Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

"Dead man" pleads guilty to attempted fraud in Fairfax

Rodney Newsome, whose last court case in Fairfax was dismissed when the judge was informed he had died, pleaded guilty Monday morning to an unrelated case of attempted fraud, committed seven months after his alleged passing.

His request to be released on bond was then summarily rejected by Fairfax Circuit Court Judge Marcus D. Williams.

Newsome, 38, pleaded guilty in 2007 to attempted fraud, but in 2008 his lawyer told the court that Newsome had undergone brain surgery and was in a coma. Two doctor's notes were presented to the court indicating that Newsome was in a vegetative state. In May 2009, lawyer George Freeman submitted a form from the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene indicating that Newsome had died on May 23, 2009.

A spokesman for the Maryland health department said the form, while not a death certificate, was a genuine form widely available in any facility affiliated with the state health department. He declined to comment on the specifics of the Newsome form.

Because of his death, the case against Newsome was dismissed. Fairfax Chief Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Ian M. Rodway, who previously requested a warrant for Newsome because he had "arisen from the dead," said Monday he would file a motion to reopen the case because Newsome had committed a fraud on the court
In other fraud news, a man walked into a BB&T Bank branch in Oakton in December with a check stolen from a check-cashing store in Warrenton, prosecutors said. The man opened up a new account for $4,500, and a short time later tried to withdraw cash from the account. That request was denied, and Newsome was arrested in February for attempted fraud.

In their investigation of the case, Newsome's death was not uncovered by Fairfax police or prosecutors. For his part, Newsome showed up for each of his court appearances in the new case. He even changed one court date after it was set, and showed up for that one too.

But after his indictment last month, a Fairfax court clerk noticed Newsome's name and recalled dismissing his prior case due to his death. She notified Fairfax prosecutors, and at his next court date, he was taken into custody.

On Monday, Newsome pleaded guilty to attempted fraud in the most recent case. And his lawyer, Lavonda Graham-Williams, continued to maintain that Newsome was a victim of someone's else's legal shenanigans. She asked Judge Williams to release him because "we need to be able to investigate that."

Williams declined.

Graham-Williams said that Newsome was "very curious to get to the bottom of this. He's just as much a victim as the court is."

-- Tom Jackman

By Tom Jackman  |  June 7, 2010; 12:55 PM ET
Categories:  Cons & Scams , Fairfax , From the Courthouse , Tom Jackman , Updates  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fairfax man sought after W. Va. fire kills woman, 3-year-old
Next: Terminal mom kills disabled son and herself


What a knucklehead...only to be outdone by his moron attorney who helped him perpetrate this.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | June 7, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

He basically defrauded his way into trouble, then out of trouble, then back into trouble again. I dont buy the lawyers version because he still could have shown up in court even if someone else had forged his death in the prior case. When it was dismissed wouldn't you want to find out how that happened? How did you know not to come to court? Unless you already knew that the notification was filed to the court regarding your case. He should have quit while he was ahead.

Posted by: ged0386 | June 7, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Warning to criminals: if you commit a crime in Fairfax and then die they will ressurect you, prosecute you and put you in jail.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | June 7, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company