Murder attempt charge for Md. woman

State prosecutors have charged a woman with attempted first-degree murder after Baltimore County police said she threw her newborn out of a second-story window.

Baltimore County State's Attorney Scott Shellenberger tells The Baltimore Sun that he has told police to charge 21-year-old Rebecca Himes.

Shellenberger says police know where Himes is and were on the way to take her into custody Monday night.

Police said on July 22 that Himes had given birth in the bathroom of her home and thrown the infant out of the window. Police said the baby apparently landed in the bushes and was found by Himes' younger sister.

The baby girl was unharmed and is in the care of the Department of Social Services.

-- The Baltimore Sun

By Washington Post Editors  |  August 3, 2010; 8:19 AM ET
Categories:  Baltimore , Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jail time for Md. horse neglect
Next: Battle over freeing 1970s rapist in Md.

Comments

There are options other than throwing a baby out the window (and a few options the sperm donor should consider). Too bad sterilization is not a legal consequence for someone like this.

Posted by: DecafDrinker | August 3, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I think someone should throw the mother out of a second story window and see how she likes that...just make sure there are no bushes below to catch her! It's really sad that people have no regard for human life anymore. If she didn't want the baby, she should've considered all of the options available to her earlier on.

Posted by: ms_mbacpa | August 3, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

The charge is laughable. She'll plead out and get probation and mandatory counseling. Big deal. Ms. Himes will be enceinte again before her first session.

Posted by: Nghbrhdwatch | August 3, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I bet you that she is knocked up again within a year! I shake my head at the stories I read or told by people of the kids today. Now I know not every kid is like this but it just seems more and more that kids today are just not held accountable and think that if they fail or do things that there are no consequences of their actions. Kids.. and some adults live in a perception of reality now a days and it is honestly sad. This is definitely looking like the "me" generation. I ever found out my kid did this or something like... I would "G..D...." make sure that his rear would be thrown out a window, regardless of his age! No Excuse for that!

Posted by: rvanags | August 3, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

It's about time she was charged. What could they have been waiting for? Seriously, this is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned. She should not ever be allowed to have children again...either prison or voluntary sterilization. Maybe both...

Posted by: pennv | August 3, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

This crime is almost as bad as George W. Bush's criminal invasion of Iraq ... remember?

Posted by: perryneheum | August 3, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse