blame should be shouldered solely by the police.

Posted by: bperk420 | May 17, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Dear God! So the police stormed into this woman's home, did not leave when she asked them to - struggled with her when she tried to use force to get them out... and bperk420 says she is to blame for the child's death because (to paraphrase) "...those kind of people don't protect their children."

Ordinarily I would think that was a racist comment, but because she spoke out of context, with absolutely no facts, and had the entire story completely wrong, I think she must be "one of those type of people".

I won't even mention her atrocious spelling.

The bottom line is that the police forced themselves into her home against her wishes in some kind of jack-boot, Facist style simply because they could. Because she was black and has no civil rights anymore.

And for anyone who wants to argue my last point, the fact that it happened is my proof.

Posted by: middatsdom | May 17, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

First of all: wrong house!
Secondly: no struggle, police are now suggesting the shooter "might" have "collided" with the elderly woman, rather than her actively resisting.
Thirdly--no one deserves to have their child killed by a supposed professional who should be able to have control of his weapon. This nation must address the plague of innocent deaths and injuries caused by military-style execution of "no-knock" warrants.

Also, it is interesting to point out that the police have shrouded the shooter's identity while suspending him with pay. He enjoys his vacation, while any civilian who shot dead a 7-year-old would have name and image plastered across every media outlet in the country.

Cops who shoot non-suspect innocents should be arrested and processed as would any other suspect.

Posted by: oakleafmold | May 17, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey, middatstorm, that wasn't bperk's comment you were replying to!

Posted by: bperk420 | May 17, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Do commenters read before commenting?Police raided the wrong house and there was NOT a struggle. The article makes it very clear the police were at the wrong house.

Perhaps WaPo should change the headline to read "Police raid wrong house and kill sleeping 7 year old " for those who can't read and comprehend.

Posted by: rlj1 | May 17, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Before we condemn a man who chose to be a police officer in the most dangerous city in the U.S., for little pay, lets get all the facts. The information that this was the "wrong house" is incorrect as the murder suspect was arrested at the home and his car was parked at the home. In addition the girl's 46 y/o grandmother began struggling with the police officer. She is as much responsible for this young girl's death as the officer. A police officer accidently firing his gun, when being attacked in the home where a murder suspect is hiding is tragic. Letting your daughter live in a home with a murderer who is wanted by the police is negligence. God Bless little Aiyana.

Posted by: jainubeezy | May 17, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I'm reading all the posted comments and its time to stop blaming and start praying. Its really sad and tradgic that such a bright little angel is now gone from her family. There are some who ask a question - why would house a fugitive within the same area as the child, why was there a scuffle, why did this baby have to die? We don't know and will never know. I'm not taking up for the cop in any way but please pray for him/her also - as I can imagine he/she has children also - they are not robots and they hurt like the rest of us. Good Night Aiyana - take your spot on the Heavenly Playground. I didn't know you or your family but my heart is definitely saddend. I am a mother and I can not begin the pain and the anguish for this family. But, instead of blaming and assuming please yall pray for all involved.

Posted by: mrsteeblack | May 17, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

My family home was raided by the FCPD back in the 1970s due to a mistaken street address. The cops in my case heard a baby (my brother) and knew they had the wrong house. Back then, they had revolvers and shotguns, not ORDINANCE!

This is a tragedy, and the Detroit Police must shoulder the blame. Grenades have no place in the police arsenal, and they need better intelligence gathering before they no-knock raid a family home!

Where was the stakeout?

Who approved tossing grenades into a home?

How the hell can anyone justify these actions!

Posted by: hatchlaw | May 17, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh the irony that they were after someone for killing a child (a 17 year old)

Their job is to protect and serve, not terrorize. Who is to say if this family even knew the guy was a fugitive?

The point is we don't have honest, or competent police in this country. We have below average intelligence thugs who like to play with their fancy army toys and shoot their guns, and are used to lying to their communities. But now we have videos and the internet and we learn the truth.

Posted by: rachel21 | May 17, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Hats off to honest and God fearing cops, but there are too many idiots and rednecks who joined the military for some odd reasons and with killer insticts and trigger happy hands, here's what we get; CHILD KILLED BY THE MORRON WHO STILL THINKS HE IS A GOD IN A WAR ZONE.
Yes, being cop is very dangerous, but that is a risk that you are paid to take and you have to give a chance to people, not just lock them up or shoot them and that is what mostly police does; ARRESTING OR SHOOTING! God damn it!!! n let me guess; those that can be sued, held accountable will also investigate the shooting?
May this poor girl play forever in heavens.

Posted by: BOBSTERII | May 18, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

There's no excuse for the the police in this case,I mean none at all. First of all they were suppose to have that house under close observation.knowing for a fact the suspect was in their,as well as the possibility of anyone else.Once they found out the suspect was there,the tactical aproach should have been different.I was a so called fugitive last year,considerd armed and dangerous.Wanted for attempted murder,shooting from a vehicle,brandishing a fire-arm,and shooting into an occupied dwelling.Unlike this raid the US Marshals and the FDLE did there jobs in a proffesional manner.I was living with a friend girl who knew nothing about the situation I had in another county,and she was in the house at the time the confirmed I was actually in the house.they came hard automatic weapons armor the hole 9.but never threw a flash gernade.beat down the door came in screaming us marshals get down get down my friend girl did so and i did the same.There was'nt anyone killed.

Posted by: smoke1viyahoocom | May 18, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Ayana Jones may your soul live 4-ever.

Posted by: smoke1viyahoocom | May 18, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I would just like to add that the police had every right to raid the house. They stated that they observed different people going in to the house while doing servalince, so they should have know there was kids present and used different tattics. If it was a accident than why was she shot onces in the head and once in the neck that was deliberate, thats exactly the kind of shot they train for at the range so save the bs for someonelse. The sad thing is the family will accept a sum of money and we'll never hear anything else about it. Plain and simple police have or (think they have) to much authority. Last but not least my prayers go out ot the family and I hope this will bring some change.

Posted by: craigiej | May 18, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Some people are ASTOUNDINGLY IGNORANT!! The police went to the WRONG RESIDENCE in the building. One the the dirty cops indiscriminately shot into the residence without looking! What is more INCREDIBLE is that the "cop" LIED about what happened.
I hope he gets the treatment he gives to others.

Posted by: FreeToBeMe | May 18, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

First and farmost, my heart goes out to the family of Ayana Jones. I feel that in times like these some comments are better off not being said, but like my mother always told me and my siblings, if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all, or the truth comes out when you are drunk or angry. Well this family may be a mixture of both right now, so their comments should be forgiven due to the fact that they lost a loved one no matter who was at FAULT. NO MATTER WHO!!!! So for all the negative commmentors, GET A LIFE, and you may not be so judgemental with or without the facts. I don't know all the facts, but at the end of the day it all boils down to this, the LIFE OF A CHILD WAS TAKEN BEFORE IT EVEN HAD A CHANCE TO BEGIN. (A NEW ORLEANIAN)

Posted by: letstrynot2h8 | May 18, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

This makes me so sad for the life of this beautiful young girl, and angry angry angry at what was done to her.

Why is this not front page news? Why is it nowhere to be found on the New York Times website or other major newspapers? Thank you Post for posting this video at least.

Posted by: usedtobemoco | May 23, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse