Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

A life, a (fake) death, a resurrection

Reports of Benjamin Brown's demise, it turns out, were greatly exaggerated.

He's alive and well --or maybe not so well, considering he's behind bars.

Brown, 36, of Forestville, pleaded guilty Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Washington to what might sound like a fairly dull crime: obstruction of an official proceeding. But the manner in which he obstructed it took a bit of imagination and more than a little nerve.

A few years ago, while Brown was on probation for a federal drug offense, he was arrested in the city on a handgun charge, then released to await a trial, authorities said. Because getting caught with a gun was a violation of Brown’s probation in the drug case, U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan scheduled a probation revocation hearing for Nov. 28, 2007.

Facing the prospect of jail, Brown decided he would rather die.

A day before the hearing, an unidentified acquaintance of Brown’s showed up at the federal probation office with a death certificate from the D.C. Department of Health, attesting that Benjamin E. Brown Jr. had departed this mortal coil, a victim of a shooting earlier that month. His probation officer brought the certificate to the Nov. 28 hearing. In light of the tragedy, all parties concerned, including the judge and prosecutor, agreed that the case against Brown should be closed. And so it was.

The gun case pending against him in D.C. Superior Court at the time was headed for the grave, as well, until someone noticed that Brown’s death certificate was missing the raised seal of the D.C. government, authorities said.

An investigation ensued, resulting in a resurrection.

The paper certificate was genuine, authorities said. But it had not been issued by the Department of Health, and the city had no record of Brown being killed. Brown or someone helping him had altered another person's certificate, listing Brown as the victim who had met a violent and untimely end. As best officials could tell, the former defendant wasn't a decedent, after all.

The criminal cases against him were quickly exhumed, and a warrant was issued for his arrest as a fugitive. Deputy U.S. marshals finally caught up with him June 27, 2008, at a relative’s home in Maryland, authorities said.

While he was waiting to be prosecuted on the federal charge of obstructing an official proceeding, Brown was convicted in the gun case in Superior Court and sentenced to prison. Then came this week’s guilty plea.

Federal guidelines call for a prison term of 33 to 41 months in the death-certificate case, the U.S. attorney’s office said. Brown’s sentencing hearing is to be held Aug. 6, assuming he lives that long.

-- Paul Duggan

By Washington Post editors  |  April 28, 2010; 3:50 PM ET
Categories:  From the Courthouse , Paul Duggan , The District  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tenants will have day in court sooner
Next: 17 1/2 years for former Ft. Meade soldier who ran Anne Arundel brothel


Gotta applaud the guy for trying at the very least.

Posted by: blackman1 | April 28, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

He was creative, anyway. Sharp eyes and common sense on the lack of an embossed seal.

Posted by: mortified469 | April 28, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Just waiting for the television movie now...

Posted by: cbmuzik | April 28, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"The paper certificate was genuine...but it had not been issued by the Dept. of Health, and the city had no record of Brown being killed." was it deemed "genuine"??? And will the guy who presented the bogus certificate be charged with obstructing an official proceeding as well?

Posted by: DecafDrinker | April 28, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

OH...a stolen death certificate? Seems it should be easily traced...but maybe not...

Posted by: DecafDrinker | April 28, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, now you can't believe anything that comes out of that guys mouth if he's willing to lie that he was killed.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | April 28, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company