Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Jail for Md. man whose shot hit girl, 5

A man who shot a 5-year-old girl in the head while firing a handgun wildly on a crowded Baltimore street was sentenced Tuesday to life plus 30 years in prison.

Lamont Davis, 18, was convicted of second-degree attempted murder in the shooting of Raven Wyatt, now 6, who suffered brain damage and is still unable to walk independently.

He was convicted of first-degree attempted murder for shooting his intended target, Tradon Hicks, in the arm.

Davis was being supervised by the Department of Juvenile Services at the time of the shootings and was participating in a GPS monitoring program that was supposed to track his whereabouts. His attorneys argued he was at home when the victims were shot.

The shooting occurred last July 2, a Thursday afternoon. Images captured by a city surveillance camera show a gunman running and firing several shots on a residential street corner as a crowd of people runs for cover. Crowds can later be seen forming around the wounded girl.

The shooting stemmed from a claim by Davis' girlfriend that Hicks had spat at her. Davis opened fire with the intent to “uphold whatever perverse code of chivalry was in effect,” Baltimore Circuit Judge Gale E. Rasin said.

Despite his youth, Davis deserves a harsh sentence because of the danger he poses to the community, Rasin said. The judge recommended that he serve his sentence at the Patuxent Institute, a maximum-security psychiatric facility with a program for young offenders, although she conceded she did not know if he would be eligible for the program.

Despite receiving a life sentence with 30 years tacked on, Davis could be eligible for parole one day.

Davis declined to address the court. His public defender, Linwood Hedgepeth, maintains that his client is innocent and said he would appeal the sentence.

“A sentence of one day would have been wrong because he didn't do anything,” Hedgepeth said.

Before sentencing Davis, Rasin denied a defense motion for a new trial based largely on questions about evidence presented at trial. Both prosecutors and defense attorneys mistakenly told the jury that Davis had violated the provisions of his house arrest 100 times, which, if true, could have damaged Davis' alibi.

Rasin characterized the statements about 100 violations as “hyperbole” that both sides thought at the time would help their cases.

-- Associated Press

By Washington Post Editors  |  June 15, 2010; 4:07 PM ET
Categories:  Baltimore , From the Courthouse  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fort Dupont Park murder victim ID'd
Next: Video: Officer punches woman


What a loser. Standing around streets at night with guns. He was going places..... now he can go to the big house.

Posted by: FiatBooks | June 15, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I feel so bad for Raven. She was a victim of the lack of discipline these young men grow up with. Police, along with the parents, have to crack down on these people. This behavior is not acceptable and will not be permitted.

Posted by: skinfreak | June 15, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company