Va. teen dead in Reston crash

A 17-year-old from Herndon died Saturday after he was hit by a car Thursday, Fairfax County Police said.

Jose Antonio Villatoro attempted to cross Reston Parkway around 9 p.m. while not in a crosswalk, police said in a Tuesday press release.

He was hit by a Toyota pickup truck driven by a Reston man.

Villatoro was taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital, according to police.

He died Saturday at 11 a.m., police said.

-- David P. Marino-Nachison

By Washington Post Editors  |  July 6, 2010; 8:18 AM ET
Categories:  David P. Marino-Nachison , Fairfax , Traffic Accidents
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: 5 dead in air ambulance crash
Next: Elvis statue missing from Md. diner

Comments

So, if he had been in a crosswalk he would have lived?

Posted by: jckdoors | July 6, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

jckdoors - No, but had the pedestrian been in the crosswalk, the driver would have been at fault. In this case, the pedestrian is at fault.

Posted by: aktotlykrzy | July 6, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Why do they take these folks to Fairfax when Reston hospital is less than a quater of a mile away?

Posted by: blasmaic | July 6, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Reston Hospital is ghetto.

Posted by: FiatBooks | July 6, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

This is a real shame, for both the victim and his family, as well as the poor guy who hit him.

Not to blame the victim or incite a race war here, but why is it that Hispanics insist on crossing major thoroughfares outside of crosswalks? Is this a cultural thing? Perhaps an educational campaign is in order for this immigrant group. I've lived in Reston for over 30 years now and have seen very little jaywalking among other ethnic groups, but it's commonplace among Hispanics. I know this victim was Hispanic before I read the name, simply because they're the ones doing the jaywalking.

Second, there's a few reasons to go to Fairfax Hospital. They're much better equipped for major emergencies and a quick ride by helicopter - which may have been the case here. Also, Reston Hospital is awful. I told my wife if I'm incapacitated, never to send me there if at all possible!

Posted by: Menidia | July 6, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Not only cause he is hispanic means that he is like everyother hispanic person this kid was on the crosswalk for one its sad how the police is saying that he was not on the crosswalk they haven't even finish with the investigation for them to sit up here an say something like this all i know is that he was a good kid he was a hard worker n love taking care of his family and his birds he was always cautious its soo hard to read what people write if you only knew him then you would understand i'm just sick of people always saying racial remarks not only cause he was hispanic means he is like everyother hispanic person out here! R.I.P J.A.V.

Posted by: johanavn | July 7, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

THERE WAS NO HELICOPTER HE WAS TAKEN BY AMBULANCE!

Posted by: johanavn | July 7, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Score is Toyota 1, jaywalker 0.

Posted by: nuke41 | July 7, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

THIS ISNT A GAME!!! if you want to keep scores youre commenting in the wrong place!!! people say things without thinking of the pain that family members and friends are going through, due to the loose of a loved one! both the driver and victim's family are going through a tough time! The investigation in this fatal accident isn't completed yet, so i dont understand why the FCP are pointing fingers!!!!! its just not right to give the wrong information to the public!
As for not wanting to incite a race war or blame the victim, than you shouldn't say NOTHING!!! you don't know the details of this fatal accident that has deprived many people of the smile of this hard working young man!!! to ask if to cross thoroughfares is a Hispanic cultural thing is IGNORANT!!!! if you dont have something positive to say than keep your mouth closed!!!

Posted by: yorsshire | July 7, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Okay so first of all, not only hispanic people do that....and second of all, it wasn't his fault he got hit. He was using the crosswalk, but how was he suppose to stop the car from hitting him!? There are a lot of ignorant people here!! And he wasn't taken by helicopter and he wasn't taken to reston because fairfax hospital is better!!!!

Posted by: jessperez91 | July 7, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I think this is so disrespectful to point fingers day saying this kid is at fault Jose was a great kid hard working and a great kid his life was cut short nd for ppl to bring race in to this is jst messed up cuz ur ignorant person to say that!!!!! I think yu should get some damn better education....Jose we miss yu :(

Posted by: Marine2010 | July 7, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

nuke41, that was a really messed up thing to say. this kids death was a tragedy,and even though it may be his fault.
he was a hard working kid, he was walking back from his job at safeway and he was just one year away from graduating high school. he was also a really nice kid and its a shame that he was taken from us.
and whoever brought race into this is obviously very ignorant. jaywalking is not just a thing hispanic people do, a lot of other people do it.
you people should really get your facts straight before you start posting stuff and offending other people.

Posted by: jasonisbeast | July 7, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Just a couple of things that I need to touch on. First of all, I know this kid and his family personally and this is not about race...It's about being fair to his family. Every day I pass by Reston parkway in the same spot Jose was killed and it is a very dangerous area. The crosswalk with no reflective tape, the crossing signal not in sync with the stoplight, no street lights in the crosswalk area on both sides, and the list goes on. The FCP is covering up this accident because fairfax county does not have money to make sure that the family is taken care of. My family and I will be the voice for Jose to make sure that this will never happen to someone else's child. FC you're in for a fight!!!!!

Posted by: kwa02 | July 7, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kwa02 | July 7, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kwa02 | July 7, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

My comment wasn't meant as a racial thing - more a cultural one. My apologies to the grieving family. What I'm trying to do is genarate a little bit of attention to a serious safety problem that I've observed over the past several years, predominantly among the local Hispanic community. I have nothing against the community and I welcome them to Reston and elsewhere in Fairfax County, but I think the Post should maybe have a reporter take a look at the ethnic make-up of pedestrian deaths/injuries in the area over the past two or three years. I'm confident that they would turn up a trend - and I suspect it's a cultural thing, brought from Latin America where maybe the dynamic between pedestrians and automobiles is different.

Perhaps the FCP has mischaracterized this accident. If not, then it could be a good lesson for other Hispanic youth (and others) against the dangers of jaywalking. An educational campaign might prevent similar deaths within and without the Hispanic community in the future. Jose's death could have some meaning in the prevention of future tragedy.

Posted by: Menidia | July 8, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cherokee316 | July 10, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Its not the jaywalkers that kill, its the cars that don't pay attention to people that cross the street, that kill people that are walking across the street. No-one ever said that cross walks save people's lives. Stupidity kills people. And its not just the hispanic that walk out of cross walks, everyone does it. Cross walks are just a decoration to show other people where to walk. There isn't crosswalks in Mexico, or anyother out of country places. Especially if its not affordable. But they do have crosswalks in Europe too.

Posted by: Cherokee316 | July 10, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse