Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Fire officials issue photographic BBQ safety 'warning'

Montgomery County fire officials released photographs Tuesday to remind people to grill carefully over the Memorial Day weekend.

The Garrett Park grill fire's aftermath. (Montgomery Fire & Rescue)

A 36-year-old backyard chef suffered burns to his legs and small areas on his arms from the Sunday fire in the Garrett Park area, according to fire department officials.

-- Dan Morse

By Washington Post Editors  |  May 25, 2010; 1:43 PM ET
Categories:  Dan Morse , Fires & Fire Safety , Montgomery  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: $25,000 added to reward for information in Centreville slaying
Next: Popular Fairfax teacher on trial for sexual assault of 6th grader


Uhhh, wouldn't it maybe be worth a mention in the name of "grill safety" to state what happened to go wrong in the case of this poor chap so other people don't do the same thing? For the sake of prevention, it kind of makes a difference to know if this was the result of a rusted out gas valve, or if this guy thought he could get the grill heated up faster by covering it in gasoline first.

Posted by: duffymoon | May 26, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I agree. Tell the people the cause of the fire, so the same mistake will not be made.

Posted by: GHALL4 | May 26, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I grill all the time...What probably started this fire was that the grill was not properly cleaned to begin with and heated up to a very high temperature. Before cooking any kind of fatty meats such as steak or hamburger, you need to make sure that the underneath is free from grease or any left over food. Also, he should have a cool spot on the grill in case a grease fire does start...Looking at the picture, it seems the smoker box was occupying the opposite side of the grill. Why would you use a smoker box to cook a steak anyway. Looks to me this guy did not know what he was doing in the first place.

Posted by: Rivy1 | May 26, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Now, that's what I call "well done"....

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | May 26, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company