The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Protest in DC 9 Case

By Keith L. Alexander

About 100 friends and family of Ali Ahmed Mohammed gathered outside the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District on Monday to protest prosecutors' decision to drop charges against the five men accused of beating Mohammed outside DC9, a popular nightclub.

Mohammed, 27, of Silver Spring, died later at a hospital. Authorities say the District's medical examiner's office has not found injuries consistent with a brutal beating.

The men, initially charged with murder, had been scheduled to appear in court today for a preliminary hearing on aggravated assault charges.

Mohammed's mother, Sashie Bule, carried a sign that read "We want justice now" The sign also had Mohammed's picture on it. Bule said her son "deserved justice."

"I need answers," she said. "I want to know what happened to my son. He didn't deserve this."

Police say Mohammed had been denied admission to the club and later came back after closing and threw bricks through the window. Authorities said the five men, who were employees of the club, chased Mohammed, held him down and punched and kicked him.

Mohammed, an Ethiopian immigrant, had worked as a security guard and sandwich maker at a local deli.

Protesters also chanted "Where is the justice America?"

Nunu Waco, Mohammed's cousin, said her family was "appalled" by the decision by prosecutors to drop the charges.

"Our family deserves better. American citizens deserve better," she said.

On Friday, when the charges were dropped, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. said in a statement that his office needed more information, including a final conclusion by the medical examiner, before moving forward. He said the investigation would continue.

"Our work is not done," Machen said. "The tragic death of Ali Ahmed Mohammed demands that we undertake a careful and comprehensive investigation to determine precisely how he died. . . . The search for justice cannot be rushed, and we will continue to pursue an active and vigorous inquiry."

Inside the office of 555 4th St. NW, employees were seen gathered at the windows of their offices looking out at the protesters. Some employees, lowered the blinds. After the 45-minute demonstration, the protesters marched to the Justice Department to hold a similar protest.

By Keith L. Alexander  | November 8, 2010; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  From the Courthouse, Keith L. Alexander, The District  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Second trial in 2007 Va. killing

No comments have been posted to this entry.

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.

characters remaining

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company