Va. violent crime down in 2009, report says

State police say Virginia saw declines in violent crimes and other offenses in 2009.

The Virginia State Police's 2009 Crime in Virginia report says violent crimes fell by 9.7 percent compared to 2008. Motor vehicle and other property thefts and drug offenses also decreased, the report said.

Juvenile arrests also declined but adult arrests increased, according to the report.

Juvenile arrests for violent crimes and other serious offenses fell by 4.1 percent, according to the report, while arrests for trespassing, bad checks and other lesser offenses dropped by 13.9 percent.

Adult arrests for serious offenses increased by 3.9 percent, the report said.

Arrests for less serious offenses rose by 5 percent, according to the report, while total arrests increased by 2.9 percent, from 339,189 in 2008 to 345,884 in 2009.

-- Associated Press

By Washington Post Editors  |  May 7, 2010; 8:05 AM ET
Categories:  Crime Statistics , Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Woman attempts bank robbery feet from police officer
Next: Guilty plea for woman's attacker caught by 'heroic' D.C. neighbors

Comments

I guess the gun laws in VA are working well. Guess it is ok to allow citizens to carry and conceal and still have low crime. BTW->Aren't gun laws in MD and DC more strict than gun toting VA? Where are the lefties todays?

Posted by: tmi1 | May 7, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

what does that have to do with anything tmi1. Your state has a high count in hunting. Say it how you want, but murder is muder.

Posted by: rlee4033 | May 7, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

If hunting is murder, so is wearing leather or buying a hamburger!
The fact is criminals prefer defenseless victims.

Posted by: GunCollector | May 7, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I don't want people in Northern Virginia walking around with guns, concealed or not, who aren't in law enforcement or in the military.

Saw a photo of a guy with an assault rifle on his back. And that's for shooting mugger who are 150 yards away? What is the purpose of that?

You wanna keep guns in your bedroom then that's fine so long as it's registered & licensed & you know how to use it. Got no problem with that. I can see the sense in that. But sitting in Starbucks with your gun in a holster makes me nervous. I feel like I'm in a John Wayne Western or something. What if you get drunk, Tex
or get in fight/argument with someone?

You just have a better quality of people in Virginia. Plus no big cities like Baltimore & DC. American cities = homicide. Gangs & the drug trade. Turf wars.

Posted by: uncivil | May 7, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I feel much safer having the right to protect myself and my family in Virginia than I do in Maryland. By legally carrying concealed in VA, I can respond to a threat attempting to kill me or my family and criminals know this. In Maryland, I only have one choice and that is to die. VA granted me the right to carry for protection because I provided proof of training, and passed a background check. MD would only grant me the right to carry to protect cash money if I was depositing large sums into the bank, requiring me to disarm immediately after. They're more concerned about getting their tax cut than they are interested in allowing me to prevent the loss of my own life.

During the crimes I witnessed in Maryland over the years, the police were no where to be found. They usually arrive 5 to 10 minutes after the crime, and the 911 operator argues with you in an attempt to determine if it's really serious enough to dispatch an officer. This is a problem even if the criminal doesn't have a gun. This is what needs to be corrected.

The person responsible for self-defense is "self." If those on the anti-gun side of the fence choose not to defend themselves, they shouldn't try to force the rest of us to be victims, too. If the sight of a legally armed citizen scares you, just think about a gun-toting criminal coming into the establishment right after you get there. Your attitude will change about that armed citizen, who actually has the chance to stop your family from being harmed. We all know that the police are few and far between. That's why he carries.

Posted by: USArmy9296 | May 7, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

The silver lining of teh recession is that alot of mexican and el salvadorian ILLEGAL ALIENS went home.

Posted by: knight1977 | May 7, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Only way to stop illegal immigrants is to make it a felony for a business to hire one. Plus hit them with a huge fine.

I don't see any other way to solve that problem.

Posted by: uncivil | May 7, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse