Man found dead in Va. home after fire
A Fairfax City man was found dead in his home Tuesday morning after a fire that investigators think may have been sparked by a smoldering cigarette.
Fairfax City Assistant Fire Chief Andrew Wilson said the man was in his 50s and lived alone.
The fire, in a house in the 10900 block of Orchard Street, off Jermantown Road near Lanier Middle School, was reported by neighbors about 7 a.m., Wilson said.
The man and his dog, which also died, were discovered in a bedroom, but investigators think the fire started in the living room, Wilson said.
A preliminary investigation indicated that a cigarette may have caused the fire, which fire officials believe had been burning for sometime before its discovery.
A neighbor called police Monday night about 10:45 p.m. to report a smell of smoke, Fairfax City Police Chief Richard Rappoport said Tuesday, but neither the neighbor nor two officers could find the source.
-- Tom Jackman
Washington Post Editors
| October 13, 2010; 1:27 AM ET
Categories: Fairfax, Fires & Fire Safety, Tom Jackman
Save & Share: Previous: Help sought locating missing man
Next: Costumed criminals take N.Y. boy's bike