Top Redskins pick gets ticketed

Offensive lineman Trent Williams, the Redskins' first draft pick this year, is due in Fairfax County traffic court next week for a reckless driving ticket he picked up on the Dulles Toll Road in June, court records show.

Williams, 22, was pulled over at 1:10 a.m. on Sunday, June 6. He was allegedly going 90 mph in a 55-mile-per-hour zone, according to the ticket written by Fairfax Officer Amanda Bronson, as he headed west on the toll road near the Fairfax County Parkway.

He was driving a four-door 2010 Porsche, according to the ticket, which does not have a space for the model of the car. Porsche makes a four-door sport-utility vehicle called the Cayenne, and this year released a four-door sedan called the Panamera (base price: $74,400) which cruises easily at 150 mph, according to one car blogger.

Officers may write tickets for reckless driving, rather than speeding, for anyone driving 20 or more miles per hour over the speed limit. In Fairfax, prosecutors will request a day of jail time for every mile over 90 miles per hour, so Williams will not face that. But, if convicted, he probably will have his driver's license suspended for up to six months.

Mark R. Dycio, Williams' lawyer, said that his client "looks forward to his day in court," but declined to comment further.

Other defense lawyers noted that drivers who are pulled over at high speeds on Saturday nights, or early Sunday mornings, often are given a drunk-driving test. Williams was not charged with drunk driving, and Dycio said Williams did not drink alcohol.

Williams, who is from Longview, Texas, and attended college at the University of Oklahoma, was not then under contract with the Redskins, but was participating in off-season training activities at Redskins Park in Ashburn. In late July, he signed a 10-year, $60 million contract with more than $36.5 million guaranteed.

Redskins Senior Vice President Tony Wyllie declined to comment Wednesday.

-- Tom Jackman

By Tom Jackman  |  August 18, 2010; 5:20 PM ET
Categories:  Fairfax , Tom Jackman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Traffic stop leads to stolen police rifle
Next: Fort Washington man killed in crash

Comments

Maybe he can race Ovechkin in October.

Posted by: MKadyman | August 18, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Great, yet another obscenely overpaid thug for the team. This is why I've sworn off pro football and basketball.

Posted by: DCResident10 | August 18, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

No problem. I think he can squeeze out some change for that! Ah, Fun with the new toy! We little people can only imagine what that feels like!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | August 18, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

That's who the Redskins hire, OUTLAWS! I will bet anyone that one of those guys will commit a serious crime within the next 2 - 3 years, a sensational crime.

One must have a moral compass to be intrusted with such a position on privledge.

Well, I guess anything to win a Superbowl.

Posted by: Special_One40 | August 18, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

"yet another obscenely overpaid thug for the team"

I don't see a reckless driving ticket as making the guy a thug. If he had been drunk then I might be able to agree w/ you.

The cop could have just as easily issued him a speeding ticket instead, but went w/ reckless.

In Va anything over 80mph can be considered reckless, cop's discretion. Also, anything 20mph above the posted speed limit can be written up as reckless.

Posted by: BEEPEE | August 18, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

@dcresident10

if you've sworn off pro football, why did you read this article? and does anyone who gets a speeding ticket qualify as a thug to you? or is that what you call "people of color"?

Posted by: zatoichi77 | August 18, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCResident10 | August 18, 2010 6:09 PM |
======================================
Were you a thug when you received your speeding ticket? Oh that's right, holier than thou racists don't get speeding tickets!!

Posted by: illslope | August 18, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

In response to zatoich77, my answer is a resounding yes. Anyone cruising along over 20 miles above the speed limit, thereby demonstrating a flagrant disregard for human life, is a thug in my book, whatever his color. (Bear in mind, I hadn't seen a picture of the man.)

Posted by: DCResident10 | August 18, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

@DCResident10

Overreact much?

Posted by: gandorfdapirate | August 18, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Relax DCResident10...

Gimmie a break..New toy..speeding..Id bet half of us would do the same thing..NO, probably all of us at age 22 would do the same thing. He didnt punch a woman/drive drunk/kill an animal/evade taxes/ect ect.

I think you are a moral thug DCResident!!!

Posted by: ocskins | August 18, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Suspended license for only going 90? It's ridiculous that the speed limit on that road, or any highway for that matter, is only 55mph. Nothing but a trick to line the pockets of the popo.

Posted by: jatarcha | August 18, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Regarding some of these dimwit comments, what is it about driving 90mph that qualifies him as a "thug"? I used to drive 100 frequently on 81S while I was in college. Does that make me a thug too?

Posted by: jatarcha | August 18, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Whoops--an awful lot of very defensive reckless drivers posting here. Let's see how you guys feel when someone slams into your sister's or mother's or child's car and snuffs out their life.

Posted by: DCResident10 | August 18, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCResident10 | August 18, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

You seem to have a pretty loose definition of thug. In that case do we start calling Ovechkin a thug? I mean yes this was stupid, but as someone else pointed out wait until he get's caught Drunk Driving, beating women, killing animals, or shooting himself in the leg before labeling him a thug .

Posted by: jatarcha | August 18, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Thats kind of similar for Atlanta. GA 400 has a speed limit of 55 going into the city but the flow of traffic is usually around 70, sometimes as high as 80. And to think that GA 400 is a toll road.

Posted by: RedskinsXXVI | August 18, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Gawd people get a life. He got caught going 90mph. Late at night with few cars on the road, "BFD"
Was there an accident? NO
Did he hit anything? NO
Was he drunk? NO
I guess the drivers that go 90+ mph in heavy traffic on the beltway are safer drivers.
OMG I drove 30 in a 25mph zone. HANG ME!

Posted by: Ager | August 18, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

dcresident10: sorry, but your comments are off the wall. I am a female who has a sweet Mercedes SL500 and have taken that sucker up to 100 sometimes just to blow the engine out. I love to drive fast, but I am no thug, nor do I have any points on my license!

Posted by: gladiatorgal | August 18, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I like how certain words or phrases make people cry "racism" all of the time!
If THUG refers to your race, or your people, at least that's what you think?
Then you or your peoples' actions probably represent the WORD!!!!!

Posted by: Trophyjeff | August 18, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Trent, Trent, Trent. YOU have a decision to make. Learn to run from them, learn to beat them in court, or slow down. In my long and illustrious 25-year career riding a motorcycle at extra and super-legal speeds in the Washington area (90 is piker's pace, try 155 on a BIKE on the Toll Road), I was a success in all three methods of riding like a nut and getting away with it. Contact me at Washington Post for tips.

But it gets boring. The cops are lame, they have little else to do and these days, in the Washington area, there are SO MANY police patrolling out there, I got to the point where I just slowed down. I beat the Herndon cops and Loudon County cops in court one last time each in 2008 and 2009 and packed up my bikes and car up to New England last year. Here, the roads are empty, the States of Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts have laid off 50% of their State Police, Deputies and Town police and the roads are free, open and fast for cars, bikes and trucks. Something tells me three Super Bowl rings in 7 or 8 years aren't the only reason the New England Patriots are a cool team to land on. I hear Tom Brady has a pretty fast garage at his house.

Just don't do DWI, ok, dood?

Posted by: JamesChristian | August 18, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

@DCResident10

I have had a friend die in a car accident due getting hit by a drunk driver.

Williams wasn't drunk, he was speeding in a car that's fast and he probably didn't realize it. He was on the toll road at 1 AM, which probably didn't have traffic and drove faster then he thought. It can happen to anyone. To use the word "thug" is a classic overreaction and to generalize everyone in the NFL and NBA is ignorant. Bad publicity always comes up but charity events and such doesn't attract as much publicity obviously. I'm surprised you can even read this article with your nose up so high.

Posted by: gandorfdapirate | August 18, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

He expects to lose, that's why he hired Dycio. Cheap and clueless, represented Henry's Towing for years, and lost every one of those cases, too.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | August 18, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

The best comment on this whole story was that; "Redskins Senior Vice President Tony Wyllie declined to comment Wednesday".

What a waste of time; I hate myself for reading it and wasting my time. Good work WaPost, I see another Pulitzer on the horizon. BTW, I have a four-door Porsche and at 90mph you aren't even in sixth gear. Anyone who has driven a Porsche on the toll road at 1 AM who hasn't gone over 100mph should be forced to turn their car back in to the dealer. I'm going to get myself a black leather "THUGS" jacket.

Posted by: Phillip258 | August 18, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Look people, he's young and he's got more money than most of you can ever imagine without having to win the MegaMillions.

The "Thug" comments, I notice on the internet forums, tends to be focused on our "non-white" atheletes. I personally do believe it has a tinge of slight resentment/downright racism.

Get over it people, they are young, very rich, and don't look like Tom Brady...but that don't make them thugs.

Posted by: vivaducati04 | August 18, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey viva: Tom Brady is a thug! Oops, sorry, I was thinking of Marcia Brady....

Posted by: Phillip258 | August 18, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Haven't you people learned not to feed trolls? DCResident10's day has been made thanks to you folks. Responding to the internet racists is a terrible waste of time.

Posted by: eyekey416 | August 18, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah eyekey- the other day we watched Tony Stewart driving 190mph on television and no one is calling him a thug!

Posted by: Phillip258 | August 18, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Dcresident is correct, unfortunately he is preaching to the morons of society. They will defend the Rodney King types of the world as poor black men being hung by racist, instead of condemning the actions of stupidity. And, Yes. Ovechkin falls into the category of a dumb ass if he is doing the same crap as Williams and that crappygirl who thinks is cool to drive a Mercedes at 100+ mph.

Posted by: hock1 | August 18, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCResident10 | August 18, 2010 6:09 PM

Just you're run of the day WaPo commentator racist...who is trying to get to Glenn Beck status.

...nothing new...'Thug' has replaced the 'N' word along time ago on the internet....

He is neither a ruffian or assasin

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 18, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to know why the officer decided to charge him with "reckless" driving. Going 90 mph on the dulles toll road at that hour isn't necessarily reckless in my opinion. If there was no traffic then I'd qualify it as perfectly safe. The main thing is can you stop within your seeing distance and are you more than 2 seconds behind any cars in front of you (during dry road conditions) Funny thing is, in MD reckless driving isn't until you're going 30+ mph over the limit.

Posted by: Thundershock | August 18, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hock1 | August 18, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

=====================================

So you are now comparing a non-alcohol related incident to Rodney King? That only makes sense if you're a .......

Posted by: eyekey416 | August 18, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

All the poorly paid haters chiming in like the ugly girls in HS hating on cheerleaders...LMAO

Dude is a thug only on the field dbags; he smacks DLineman and LB's...what guy hasn't gotten his speed up once or twice in his life?

You girls must still ask to borrow mommy's Buick while angrily posting from the same bedroom you grew up in...LOL

Posted by: kahlua87 | August 18, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

wash post, you guys must be desperate for news to be writing about something this stupid.

Posted by: rfrfrf | August 18, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to keep a late model Porsche within the speed limits. I'm pretty sure I'd be in jail if I had one.

Posted by: esch | August 18, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Dulles Toll Road is the ultimate speed trap - anyone exceeding the limit by more than 10 MPH can expect a ticket not a warning

Posted by: nativedc | August 18, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

going 90 in a 55 zone deserves more than a slap on the wrist. fine and suspended licences is appropriate. that's some seriously dangerous stuff.

but there's a reason he has to go to TRAFFIC court. it's because this is not a sufficiently serious crime to merit another court's time. this doesn't make the dude a thug.

yeah, this is totally an inappropriate thing to write about in the REDSKINS INSIDER page. if they didn't write about this stuff the post would be accused of being too cozy with the team for not reporting on stuff their players do.

Posted by: j762 | August 18, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: j762 | August 19, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

"I'd like to know why the officer decided to charge him with "reckless" driving"

Their discretion. My son was charged w/ reckless on the toll road last year. It was at 1AM, and he had not been drinking. The cop said he clocked my son at 81mph.

After he was charged I went online to the Va Courts website. I saw speeding cases for many people clocked as high as 95, and a few reckless cases for people in the 81-85mph range.

Not half surprising that most of the people listed at the time for speeding instead of reckless appeared to be female, all of the reckless listings appeared to be male. Of course, this was just judging by the names.

DCResident- Sorry about your friend that was killed by a drunk, but that case is far from the same thing.

I don't have any problem w/ someone getting a speeding ticket for exceeding the speed limit, but speed alone shouldn't be the basis for a reckless driving charge.

I see plenty of people everyday who stay well within the speed limit while tailgating, jumping lanes, reading newspapers, texting, etc. They are the reckless drivers.

Posted by: BEEPEE | August 19, 2010 1:59 AM | Report abuse

this kind of jack-ass bantor is why people think skins fans are forest gump on steroids. he is 22, driving a car that can go 160 and turn on a dime, with no one on the road, and the police just off a donut high. he's not dexter manley. keep it to the possibility of mcchicken get knocked stone cold against the jets in a week. that is worth barking about.

Posted by: doyouktt | August 19, 2010 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Some folks love to use the word "thug." I think it's because there is another word they would like to use, but it would get them in trouble. They only seem to use it when talking about African Americans. Considering the generic use of the term, it's strange to see it used to describe someone who violates traffic laws. Are all speeders "thugs?"

Posted by: jjhare | August 19, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

90 mph on a road i travel at night! in a porsche, too. how privileged! how mature!

Posted by: peanut47 | August 19, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps he should move to Germany. I get my BMW up to 140 MPH DAILY with no reprise from the Germans. I'm also a college educated Army Captain - so please don't label me a thug!

Go Redskins!

Posted by: Chaos744 | August 19, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Women's pro sports:
Hope Solo, best GK in the USA and maybe the world, speaks out against racisim and gets criticized.
Men's pro sports:
Dog-fighting, Rape,bringing loaded firearms into a locker room and speeding tickets...pathetic.

Posted by: 10bestfan | August 19, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely amazing that some of these comments are critical of this guy for speeding at 1 in the morning when fools SPEED in the middle of rush hour traffic in this area. Wow!!

Posted by: cmann083@yahoo.com | August 19, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCResident10 | August 18, 2010 6:38 PM

I am a thug then and so are about 10,000 people a day. I would rather be judged a thug by you then be an uptight miserable prick like you.

Posted by: Mike4169 | August 19, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCResident10 | August 18, 2010 6:09 PM
----------------------------
There goes that "thug" word again when it's a black player. Funny you call yourself DCResident10, but if you look around you on a daily basis you'll see nothing but "black DC residents", unless you live in Georgetown.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | August 19, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Hey DCResident10, were you the person who was drunk that killed your friend?

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | August 19, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

1am...no traffic...new car? 90 mph is nothing on that road. Come on people. This is a non story. Should not have even been posted.

Posted by: VaBroker | August 19, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

In this lousy economy of rising unemployment, I am surprised that the Major Sporting World (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey and even Soccer) has not tried to create "Responsible Chauffeur" jobs just to drive these athletes around. Heck, in Football, that is almost 53 seasonal jobs per team! Spur the economy, boost some morals and spread those millions around responsibly by creating worthwhile jobs that will result in more positive news!

Posted by: JohnWWW | August 19, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Wow...so he's a "THUG" because he was caught speeding and charged with Reckless Driving in the state of Virginia? I myself have been to court over reckless driving for doing 86 in a 65...on Rte 66 of all places. But I am by no means a "THUG". I am a hard working woman with a clean driving record who's never seen the inside of a police station believe it or not.

The man was SPEEDING, not shooting someone over something stupid. Some of u need to get over yourselves.

Posted by: Ms511 | August 19, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

yeah, because excessive speeding makes you a thug right? Wow, there's a lot more thugs out there than I realized. Wow, all those thugs that travel in the left lane down I-95, Man...I got watch out for those thugs. Smh...

Posted by: DMVsportsfan | August 19, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Some of these comments are just ignorant. So the whites boys flying by me in their suits behind the wheel of their benz or bmw, when im going 70 mph are thugs as well correct. Stop saying stupid things. To many people speed and drive recklessly everyday. Being an athlete does not make you a thug cause you speed no more than being white and wealthy makes you a racist. Or maybe we should re-think that that, because were I come from speeding is speeding.

Posted by: bobby31 | August 19, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Williams is not black and he is not white. He is an American so stop all this bigoted thinking.

Posted by: boyn4884 | August 19, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

If you have a performance vehicle, you simply can't help but to let her loose on occasion when the road isn't crowded - which is very rare around here.

In this economy, speeding has quickly become a tax generation tool for local municipalities.

Regardless, I'll never understand why these extremely wealthy athletes don't hire drivers to stay out of trouble.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | August 19, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Without reading all the retarded posts, I will say right now that he will not have his DL suspended at all. Not only that, if it is just for speed, the routine sentence is a fine and 6 points, and the judge in every case I have seen has offered a safe driving course to reduce the ticket to regular speeding and cut the points to 3.

People act like this is some big deal and it's not. I myself have driven at least that fast on the green line and Dulles toll roads late at night when there is not much traffic on my way to work at 4am. Anf at times I am not the fastest guy on the road. On a weekend at that time, it may not be the smartest thing because even if you are OK, there are a lot of drinking knuckleheads out there and 90 is beginning to be the unsafe speed, but it is far from anything that is newsworthy.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | August 19, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

A thug???? Please.

More like a immature kid from the country.

Some people are so clueless. Let me know if you want to meet a real thug sometime.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | August 19, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

The Toll Road is a huge speed trap, that road should be 65, everyone goes 65-70 on it anyways.

And the people calling this guy a thug are seriously delusional.

Posted by: SkinsFanSince78 | August 19, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"Wow, Batman, you mean that another one of our Role Models broke the law and said to hell with the safety of the plebes who made him rich?"

"Yes Robin, and that now qualifies him for a job at the Whitehouse!"

Posted by: burro2 | August 19, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

blah. ?Nothing to see here guys. Keep it moving. It happens...

Posted by: dsgbinmd | August 19, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

lol the moron who called him a thug in the first comment is truly dumb. football is awesome. a reckless driving ticket is nothing. i got one on a date with a WHITE GUY. is he a thug too? or just having fun with a nice car. some of you people are dolts.

Posted by: FiatBooks | August 19, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Why would this thung wanted the commish to call him "Silverback"? WHY? It's just amazing to me

Posted by: Incognito00 | August 19, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Trent Williams, Malcolm Kelly, Fred Davis--scofflaws all (and that's just this week!). The NFL is truly the American Felons League.

Posted by: DCResident10 | August 19, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Make that the National Felons League--but the thought still stands.

Posted by: DCResident10 | August 19, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Would everyone lighten up. If you were his age and was fortunate enough to be driving a new Porsche you'd probably be going 90 too. I like his lawyer, he's the boss down there at the FFX courthouse if you ever get in trouble.

Posted by: fbevansjr | August 19, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Make that the National Felons League--but the thought still stands.

Posted by: DCResident10 | August 19, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

Nice to see you're back for your daily attention fix.

Posted by: eyekey416 | August 19, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

ignore fbevans-he lies. Dycio is a dime a dozen lawyer; not even a former prosecutor. Id give give 50 names before his...

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | August 19, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCResident10 | August 18, 2010 6:09 PM
=========================

Please pull the cape over your head and tell me if you have driven on the Dulles toll road at that time of the night? Mr. 55 mph grand wizard.

Speeding = Thug?

Gimme a gaddam break!

Posted by: samiismoni14 | August 19, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

What a joke. We all know that the 55MPH limit on the major highways is not needed and is designed to increase revenue for the government by producing traffic fines. Todays average vehicle can safely cruise at 80MPH on open roads. 90MPH is nothing in a vehicle like that. People do more than that in traffic every day. This kid was out there in his $100,000 plus car in the middle of the night, all alone.....SOBER. He wasn't hurting anything. The officers chief mission is no longer to Protect and Serve, their primary mission is to wage fines on the citizens to produce revenue. Tax Collectors.

Posted by: Howsthathopeandchangeworkingforyou | August 20, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Really, “The Crime Scene”, is this where this article belongs? Tom… thanks for the research on Porsche automobiles and that really stirring lesson on Virginia Traffic Law, but most of us, we’ll never get that Porsche Panamera and it’s already too late for that distinction between speeding and reckless driving in VA… been there… done that. So now Trent Williams knows something everyone who lives in this 3 state area knows… driving in VA is hazardous to your wallet, regardless of how much you make.
-----------------------------------------------------------
@ DCResident10 I doubt that a ticket for exceeding the speed limit, regardless of what it’s called is “thuggish”… and you’ve never have a ticket… “pure as the driven snow…”

Posted by: oda155 | August 20, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

So… Hock1… please tell us what did Rodney King do other than get caught speeding in his Hyundai (which then was a joke in itself) and get his @SS beat by L.A.P.D?

Posted by: oda155 | August 20, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse