Baltimore 14-year-old charged in man's murder

Baltimore police say a 14-year-old has been charged with first-degree murder, the youngest person so charged in the city this year.

Kwauntre Javar Crudup of Baltimore is also charged with armed robbery and using a handgun in a violent crime. He was arrested Thursday and is being held without bail.

Crudup is charged in the death March 3 of 29-year-old Kenly Oscar Wheeler of Baltimore. Wheeler's body was found near an elementary school basketball court. He was shot in the chest.

Court documents say police learned that Wheeler's cell phone had been taken during the crime and officers put a trace on calls made to and from the phone.

Crudup was arrested after he used the victim's phone to call his girlfriend.

-- The Baltimore Sun

By Washington Post Editors  |  March 19, 2010; 3:33 PM ET
Categories:  Baltimore , Homicide
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Former Baltimore mayor Sheila Dixon's fur coat set for use in ethics training
Next: Silver Spring man charged in fatal shooting

Comments

Kwauntre Javar offed him because he was making fun of his name.

I used to do stupid stuff at 14(actually still do after all these years), but I didn't kill anybody. I despair at the inner-city culture that thinks life is so cheap. AA leadership needs to take this on. This is something that white people cannot fix.

I know this is racist, but, what can I say?

Posted by: wobbleman47 | March 19, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

The thugs start young in Bal'mer. But then with a name like Kwauntre, his fate was probably predetermined. Bwaaaahaaaaaaa

Posted by: checkered1 | March 19, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Blacks need thier side of town
Whites need thier side ot town
Orietals " their side of town
Latinos " their side of town
Gays need their side of town
Drugs users their side of town

All law-abiders of GOD. LAW and Government
can live together no matter the color.

Posted by: foxxmacpryor | March 19, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

@wobbleman47: Yes, what can you say because white's have done enough, to the black race, and the human race! Plz don't be soooo proud!

I am totally saddened by the lives affected here. Where's the parents? Where's the church? Where's the community? It is so evident that the black race has serious "internal" issues. I think that most of us (blacks) know the problem, and may be even how to solve, but.......We have truly FAILED our youths...so sad. :(

Posted by: NursRob | March 19, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

@NursRob: sorry, I guess the comment about the name was flip.

However, I am not proud. As a white person, I see the residual effect of the slavery experience on the black community. It is a problem for everybody in this country, regardless of race. I am totally saddened by the waste of the life of both the victim and the murderer.

However, I think that the black community needs to take major responsibility for solving the problem, because the whites just don't have the leverage inside the black community to do much (I think you agree).

I think we need to talk more about race in this country, rather than less. America has not been as successful as a "melting pot" between races as it has been between various ethnicities of Europeans. It is one of the biggest problems, if not THE biggest problem, facing this country.

Posted by: wobbleman47 | March 20, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Quantre Javar Crudup was his name , and murder was his game. Did he study and take a crash course from the Rev. Wright so he could call himself a Christian ? Or is he at least honest and still not denying his Muslim Faith ? All those who cry Racism would be better served if they looked to what is happening in England. See what is happening in Muslim run neighborhoods . How they take over from within and run their own little nation . They even set up stores like the old company stores of Appalachian coal mines in the 20s and thirties. You buy from them, or else. And see who is taken first for jobs offered by the government. Sound familiar ?

Posted by: puck-101 | March 21, 2010 3:38 AM | Report abuse