The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Posted at 7:25 AM ET, 12/10/2010

Radio Shack robber punches employee

By Dan Morse
Dan Morse

Montgomery County detectives are looking for a man who punched a Radio Shack employee in the face and fled with a Sony PlayStation, authorities said Thursday.

Just before 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, police were called to the store at 8213 Georgia Ave. for a reported robbery. They learned a man entered the store, posed as a customer, and said he wanted to buy a PlayStation 3.

Surveillance images. (Montgomery Police)

The employee placed a PlayStation box on the counter, prompting the suspect to grab it and dash for the exit. The employee tried to retrieve the PlayStation. The suspect punched her in the face and chest area, said Cpl. Dan Friz, a police spokesman.

Police described the suspect as a black man in his early to mid-20s, 5'9" tall, and with a muscular build, short black hair, and braces on his lower teeth. He was wearing a black puffy North Face brand jacket, blue jeans and insulated winter gloves, police said.

Police ask anyone with information to call 240-773-5100. Those who want to remain anonymous or be eligible for a possible reward of up to $1,000 can call 1-866-411-TIPS (8477).

By Dan Morse  | December 10, 2010; 7:25 AM ET
Categories:  Dan Morse, Montgomery
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Toys for Tots trove recovered in Maine
Next: Report on Md. juvenile center escape

Comments

In a country where 2-percent of the population controls 90-percent of the wealth, there is a large gap between those who desire PlayStations and those who can afford to BUY them.

Posted by: lilhornie | December 10, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

the playstation 3 only costs $300. you can make that amount of money by working at mcdonalds for two weeks, maybe less. also it's practically useless without an HDTV. did he steal that too I wonder?

Posted by: ninja_gaydad | December 10, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

How dumb can he be?
Steal right in front of a store surveillance camera, and then assault the store worker for a $300 gadget? Just the assault should add another year or two to his sentence.
Please don't drop the soap when you're in prison, dumb guy.

Posted by: bluebellknoll | December 10, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Hope they catch this scumbag and send him way for a long time! If the trolls want stores in their neighborhoods they will have to behave like civilized people!

Posted by: 10bestfan | December 10, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhornie | December 10, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I hope that you are not trying to justify a violent, predatory, criminal act.

Posted by: jnrentz@aol.com | December 10, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Yet another example of the brilliance of the criminal element.
Rather than buy a PS3, steal one. Get caught and charged with theft and assault. Possible jail time, restitution and fines.
What kind of loser punches a woman over a video game system?
That gaming system is going to cost A LOT more than $300 in the end.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 10, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

From the video, you can tell that he may have dropped his glove.
If he can prove the glove don't fit, well.........too bad Johnnie Cochran is not alive anymore.

Posted by: bluebellknoll | December 10, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure he "paid" for that $200 North Face jacket too.

Posted by: Hk45 | December 10, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

'Tis the season to commit a felony I see. He'll be caught by the weekend if he hasn't turned his self in yet. I bet he told his friends how he punched out this 6'6 250 white man for the Playstation too.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | December 10, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

What, didn't the Shack person get all sorts of personal information from the guy? Everyone knows you can't get in or out of one of their stores without being accosted by the employees.

Posted by: blankspace | December 10, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, they catch him and put his sorry butt in jail soon. You want a $300.00 PlayStation 3, get a J-O-B!!!

Posted by: TheChampishere | December 10, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

PublicEnemy1,
"I bet he told his friends how he punched out this 6'6 250 white man for the Playstation too."
I almost spit Coke all over my computer reading that...too funny!

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 10, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

LOL! at Public enemy1. I hope this guy gets beat up in jail for hitting a woman.

Posted by: PepperDr | December 10, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Just a general question here...I have no idea what a North Face jacket is or why it would cost $200?
Seriously, who pays $200 for winter coat then steals a PS3?
I've had the same LL Bean coat for like 10 years and it cost something like $65(which I thought was too expensive anyway).

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 10, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"Gots to have me a Playstation, y'all! I don't mind doing time in jail. It be worth it. I have spent half my life in police stations - ain't no thang. I could get a job & pay for it that way but I don't wanna. Folks in my hood steal stuff. We don't believe in working like you suckers."

Problem is he looks like so many other worthless punks/thugs around here. Maybe he'll try to rob some other place & get his stupid head blown clean off.

Who would care? Who would miss him?

Posted by: TaxiDriver | December 10, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

When I read the headline I thought "he must have been mad at the lack of selection and high prices"

But either way....duh-may is gonna get caught.

Posted by: eldude1277 | December 10, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

But either way....duh-may is gonna get caught.

Posted by: eldude1277 | December 10, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Putting these creeps in prison & making them WORK 6 days a week is the WORST punishment you can do to them.

They would rather hang out at the local KKK meeting place than do any, ahem, cough, WORK.

Don't mention the word!

Posted by: TaxiDriver | December 10, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Looks like he's throwing a left hook. Is he left-handed or was he carry the loot in his right?

Posted by: wjc1va | December 10, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

PublicEnemy1,
I almost spit Coke all over my computer reading that...too funny!
----------------------------
BigDaddy651,
Sorry, dude didn't mean to make you laugh that hard, but you know how these guys are out here. They will go back and tell the homies some crazy story on how they beat someone up and then you see the picture thathe hit a girl, for a Playstation game at that. If I was his friend and was doing dirt I wouldn't want him around me now, because he's hot and all of the paper and he hit a woman for a game system. NOT COOL AT ALL! I can see him now carrying someone lunch tray once he gets locked up.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | December 10, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

wjc1va & Public Enemy1- too funny! I tell you - you have missed your calling - comedians all the way... and it takes a lot to make me laugh!! Seriously, dude was on some type of meth-crack-shootingup-weed-alcohol type of shi-... to say the least. He was not discreet, cognizance of any surroundings, but he was FAST!!!

Posted by: 0126 | December 10, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Merry Christmas one and all!

Posted by: MarilynManson | December 10, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Ole Lefty is probably at home with stolen Playstation hooked up to 13' black and white TV, feet up and nice tall glass of Cherry Kool-Aid. And the police are about to kick his door in and hit him like he did that young lady who was only working at Radio Shack for the holiday season. I hope the 6'6 250lb police officer hits him one good time for the lady that he hit.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | December 10, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

A real tough guy. Store clerks: don't pursue, it's not worth the risk to you. Also, your employer is insured. You come first, not the stock.

Posted by: jckdoors | December 10, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, really. I ain't getting killed by some fool for a stinkin' Playstation. Help yourself, Buckethaid. Banks tell their employees not to try to be the hero.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | December 10, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Where was her gun? Oh right, it's Maryland. No mention that the suspect is BLACK; is that against the rules Mr. Morse? Are you afraid that identifying the suspect as black would make you a racist? Is that what the pictures are for? Can we say that a black man punched a white woman in the face without offending anyone; except for the white woman?

Posted by: civilrightist | December 10, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Many stores don't have cameras still in this day and age-too expensive-but they'll hide behind the "We don't like to make our customers feel like they are being watched for theft because that may offend our Guests." Seriously, these are the same stores who have the employees take classes and watch videos on shoplifters and how to "detect" them. For a whole nine bucks an hour BEFORE taxes. We at Montgomery used to just wait for the Macy's guys to bring back the shopping bags full of loot toour section of the mall. Go after them? LMAO-so I could get punched, bitten, scratched, stabbed and still my full time $523 every two weeks? Puh-leez. Your right he didn't give her his zip code-corporate says you have to get that! Next time that poor chick will lock that door and close for the night when some idiot bolts-I would-sign from God.

Posted by: stopthemadness | December 10, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

black crime being committed by black people. enough said.

Posted by: farmanimal911 | December 10, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ blankspace

Posted by: Marlo2 | December 10, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

While shopping at an athletic shoe store a few counties away from our Maryland home, my son was amazed when the sales associate left 2 pair of shoes I had tried on with me and went to find 2 more styles to show me in my size. He said they would never do this in our county. Most small stores keep expensive merchandise like PS3 behind the counter until it is paid for and show you a sample box if you want to see the specs and contents. Thefts makes vendors raise their prices due to increases in insurance and costs of enhanced security precautions.

I hope they catch this criminal quickly and I hope the lady was not seriously hurt. Don't chase criminals, leave it up to the police. Remember the Home Depot employee who was fired for chasing after a robber? Most stores do not want the liability if the robber decides to kidnap and/or kill you.

Posted by: Ross65 | December 10, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

farmanimal911 said:

black crime being committed by black people. enough said.

Yes, I am sure all the other racist people understand you.

I hope the guy is caught and gets punched in the face a few times while spending quite a bit of time in prison.

Posted by: ctree | December 10, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse