Frederick Co. man pleads guilty to tossing Chihuahua off bridge

A Brunswick man has pleaded guilty to tossing a Chihuahua off a bridge.

Thirty-five-year-old David Beers, whose trial was set to begin Monday, pleaded guilty to aggravated animal cruelty, a felony, and theft under $500.

Beers told investigators he got angry when the dog's owners ordered him off their property after he had pulled into their driveway to make a cell phone call in June.

Police say Beers left, but returned when the owners were gone and grabbed Zoey when she walked up to his car.

Police say Beers admitted he threw the 4-pound dog over a Catoctin Creek bridge as he drove home. The dog was never found.

Beers faces up to 4 1/2 years in prison and $5,500 in fines at his sentencing June 7.

Owner Caisha Wantz says losing Zoey was like losing a child.

This item has been updated since it was first published.

-- Associated Press

By Washington Post Editors  |  March 29, 2010; 12:28 PM ET
Categories:  Frederick , From the Courthouse
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: May date set for Richmond double murderer's execution
Next: Arlington woman charged with impersonating an FBI agent

Comments

what a cowardly, horrible and mean thing to do. I hope he gets jail time.

Posted by: MarilynManson | March 29, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

This just makes me sick to my stomach. What a terrible, inconsiderate (word the Post won't let me post).

Posted by: akchild | March 29, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I'm putting my dog down today after owning him for 15 years due to many ailments. I'd like to punch this guy in the mouth, I'm sure I'll feel better...

Posted by: dcdoug | March 29, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Let's toss him off a bridge. Nothing but a punk.

Posted by: jckdoors | March 29, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

What a low life. Dogs are family. What a sick, sad man.

Posted by: FiatBooks | March 29, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

the dude needs to be beaten within an inch of his life

Posted by: SofaKingCool2009 | March 29, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The sad thing is that this guy is married and has CHILDREN. Itt is made worse (at least in my eyes) because it wasn't an impulsive act--he planned it. It's about as sickening an act of animal cruelty as I've ever read about. And, that kind of violence and cruelty is rarely limited to animals. I doubt that he will get anywhere near as much punishment as I think he deserves, but hopefully there will be some mandatory therapy and counseling as part of the sentence . . .

Posted by: In2Caps | March 29, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

While I still feel sickened by this, I also want to caution pet owners out there...leaving your dog where it can happily wander up to anyone coming into the driveway is a bad, bad idea. I do hope, that if the family gets another dog, they at least keep it safe when they're away.

Posted by: akchild | March 29, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Many good comments here. Protect your animals. It's not about theft. We're talking about cruel, sick people out there who see these as torture targets.

I hope this man faces hard jail. Anyone who does this to take out aggression or anger is one step away from hurting women and children and innocent men.

Sick man.

Posted by: FiatBooks | March 29, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Dude should be put in the ring with a few pits... see if he can grab them and toss them off a bridge :) Dude is just a pathetic bumb that deserves to be gang raped in jail!

Posted by: rvanags | March 29, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Tonight I am going to pray for the maximum prison sentence and fine in this case. Even then, this complete waste of life would be getting off easy. There is absolutely no room in our society for such malevolents. I hope every day of the rest of his pathetic life is beyond miserable.

Posted by: VirginiaDad | March 29, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

What a disgusting excuse for a human being.

Posted by: Amelgepo | March 29, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Wait, this punk intentionally kidnapped and murdered a family's pet because said family didn't want some low-life using their driveway as the scumball's personal phone booth?

This doesn't sound like a first-offender type of crime. I hope somebody takes a good hard look at who this creep is (and what he's done) before passing sentence.

Posted by: Kdarienzo | March 29, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

What a sickening story...throw the book at this scum.

Posted by: case50 | March 29, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse