The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Posted at 2:56 PM ET, 10/25/2010

Motorcyclist killed in Fairfax accident

By Tom Jackman

A Prince George's County man was killed Sunday afternoon when his motorcycle crashed into a sport-utility vehicle in the Annandale area of Fairfax County, Fairfax police said Monday.

Police said Samuel Posey, 31, was driving a Suzuki GSX 100 motorcycle east on Edsall Road, just east of Backlick Road, about 4:43 p.m.

A 48-year-old woman driving a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo pulled out of Dublin Avenue, making a left turn onto Edsall Road, and into the path of the cycle, police said.

Posey's motorcycle struck the front of the SUV, police said. Posey, who lived in the 5300 block of Smith Drive in Indian Head, was taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital, where he died at 5:25 p.m., police said.

Investigators do not think alcohol was involved, and are still investigating to determine if speed was a factor in the crash. No charges were filed.

-- Tom Jackman

Database: 2008 U.S. motorcycle deaths

By Tom Jackman  | October 25, 2010; 2:56 PM ET
Categories:  Fairfax, Tom Jackman, Traffic Accidents
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arrest after Springfield shooting
Next: New Md. administrative judge looks to technology

Comments

Look twice, save a life.

Posted by: RandomAnon | October 25, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Talking on the cell phone? Doing her nails? In a hurry? Well, don't worry, the man she just killed was only a motorcyclist which "collided" with the SUV.

Posted by: wjc1va | October 25, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

How sad to lose your life doing something you love and enjoy. Why can't we share the road with motorcycles? Not all motorcyclists drive like the Biker Boyz movie. May the family of Mr. Posey one day find peace with his tragic death.

Watch out for motorcycles!

Posted by: Ross65 | October 25, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

RandomAnon you couldn't be more correct. As a motorcyclist I often hear, "motorcycles are hard to see" to which I always reply, "especially when you don't bother to look".

Posted by: jcoates2 | October 25, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Mr.Posey will be missed. It is a shame that he is no longer with us , he was a very kind person and never had a bad thing to say about anyone , he was a true family man. Please keep his family and friends in your prayers.

Posted by: hjharley9 | October 26, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse

My biggest fear as a rider... That left hand turn.

Then again we had a biker fatality that involved a bus not far from where my children went to preschool. Bus was making a left hand turn and there is a blind rise into that neighborhood. The biker was found to be travelling at a high rate of speed and he struck the back of the bus. He was going so fast that the bus driver could not react and the rider split the bike in two with the force of the crash. I saw the aftermath and it was gruesome. The bus driver was not found at fault because of the speed the biker was going and the spot where he struck the bus.

I have also seen bikers try to run in front of cars making a left turn. The biker was not near the intersection, the vehicle was halfway through and the biker sped up, zoomed past me and swerved around the front of the car.

Both motorists and bikers have to be more careful. I am also curious to find out how many of these bikers have taken a safety course. I remember a lot of these issues being covered in the course I took.

Posted by: Homemom | October 26, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

I realize it is probably asking too much for the Post to get their facts right but I dont think there is such a thing as the GSX 100. Perhaps its the GSXR 1000 they were talking about?

Like I said, hate to have correct facts get in the way of a good story...

Posted by: dcmidnight | October 26, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------
and the top speed for the motorcycle he was riding?? 180 mph. I'm sure he wasn't travelling that fast..but I don't care how much you look, if a bike is travelling at a speed well above the limit (which may or not be the case in this accident) you can not react fast enough.

Posted by: whataboutfreedom | October 26, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Cannot see a motorcycle? I find that hard to believe if the bike is one built in the 1980s or later, and is coming towards you. These bikes all have automatic headlamps and they are on anytime the bike is running. Dy or night, it's pretty hard to miss a headlamp (or two with high beams, or three with running lamps!)

Posted by: PDKay | October 26, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

This man who was killed in this accident was my big brother. It is truly painful to see this posted as it makes this whole thing a sad reality. Thank you everyone for your kind words. My family is trying to cope and deal with it all. My brother was a good and safe motorcyclist. Please be careful on the roads and look out for bike riders. Please! God bless and take care of yourself and your neighbor. Thanks

Posted by: Honiebunch19 | October 27, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse

This man killed in this accident was one of the nicest and kindest people in the world, not a harsh or unkind word has ever come out of his mouth. He was a very well knowledged and safe rider. This tragedy has hit home for my family and our prayers go out to Mr. Posey's family. He will forever be missed. Please look twice in turns and lane changes, share the road with motorcyclists.

Posted by: simonerobinsonjr | October 27, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse