The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Posted at 7:44 AM ET, 02/ 1/2011

2 Md. teens charged in cat burning

By The Baltimore Sun

Baltimore police say two 17-year-old boys have been charged with setting a cat on fire.

The youths were charged as juveniles with animal cruelty in the Jan. 8 incident.

According to a police report, the youths brought the cat, which belonged to the family of one of them, onto a rear, second-floor deck and put a milk crate on top of the animal.

According to the report, the youths poured lighter fluid on the cat through the openings in the crate, lit a book of matches and dropped it into the crate.

Officials at Baltimore's animal shelter, who are caring for the cat and her three kittens, lost her ears and received third- and fourth-degree burns. But they say the cat is healing well and eating well.

By The Baltimore Sun  | February 1, 2011; 7:44 AM ET
Categories:  Animal Stories, Baltimore, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fla. man charged with aiding girlfriend's robbery
Next: Md. man convicted of 2010 murder

Comments

I agree!

Posted by: linroy62 | February 1, 2011 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely disgusting, and a HUGE red flag for future homicidal behavior. Both of these teens need a full phychological screening and appropriate jail time of course.

Posted by: Axel2 | February 1, 2011 9:37 AM | Report abuse

What on earth is wrong with these 2? Who does that to any animal let alone a family pet?

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | February 1, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Baltimore eh? The two were probably imitating the scene from the WIRE were the little boy was doing the same thing to a cat. Funny where these KIDS get their direction from. OR Maybe it aint funny.

Posted by: dc4life | February 1, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Charged as juveniles - at 17??? 12 year olds get charged as adults for murder. These two should be put away for a long time and sentenced to hard labor! Disgusting!

Posted by: allmydkny | February 1, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Kill the little Bastards!

Posted by: dem4life1 | February 1, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

In a few years when these kids go nuts with a gun in front of a Safeway, I hope no one says, "We never saw it coming, how could we have prevented this tragedy?"

Posted by: dcn8v | February 1, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

In two years when these kids go nuts with a gun in front of a Safeway, I hope no one says, "We never saw it coming, how could we have prevented this tragedy?"

Posted by: dcn8v | February 1, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Put them in a crate, douse them with Lighter Fluid the nlight them on fire and see if they survive??? I show no compassion for anyone that wants to kill innocent things... animal or human. Eye for and eye... do to you what you did to others so you can feel what they went thru. Your 17, you knwo exactly what yo uaredoing adn I agree, it is the beginning of homicidal tendencies for these two.

Posted by: rvanags | February 1, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I hope they serve jail time and are repeatedly raped in prison.

Posted by: kenk33 | February 1, 2011 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I hope these two are charged as adults. And I hope they get serious psychiatric help in prison and afterward.

Because the fact is, they are not going to remain in prison forever for this horrible act, and when they do get out, they will represent a serious threat to *people*, let alone small animals.

Posted by: Itzajob | February 1, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Itzajob | February 1, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I meant re-charged as adults.

Posted by: Itzajob | February 1, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Victimizing and torturing innocent pets; well on their way to becoming a couple of remorseless sociopaths like Ted Bundy.
Anyone showing signs at this age of zero empathy and this much cruelty should already be locked away so they can't hurt anyone else.

Posted by: menopausequeen | February 1, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Charming, it belonged to one of the kids' family and yet the little darling decided it would be fun. And on the rear deck of the house! Hey, yeah, kill the cat in the worst possible way and if you're lucky, you can take out humans too!

I will NOT wish violence on them because it'll just bring me down to their level. But these stupid little sociopaths should have been charged MUCH more stringently than a juvenile slap on the wrist.

Posted by: JustSaying1945 | February 1, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

If this world were mine, they would be set on fire to see how it feels. They need to FEEL the impact of their actions.

Posted by: Gooddad | February 1, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Future serial killers, better nip it in the bud!

Posted by: UnknownHenson | February 1, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"I hope no one says, "We never saw it coming, how could we have prevented this tragedy?"

Hopefully that doesn't happen, but if it does we won't hear about this. We will hear how they were 2 upstanding young men who loved everyone and everyone loved them, blah, blah, blah.

Posted by: BEEPEE | February 1, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

This is why when you have a kid, you spend time with that kid. You teach your child about sympathy and empathy before it's too late for them to grasp it. These two are too old to grasp empathy. They will be blaming others for their problems and simply not caring who they hurt for a long time. I believe this behavior not only stems from parents who don't like to be around their kids, but the schools that have been sued out of effectivley disciplining kids for fear of financial retaliation. Children have NO consequences therefore no real empathy and certainly no sympathy. I have a twelve year old boy, I'm definately revisiting the discussions on animals and other humans with him. A true wake up call this horrible thing is. I hope the cat does well. Maybe time for us all to stop worrying about Egypt and China and start reflecting here on the home front.

Posted by: stopthemadness | February 1, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stopthemadness | February 1, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stopthemadness | February 1, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Before anyone asks....Why?, understand there is no Why!

Rather, ask yourself this question if you feel they deserve the benefit of the doubt because they are.....JUVENILES....

Would you be comfortable having either one date your daughter, baby-sit your toddler, or watch your home while you are away?

If you answer "yes" to any of those questions, perhaps you, too, should seek some mental intervention.

These cretins are spawn from the devil himself. You wouldn't want to know what I would like to see happen to them. It would make my user name appear hypocritical.

Posted by: FirstBeKind | February 1, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Before anyone asks....Why?, understand there is no Why!

Posted by: FirstBeKind | February 1, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Before anyone asks....Why?, understand there is no Why!

Posted by: FirstBeKind | February 1, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

As a cat fancier, I find this totally repugnant. I think the lighter fluid-match combination should be tried in such a way as to remove these 2 charmers from the gene pool!

Posted by: Nancilee | February 1, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

charged as juveniles, is ridiculous. I haven't even tried to find the information and have seen many articles about the connection between this kind of behavior as a teen, and far more violent behavior later. I think they should be tried as adults and sent to prison for at least ten straight years. Basically what would happen is that both the scumpondpunks would be turned into what they call a punk in the joint, they'd spend a couple of years on their knees and stomachs, and eventually they'd die of Aids. I can think of better ways to deal with these two absoulute cowards, but I'm fine with that plan. Instead the sickscumbuckets will get a slap on the wrist and in five or ten years (or less) we'll read about these two torturing and killing humans, and the foolishidiots who are letting them off easy now will be scratching their empty skulls wondering what happened.

Posted by: red2million | February 1, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

no hope for these two scumbags= pour lighter fluid on them while they are in a cage and light it...

Posted by: ksowa | February 1, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Several people mentioned the importance of empathy in the abuse of the cat.. My I suggest a further resources to learn more about empathy.

Teach Empathy for Animals! Help Stop Abuse, Beatings, Brutality, Cruelty, Fighting ,Suffering & Torture
We actually sent this story of the burned cat to our 8,000 members.

Also see,
The Center for Building a Culture of Empathy
The Culture of Empathy website is the largest internet portal for resources and information about the values of empathy and compassion. It contains articles, conferences, definitions, experts, history, interviews,  videos, science and much more about empathy and compassion.

Posted by: EdwinRutsch | February 1, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse