Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Lanier lauds dispatcher, officers in aftermath of D.C. shooting, chase

As D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier's car sped toward the Southeast scene of Tuesday's mass shooting on South Capitol Street, she was listening closely to radio traffic describing the chase of a vehicle that sped from the scene.

Lanier listened to responding officers get behind a van spotted leaving the area of the 4000 block of South Capitol Street SE, where four people had been fatally shot and five others lay wounded. The ensuing hours produced a chaotic scene of carnage, but Lanier said a coordinated net was being closed around the suspects.

In an interview Wednesday night, Lanier said police were still trying to detail the exact route of the chase that wound from D.C. streets to Prince George's County roadways and back into the city. The van finally crashed in the Condon Terrace complex in Southeast, less than a mile from the shootings.

Still, she praised the skill of the officers pursuing the van, the helicopter unit that quickly helped track the vehicle from the air and the calm of the dispatcher who connected all units. The chief has amassed a list of about 20 officers who she said will receive commendations from the department.

In particular, she was pleased with how will police were able to coordinate with county officers in a short span of time.

"When we hit the county we had county cruisers with us in about 45 seconds," Lanier recalled.

But the chase was not without risk, as two D.C. patrol cars crashed in the 5600 block of St. Barnabas Road in Prince George's County and four officers suffered minor injuries. And as the chase continued, apparently with a 14-year-old behind the wheel of the van, police still were unable to make the speeding vehicle stop.

Lanier surmised that suspects inside the van had a plan of their own as they drove back toward the Condon Terrace area, a complex maze of two-story apartments, where police think they attempted to escape and hide. Fortunately for police, the van had a "fender bender" near the area, and the occupants bolted out the doors on foot and D.C. police were able to scoop up three of them. A fourth person is believed to have escaped.

In the aftermath of a wild chase, Lanier said several 7th District officers sent flowers to the dispatcher who coordinated their pursuit via radio and kept her cool. For Lanier, the radio traffic she listened to was a textbook example of how she hopes other officers might respond to similar circumstances.

"I got a copy of that [radio transmissions] and I plan on using it for training," Lanier said. "It was incredible."

-- Clarence Williams

By Clarence Williams  |  April 1, 2010; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  Cathy L. Lanier , Clarence Williams , Heroes , The District  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gun that killed Fairfax 'Goth' Dirk Smiler may have fired accidentally, attorney says
Next: Car break-in as children watch


For some reason I don't believe their was a fourth suspect, because with that many police I can't see how he would've gotten away. Glad to know that these chumps didn't away with murder. A USP is already making bed space for them.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | April 1, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company