Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Backdraft at house fire causes explosion, but no injuries

An explosion on the scene of a Sunday night fire in Prince George's County caused firefighters on the scene to be blown back as much as 20 feet and their helmets to be blasted off -- but no injuries were reported, according to authorities.

Firefighters responded to reports of a fire at a single family home on the 2300 block of Prima Way in Woodmore.

At the fire
At the fire. (Courtesy Pr. George's Fire Dept.)

After about eight minutes of work, authorities said, what's called a "backdraft" -- what happens when a fire suddenly receives oxygen, causing an explosion -- took place.

That's when the firefighters were thrown back, the helmets came off and a fireball was seen. Firefighters pulled back, authorities said, everyone was accounted for, and the crews returned to work. Nobody was home; damages at the house were estimated at $250,000.

-- David P. Marino-Nachison

By Washington Post Editors  |  November 30, 2009; 11:49 AM ET
Categories:  David P. Marino-Nachison , Fires & Fire Safety , Pr. George's  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hard times, less crime in New York
Next: Local reaction to Wash. manhunt

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company