Police seek charming car thief who got three in one day

Washington Post Editors

Montgomery County detectives are searching for a woman who they say used a stolen identity and flirtatious approach to steal three high-priced vehicles from dealerships on the same day.

The suspect, identified as Somsook Jasmin McCollum, 37, of the 18500 block of Cabin Road in Triangle, struck Dec. 30, police said.

McCollum. (Montgomery Police)

Posing as a woman with good credit who previously had lived in Oklahoma, McCollum was able to purchase a Range Rover, Mercedes-Benz and Audi -- altogether valued at almost $200,000, police said.

She put $5,500 down for the Range Rover but got the two others with no money down, police said.

She was flirtatious and well-spoken, police said. Detectives believe that she had gotten the personal information of a 36-year-old woman from Oklahoma and obtained a fake D.C. license using that information.

Police described McCollum as "a light-skinned black female with slightly Asian features," 5-foot-3, 150 pounds and with brown eyes and long black hair. Police said she has a large surgical scar near one leg's knee. To disguise herself, she has cut her hair, put on a wig, or worn her hair in a wrap or a hat.

-- Dan Morse

By Washington Post Editors  |  April 16, 2010; 8:29 AM ET
Categories:  Dan Morse , Montgomery , Offbeat , Pr. William
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boy had teacher's computer password
Next: Frederick Co. man gets 17 1/2 years for drug trafficking

Comments

Now the 1st and 2nd pics i can see her getting some dealer with her looks, but I hope she didn't go into a dealership with that 3rd pic, because I would've called the police.

Posted by: ENJOYA | April 16, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Now the 1st and 2nd pics I can see her getting some dealer with her looks, but I hope she didn't go into a dealership with that 3rd pic, because I would've called the police.

Posted by: ENJOYA | April 16, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Don't all three of these vehicles have some sort of On-Star or theft tracking?

Posted by: Wallenstein | April 16, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"Now the 1st and 2nd pics I can see her getting some dealer with her looks...."

It looks like she used false eyelashes for those two.

"A light-skinned black female with slightly Asian features"...

Somsook appears to be a Thai name.

I feel bad for the woman from Oklahoma whose identity she stole.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | April 16, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Don't all three of these vehicles have some sort of On-Star or theft tracking?

Posted by: Wallenstein | April 16, 2010 10:33 AM
------------------------
I thought the samething, but On-Star comes mostly in GM cars.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | April 16, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Nice clear photos. Has the dealership put up some reward money? Maybe they should wait til the check/s clear & then call customers to come down & get their luxury wheels. Ain't like you're buying a junker for $1000.

Women are good at using what they got. Shaking & baking. Strutting around with everything on display. Wriggling & tee heeing. Might as well I guess. What else do they have that's valuable?

WORD.

Bet you they catch her in no time. Having your photos all over the Internet.

Posted by: uncivil | April 16, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Use the Rover to test the traction and run her thieving *&@ over...

Posted by: kahlua87 | April 16, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

This article includes some non-PC language.

She is a black woman and has "Asian-like features". Exactly what does that mean? Like if pressed to describe "Asian-like" features, could one do it without being offensive? And if so, can the features described be applied to everyone from the continent?

She is described as "well-spoken". I've only ever heard this term to describe black people who speak "correctly".

I realize the author is quoting someone and these don't necessarily reflect his own words.

Just thought I'd point out what may not be so obvious to some.

Posted by: enicole | April 16, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

WHOEVER FALLS FOR THOSE LOOKS MUST BE BLIND, I CAN TELL SHE IS A RIP OFF. I HOPE THEY FIND HER QUICKLY. SHE DESERVES WHAT SHE GETS.

Posted by: Cherokee316 | April 17, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

WHOEVER FALLS FOR THOSE LOOKS MUST BE BLIND, AND DESPERATE. SHE HAS A FAKE SMILE AND SHE IS ACTUALLY SUCKING IN HER CHEEKS. EVEN I COULD DO THAT, LOL. I CAN TELL SHE IS A RIP OFF. I HOPE THEY FIND HER QUICKLY. SHE DESERVES WHAT SHE GETS. I HOPE THEY THROUGH THE BOOK AT HER.

Posted by: Cherokee316 | April 17, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse