Hyattsville man pleads guilty to child sex charges
A discarded VCR and videotape in a Prince George's County dumpster led to the conviction of a 25-year-old man for the sexual abuse of a six-year-old boy, authorities announced Friday.
Maynor Quintanilla-Leon, formerly of Hyattsville, pleaded guilty to sexually exploiting a minor to produce child pornography and faces up to 30 years in prison, according to a joint statement from U.S. Attorney for the District of Maryland, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement; Prince George’s County Police Chief Chief Roberto L. Hylton and Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Glenn F. Ivey.
In July 2009, someone found the videotape in a garbage dumpster and contacted police. The police reviewed the tape, which they said showed nearly 38 minutes of "sadistic or masochistic conduct, or other depictions of violence," authorities said. During the video, authorities said the boy referred to the adult in the video as "Maynor."
Later a person police did not identify saw the man from the tape in Hyattsville and contacted police. Police looked up Quintanilla-Leon's prior addresses and identified the boy in the video. Quintanilla-Leon had previously rented a room in the home where the child lived. The boy told police that Quintanilla-Leon abused him 20 times.
Quintanilla-Leon was arrested in Texas on July 29, 2009, and returned to Maryland. Authories said Quintanilla-Leon admitted to sexually abusing the child two times and throwing away the videotape in a dumpster.
He is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 22 and faces between 15 and 30 years in prison, followed by supervised release up to life. Authorities said Quintanilla-Leon is in the U.S. illegally, and as part of a plea bargain, he has agreed to be deported after he has completed his sentence.
Authorities said the case was part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice.
Details about Maryland’s program are available here.
-- Theola Labbe'-DeBose
Washington Post editors
June 4, 2010; 1:32 PM ET
Categories: From the Courthouse , Pr. George's , Theola Labbé-DeBose
Save & Share: Previous: Fairfax cabbie killer sentenced to 15 years
Next: D.C. man dies after Memorial Day weekend shooting
Posted by: BigDaddy651 | June 4, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: kolya02 | June 4, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: whitewoman | June 5, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.