Ex-D.C. cop guilty of weapons charges in man's 2008 shooting death
A former detective with the D.C. police department has been found guilty for his role in the 2008 shooting of a man in Southeast D.C.
Prosecutors said in D.C. Superior Court that 52-year-old Sheldon Hargrove, of Camp Springs, responded to a call from a general contractor, Ronald Johnson, who was fighting with an employee over wages. Hargrove and Johnson had been friends for over 30 years.
After Hargrove arrived to the scene in the 1600 block of 28th Street SE, he handed over a loaded semi-automatic pistol to Johnson, who then shot the worker twice in the chest as he sat in a truck, prosecutors said. The victim exited the vehicle and fled on foot as Johnson continued to fire until the weapon was emptied.
An off-duty officer, Johnnie Barnes, witnessed the shooting and helped to capture Johnson.
Hargrove, who was found guilty of weapons charges, faces up to five years in prison when he is sentenced on July 23. Johnson, who was found guilty of assault and weapons charges, faces up to 15 years.
Hargrove retired from the police force in 2007.
-- Mike McPhate
Washington Post Editors
June 8, 2010; 8:02 AM ET
Categories: From the Courthouse , The District
Save & Share: Previous: D.C. man gets 21 years in beating death
Next: Former CIA station chief pleads guilty to sex abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.