Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Rockville man who had plans to kill Obama gets 5 years

Washington Post Editors

Collin McKenzie-Gude, 20, who pleaded guilty last year to possessing bombmaking chemicals kept in his bedroom closet, was sentenced to 61 months in prison Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Greebelt.

That sentence does not include an additional 17 months already served in Montgomery County prison, for which Judge Peter J. Messitte credited McKenzie-Gude.

In sentencing McKenzie-Gude, who lives in Rockville, Messitte said he took seriously the prosecution's assertion that McKenzie-Gude had and taken steps to try to assassinate then-presidential candidate Barack Obama in 2008. The defense had attempted to characterize his plans as role-playing.

McKenzie-Gude spoke for about two minutes on Tuesday, crying during much of that time. "I cannot tell you how sorry i am," he said. "I wish only the chance to rebuid my life in a positive manner."

McKenzie-Gude still faces sentencing in state Circuit Court for a 2008 attempted carjacking, to which he has also pleaded guilty.

-- Dan Morse

By Washington Post Editors  |  January 19, 2010; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  Dan Morse , From the Courthouse , Montgomery , Updates  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man claims snake in car; Calvert deputies find only cocaine
Next: D.C man who robbed Alexandria bank killed in La. prison

Comments

Only 61 months? That's a little surprising considering the intent

Posted by: smckaho420 | January 19, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Five years in prison?? That is too short, considering the seriousness of that crime.

Posted by: georgeschroeder7716 | January 19, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

The 61 months is in addition to the 17 months already served. The fact that McKenzie-Gude showed remorse and a desire to rebuild his life is probably the reason that he was given as light a sentence as he was.

Posted by: Kings_Rook | January 19, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

5 years....That has to be a JOKE. And we say that our country has moved pass the issues of RACE. We all know that if that was a 20 year old Black male and the candiate were white, he would be serving a life sentence. No matter how much he cried and said I'm sorry. Just being real....

Posted by: amazing2read | January 19, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

To "amazing2read": Do you think G. Arenas should get 5 years? They both pleaded guilty and nobody got hurt in either case. Oh, you don't? Could it be that YOU haven't exactly moved past race in YOUR thinking?

Posted by: Dan4 | January 19, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

5 years....That has to be a JOKE. And we say that our country has moved pass the issues of RACE. We all know that if that was a 20 year old Black male and the candiate were white, he would be serving a life sentence. No matter how much he cried and said I'm sorry. Just being real....

Posted by: amazing2read
__________________________________________
You need to pay attention. He was not convicted of trying to kill Obama. He was convicted of possession of bomb making materials.

Posted by: MKadyman | January 19, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

How many of you know the kid or the family? I do and I know this is a huge mistake...he was just a dumb kid, a pretender and now in our hyper paranoid society where our leaders are condemned for not using the word "terrorist" this kid is going away for 5 years...amazing. 1984 has arrived where we are now convicted on "thought crimes"

Posted by: Jim31 | January 20, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company