The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Fairfax motorcyclist killed in crash

A Fairfax County man was killed Tuesday morning when his motorcycle collided with a sport-utility vehicle that turned into his path in the Annandale area, Fairfax police said.

Police said Garrick C. Nelson, 23, was driving his 2007 Kawasaki motorcycle west on Little River Turnpike just before 9 a.m.

As he approached the intersection with Woodland Road, just inside the Capital Beltway, a 2011 Honda CR-V sport utility vehicle driven by a 64-year-old Annandale woman turned left at Woodland and Nelson crashed into it, police said.

Nelson, who lived in the 5900 block of Craig Street, was rushed to Inova Fairfax Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The driver of the SUV was also taken to the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries. She was not charged, and police do not believe speed or alcohol were factors in the crash.

-- Tom Jackman

By Tom Jackman  |  September 7, 2010; 3:45 PM ET
Categories:  Fairfax , Tom Jackman , Traffic Accidents
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Court upholds tracking suspects with GPS
Next: Off-duty officer charged with assault

Comments

Why was the driver who failed to yield the right of way, which directly resulted in the death of another motorist, not charged with a crime? VA is quick to condemn speeders as criminals yet they fail to arrest a killer? If you're going to kill someone in VA, kill them with your car and act like it was just an "accident."

Posted by: freedomgli | September 8, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to know the same thing.
A 23 year old is dead, a family ruined, because of this woman who was unable to yield and resulted in this innocent man being taken from this earth. How is she not being charged? She needs to see her day in court and face this family.

Posted by: lovebear | September 8, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I knew this young man personally and he will be sadly missed by many friends,also there should be some charges,failure to yield,wreckless driving?

Posted by: roadking05 | September 8, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

the class of 2005 from lansing j.w. sexton high school sends our condolences to his family.

RIP Garrick Nelson

Posted by: hallm26 | September 8, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I knew Garrick personally, in fact calling him my "other son." My heart is grieved by this....Gone too soon! I'm praying for the family that they may be comforted during this very difficult time. And it is true what they say.....the good die young. Rest in Peace Garrick.

Posted by: gigi819 | September 8, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Garrick and his family have been friends and neighbors of me and my family for a long, long time. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family... RIP Garrick, you were an awesome young man, friend, son and brother. We love you.

Posted by: axiom85 | September 9, 2010 3:56 AM | Report abuse

I've known Garrick and his family for a long time. My heart is broken, I really can't believe this has happened. Charges need to be brought against this woman. Please pray for Garricks' family the loss is tremendous. So many are grieving in Michigan, we need a memorial here. So many were touched by this young man he will be missed.

Posted by: DenningsC | September 10, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Someone very close to me witnessed this accident and has been deeply affected by the tragedy of seeing a young man lose his life so suddenly and violently. He believes Garrick died without suffering and he and I both send heartfelt sympathy to his family and friends. My friend and I are getting to know Garrick a little through your posts and understand more the impact of this tragedy. My friend also indicated that the accident was truly just that. The motorcycle was the only vehicle on that stretch of road and the woman was making a turn which made it difficult to see him, especially because she was facing into morning sunlight which hampered visability. My friend said this older woman was extremely distraught and blamed herself. I imagine she continues to suffer greatly having accidentally caused Garrick's death and having witnessed it so closely. If punishing her would make anything better, I would say she has been punished as she will likely be haunted by this event for the rest of her life. My heart goes out to Garrick's loved ones and to this woman, as well. I pray that everyone will eventually find peace and that Garrick's life will bring about fruit in the lives of those who loved him so much.

Posted by: AliHans | September 11, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

For the person who claims their friend saw the accident. I would love to talk to you OR your friend. If you could respond to this and are comfortable giving your email address, I wold greatly appreciate it.
Garrick is smiling down on us, wanting us to smile and heal. With time, it will, and it is hard, but I know Garrick would want me to be smiling :)

Posted by: lovebear | September 12, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Turning in front of an oncoming vehicle, even if the sun in your eyes, is a traffic infraction. The other driver felt bad when it happened, but wait until the insurance company gets ahold of it. She will probably deny everything and claim he was speeding. If the police had charged her, at least there would be some justice.

Posted by: good1 | September 14, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse