The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Mistrial in Howard Co. teen sex case

By Associated Press

A judge has declared a mistrial in the case of a former JROTC instructor accused of having sex with a 17-year-old student.

The mistrial was declared Thursday in Howard County Circuit Court after jurors said they could not reach a verdict.

Fifty-two-year-old Charles Ray Moore of Bowie had been charged with having sex with a minor and fourth-degree sex offense. He worked as a Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps instructor at Atholton High School in Columbia, which the student attended.

Moore maintained that he did not have any sexual relationship or inappropriate contact with his former student. The former student, now 18, said that she and Moore had sex in a supply room.

Prosecutors say they will retry the case.

By Associated Press  | November 5, 2010; 7:46 AM ET
Categories:  From the Courthouse, Howard, Schools, Sex Crimes  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hearing in Md. police profiling case
Next: Arson charges for Frederick teen

Comments

If she had refused his advances, I bet he'd threaten to have her dismissed by accusing her of being a lesbian and using DADT!

Posted by: 10bestfan | November 5, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

This is a tricky situation. Some of those girls accuse teachers of sexual misconduct out of spite when nothing actually happened. They do it to stepfathers as well.

Posted by: ceefer66 | November 5, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, another blame the victim troll...

Posted by: 10bestfan | November 5, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Right, 10bestfan, because all "victims" always tell the truth and all accused are always guilty, so it's never appropriate to question a "victim's" story, and if you do, you're just a "blaming the victim troll." Impeccable logic to which I'm sure every Duke lacrosse player would agree.

Posted by: klaw009x | November 5, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Let's face reality. Girls starting at 15 years of age should be able to consent. They play the game, know what is happening, and a lot of time initiates the affair. Let's stop convicting people based on these fast girls. The law needs to be changed. We are in the 21 Century and with mass media everywhere and these girls know what is going on. They willing participants, not forced and likely enjoyed it. If there was no force in the affair, there should be no conviction. Thanks to this jury (or at someone agrees with me) and do not convict.

Posted by: MEME9 | November 5, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company