Hit-and-run victim lands in jail: Police

The victim of a hit-and-run in Vienna joined his suspected assailant in jail after he chased down and punched the motorist, authorities said.

Gabriel Possu, 55, apparently became enraged when Lino Recarte, 22, sideswiped his car in the 100 block of Patrick Street SE then fled the scene Saturday evening, Vienna police said in a Friday press release.

When Possu caught up with Recarte, he approached his car, punched him and grabbed his neck, police said.

Possu was charged with assault and battery. Recarte was arrested on drunk driving and hit-and-run charges.

Both men were being held at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center, authorities said.

-- Mike McPhate

By Washington Post Editors  |  July 16, 2010; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  Fairfax
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Loudoun missionary officer indicted
Next: Shooting victim clears legal hurdle

Comments

In the words of Chris Rock, "I'm not saying its right, but I understand"

Posted by: Redial1 | July 16, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Redial1, those are wise words. This is kind of funny. I can't believe he might face charges! The guy hit and run! He deserved it.

Posted by: FiatBooks | July 16, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Chris Rock is SO right!!! I agree with you guys!

Posted by: DecafDrinker | July 16, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

In the words of Chris Rock, "I'm not saying its right, but I understand"

I totally agree.

LMAO!

Posted by: washkrdj | July 16, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Seems like justice was already served. All protection to a hit and run driver should be voided by definition. Free Gabriel movement starts now.

Posted by: cynical1 | July 16, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

The younger one lacked guidance so he was showing him some tough love!

Posted by: SusanMarie2 | July 16, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

It's not about Justice, IT'S ABOUT LAWS. There is very little justice in the US Justice system.

Posted by: dwj703 | July 17, 2010 5:50 AM | Report abuse

What a trip! Did they keep fighting in lock down? Or did they happen to realize where they were?

Posted by: skinfreak | July 17, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Lino had a valid driver's license and insurance - I'm sure.

One thing most people are not sensitive to is how car insurance rates are affected by your zip code - which reflects how many people drive without the legal right to drive and cause accidents.

If a guy who is 55 chases down a 22 yr. old drunk driver who has damaged his personal property, I say he should have thrown Lino's drunk butt in the trunk, driven to the edge of the Potomac, and "end of story".

Keep this in mind the next time some moron from Mexico cuts you off in traffic and he is alone!

Posted by: cibor | July 17, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

That is pretty funny and the 22yo totally deserved what he got! However, I don't know where this cibor moron gets off. There's no information about where either of these guys is from, their citizenship, or whether they have licenses, but cibor seems to know all and determines (magically? racial profilingly?) that the 22yo is from Mexico. What I'd love to see is a group of illegals pulling up next to cibor's car and going gangster on his butt. Whatever that might entail...

Posted by: Khepera | July 17, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse