Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Tiki bar fire spreads to house after Mother's Day party

A Mother's Day gathering; a few drinks; a tiki bar in full effect. What could be better?

As of today, lots of things.

A Charles County family now finds itself displaced and being assisted by the Red Cross Monday after a fire that started in an outdoor tIki bar caused an estimated $250,000 of damage to their house in Waldorf.

Investigators suspect that faulty wiring or a discarded cigarette caused the fire that started late Sunday night after a Mother's Day party had ended. "All the burn patterns are underneath their little tiki bar where they were serving drinks," said Detective Don Brenneman of the Maryland State Fire Marshal's office.

No one was hurt. The fire spread from the bar up the side of their house, causing significant damage to the second floor, according to the Fire Marshal's report.

-- Dan Morse

By Dan Morse  |  May 10, 2010; 11:50 AM ET
Categories:  Charles , Dan Morse , Fires & Fire Safety  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Montgomery to honor all 16 officers killed during department's history
Next: Marine killed in accidental shooting at Quantico base, officials said

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company