Drug charges on I-95 for area men

Delaware State Police say they seized about two pounds of marijuana from two Virginia men during a traffic stop on Interstate 95.

Police say 18-year-old Christopher Harley of Centreville and 23-year-old Christopher Lancaster of Manassas were each charged with possession with intent to deliver marijuana and other offenses.

Police Cpl. Jeffrey Hale says Harley was the driver of a car that was stopped for speeding. He says Harley told the trooper that the car had been rented by his girlfriend.

While searching for the rental agreement, Hale says the trooper found bags of marijuana in the glove box, rear floorboard and trunk of the car.

-- Associated Press

By Washington Post Editors  |  August 5, 2010; 7:45 AM ET
Categories:  Delaware , Fairfax , Manassas , Narcotics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Charges in Wisc. taco shop stickup
Next: 50 years for Anne Arundel murder

Comments

A few pounds of pot are off the streets... are they any safer now? What a waste of police resources!

Posted by: dajew405 | August 5, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Oh boy, a pot bust. These police have become the enemy of civilization, along with the politicians perpetrating these RIDICULOUS laws. What a fascist country this is. Small minded, vindictive little people. Can't wait to get out!

Posted by: Trout1 | August 5, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I've never understood why people speed when they know that they are driving with drugs. It's almost like they forget that they are one traffic stop away from going to jail. If I was the passenger I would beat the driver up everyday for the rest of his entire life.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | August 5, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

A bust like that only comes from a tip. Someone ratted them out.

Posted by: JrWorthy | August 5, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

WTF is $4500.00 secured bail ?? Why not just give them RR release!! Oh, I forgot, it's just pot !! My bag !!

Posted by: curtis1112 | August 5, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"While searching for the rental agreement. . ." and he finds pot in the glovebox (a logical place to look for a rental agreement) the rear floorboards (definitely not a logical place to keep rental agreement) and the trunk(I've never kept a rental agreement in my trunk!). I don't think he was just looking for the rental agreement!
I can see parts of this case getting kicked based on the faulty premise of reasonable search. If the officer was truly looking for the rental agreement, and he didn't have any probably cause to search for drugs, he looked in places outside the scope of the appropriate search.
I think anything in the trunk or rear floorboard will be excluded. The glovebox is arguable and probably whatever they find there will be admissible.

Posted by: CMH_FC | August 5, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

just legalise it

Posted by: MarilynManson | August 5, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

PublicEnemy,
You're exactly right. If I were transporting drugs I would make sure I obeyed the speed limits, all my lights were working and I followed every traffic law.
As for those who feel it should be legalized I don't understand that. Look at the drug problems in the country with the cost of them inflated due to their being illegal already.
How many people don't use them for that reason(cost) or that its against the law? How does making it legal and collecting tax revenue on it fix anything? It just gives you more potential users.
Not that I believed "Reefer Madness" but with meth, heroin, cocaine, etc. people hooked on those things probably started with weed. I'm pretty sure someone doesn't get up one morning and decide to try meth that day. It(weed) is a conduit to other drugs.
That isn't to say alcohol and nicotene are addictive...but I don't smoke or drink either.
To me, once you're a certain age your life should be fulfilling enough you don't need to check out using drugs or alcohol. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't outgrown it.
Let's face it...if you're 25+ and still need to smoke dope your life is missing something pretty significant.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | August 5, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

trout,

YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

The police are the "enemy of civilization????"

You need a lesson in government. Police enforce laws. This guy was speeding. He was pulled over. This guy was carrying an illegal substance with the intent to sell. He was arrested.

WHERE THE HECK IS THAT A POLICE PROBLEM?!

Grow up. Read a book about how our country works.

If you disagree with pot being illegal, that is one thing. But I am sick and tired of people like you making police out to be villains.

And to the rest of you that think this was a waste of police resources... please elaborate. Because it was a speeding stop....

Posted by: pjclarkfour | August 5, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey CMH_FC....
It sounds like the first place he looked for the rental agreement was the glove box which, you're right, is a logical place for a rental agreement to be. While in the glove box, the officer saw pot. This gave him probable cause to search the rest of the car.

Posted by: Ms511 | August 5, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

pjclarkfour wrote "If you disagree with pot being illegal, that is one thing. But I am sick and tired of people like you making police out to be villains"

What? The police are utterly corrupt, violent, and generally as bad as those they arrest. Most would be criminals if they weren't part of that goon squad. Sounds like you are just another go along conformist sheep.

They are corrupt and violent to the CORE!

Posted by: Trout1 | August 5, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Uhh, the car probably reeked pretty hard. All of those places are not good places to store that much weed. They got busted because they're morons, not because the officer set out that day looking for a few pounds of pot.

Posted by: Nymous | August 6, 2010 3:07 AM | Report abuse

was this a profiling bust? guess not have not heard from aclu and fellow whiners. morons speeding because they do care about laws and know penalty is basically nothing. legalize the sheet and tax heavy.except in dc where u can get it for nothing if u have a doctors note,and are on welfare

Posted by: pofinpa | August 6, 2010 4:27 AM | Report abuse

Interesting. My neighbor was given a warning when she was pulled over on route 50 for speeding in a rental car. She was on her way to the Eastern Shore for the weekend. She couldn't find her rental agreement (it was in her luggage in the trunk). She showed the officer her license, and he warned her to slow it down. That was it.

Posted by: 12345leavemealone | August 6, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

PublicEnemy1 wrote: "I've never understood why people speed when they know that they are driving with drugs."

Because generally speaking, young dudes with drugs haven't learned very many lessons in life. Most young people feel they are invincible, and nothing will happen to them. I just thank God it wasn't a pair of conservative bullies, or the police officer could have been killed by their inalienable right to have a gun and shoot people when they don;t like what they are doing.

Posted by: swatkins1 | August 6, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Why was the officer searching for the rental agreement and not the driver? I've been pulled over in a rental car. I provided the rental agreement.

I highly doubt anyone would be so dumb as to hide weed in the glove compartment. How much weed could be stored there anyway? I am willing to bet that the officer claims he found weed in the glove compartment upon looking for the agreement. That would give him probable cause to search the rest of the car.

In reality, the officer had likely searched their car or had intended on searching the car with little cause as speeding is not grounds to search a car. He probably found the weed elsewhere and claims that there was weed in the glove compartment, necessitating the search. Crooked, Crooked cops. Here is another thing. I bet you the arrested were black. Not to make this a racial thing. But I can't see many whites getting their cars searched for speeding.

To those of you who applaud the police efforts: ask yourself if you truly feel safer with these guys being arrested for possessing less than $5K (depending on the weed) of a plant. If so, then you should have no problems providing them their lawyer, paying for their probation officer, court time, etc.

Posted by: nate20011 | August 6, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

How ridiculous. LEGALIZE IT NOW !

Posted by: spro | August 6, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

The mules should have known where the rental agreement was anyway. Put it over the sun visor. Once that glove box open and the pot was displayed everything else is free access. If the glove box was lock than the Police needs a search warrant. Them two IDIOTS were probably high anyway.

Posted by: access11 | August 6, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Dumb & Dumber! Speeding with multiple stashes just provides exponential ways to get busted. If that cop didn't get them another one would have.

Ok to speed but just a little bit...
Cops figure those going exactly the speed limit or less actually have a higher probability to be carrying.

Posted by: GarrisonLiberty | August 6, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

>>>people hooked on those things probably started with weed. I'm pretty sure someone doesn't get up one morning and decide to try meth that day. It(weed) is a conduit to other drugs.>>>

actually they probably get started on cigarettes or alchohol..the true gateway drugs! cigs -> booze -> weed -> whatever

Posted by: mizage | August 6, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mizage | August 6, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

If they had been illegal aliens from Obama's extended LaRaza family, the perps would be back on the streets already with no bail.

This is a plain case of Federal discrimination against American citizens.

Posted by: Patriot12 | August 6, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"Both men were taken to Young Correctional Institution. Harley was being held on $4,501 secured bail, and Lancaster was being held on $4,500 secured bail."

Harley must be Public Enemy #1, since the Delaware authorities in their finite wisdom tacked an extra dollar to his bail. The citizens of Delaware can collectively breathe a sigh of relief knowing that Harley is off the streets.

Posted by: GP04 | August 6, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Hey drug dealers, speeding down the highway with drugs in your car, is a police magnet....Morons!!

Posted by: demtse | August 6, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

It's called dope for a reason.

Posted by: slim2 | August 6, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the posters about the comments 'trout' made, he is totally naive, uninformed and has no place posting a comment if its not serious. I hope one day he will need the 'cops' to get him out of a serious bind. Some people need to learn to THINK.

Posted by: Stevedoro | August 6, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Patriot12,
In your little, closed dumb mind every social problem is caused by immigrants, isn't it.
Maybe if you opened your eyes you would see that criminals are criminals regardless of race.

Posted by: rabanito | August 6, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"dajew405"

They were speeding, which, believe it or not, is the leading cause of ALL deaths on the road.

We killed about 34,000 people and injured more than 2 million on our roads last year.

That's about 8 or 9 times the total of soliders killed in Iraq (over 7 years).

Amazing huh?

Posted by: Capsheaf | August 6, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Word to the wise - when transporting big heavy bags, do not speed!

Posted by: fleeciewool | August 6, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Was this really worth borrowing money from the Chinese for ?

Posted by: metroman76 | August 6, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse