Jail for D.C. judge stalking

The ex-girlfriend of a D.C. Superior Court Magistrate judge was sentenced to more than five years in prison on Thursday for stalking the judge and breaking into her Northwest Washington home.

In an emotional and often complex hearing, Judge Russell F. Canan sentenced Taylar Nuevelle, 41, to the maximum sentence under the court’s guidelines. In February, a jury found Nuevelle guilty of stalking her former girlfriend, Judge Janet Albert, who oversees child neglect issues at D.C. Superior Court.

In September 2008, Nuevelle was found unconscious from prescription pills and wine, lying in Albert’s attic above her bedroom, with some food and a toilet fashioned from an ice bucket. Authorities said Nuevelle had been in the attic for more than 24 hours.

Albert, her voice shaking, pleaded with her judicial colleague to sentence Nuevelle to the maximum and spoke of how Nuevelle even “traumatized” her young son with unwanted visits to the house, phone calls and e-mails. Albert said the problems started when she ended the year-long relationship with Nuevelle.

“I was in a constant state of panic waiting for the next shoe to drop. I am emotionally battered by her actions,” Albert testified. Albert, sometimes in tears, said her life has forever changed because of Nuevelle’s actions.

Nuevelle apologized to Albert and blamed her actions on post-traumatic stress as a result of years of abusive relationships that began when she was a child. She maintained she was only trying to recover some of her belongings when she went to the house and was discovered in the attic. While there, she decided to end her life with pills, she said.

“It is clear I hurt Ms. Albert. There is no apology good enough. I hear her. I hear her suffering,” Nuevelle said.

Nuevelle said she began to “unravel” when she claimed Albert told her that she would use her authority as a judge to make sure Nuevelle never saw her son again. Nuevelle’s son is now 16 and is living with his father. Nuevelle said the conversation occurred after Albert found her in the house. Albert denies that she threatened to use her influence to affect Nuevelle’s family.

“I can’t take back what I’ve done. I am truly sorry,” she said.

In giving his ruling, Canan acknowledged Nuevelle’s childhood abuse, but said the abusive relationships she had as an adult, were a result of her own actions. Canan called Nuevelle’s actions “outrageous” and said Nuevelle “set forth in any way she could think of to harass and stalk” Albert.

-- Keith L. Alexander

By Washington Post editors  |  July 1, 2010; 4:36 PM ET
Categories:  From the Courthouse , Keith L. Alexander , The District , Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Life for Md. man who killed teen
Next: Man arrested for 154th time

Comments

"Nuevelle’s attorney Latif Doman said the sentence was too severe and should never have made it to court in the first place. “The lesson of this is don’t have a bad break up with a lesbian judge,” he said in an interview after the hearing. “It means you go to jail for five and a half years.” "

Another a****** DC lawyer! Glad that the stalker got 5 years - she deserves every bit of it!

Posted by: DecafDrinker | July 1, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

"Nuevelle’s attorney Latif Doman said the sentence was too severe and should never have made it to court in the first place. “The lesson of this is don’t have a bad break up with a lesbian judge,” he said in an interview after the hearing. “It means you go to jail for five and a half years.”"

Um, is the "lesson" here supposed to be based on the fact that Albert is a lesbian or a judge? I fail to see the relevance of either. Nuevelle stalked and terrorized her former partner.

To borrow from Mr. Mackey, "Stalking is bad, m-kay?"

Posted by: UrsoBear | July 1, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

what an idiot lawyer... I know that is redundant. the sentence was not about a breakup it was about stalking an individual and invading their home. I would suggest that it the judge had a
Glock 19, she wouldn't have suffered so much.

Posted by: Phillip258 | July 1, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what a dbag lawyer. Don't have a bad breakup with a lesbian judge?

I suppose it would have been the judge's fault if the stalker freak, a year after the breakup, had managed to succeed at her suicide and begun to decompose and drip down through the ceiling OF THE HOUSE SHE BROKE INTO.

Posted by: jakemd1 | July 2, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Gays and lesbians are everywhere, including the D.C. Superior Court. I wonder how many are living in the closet and being biased on the bench when it comes to gay and lesbian issues?

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 2, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 2, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how many gay and lesbians sit on the bench at the D.C. Superior Court and if they are biased when it comes to gay and lesbian issues?

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 2, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how many heterosexuals sit on the bench at the D.C. Superior Court and if they are biased when it comes to gay and lesbian issues.

Posted by: carlaclaws | July 2, 2010 2:06 AM | Report abuse

The stalker's lawyer gives it away in the end--what a stupid, callous and unforgiving thing to say but it does one thing: it confirms that the maximum sentence was the right sentence. Too bad Latif can't be thrown into a cell with the stalker.

Posted by: medogsbstfrnd | July 2, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

"...Judge Janet Albert, who overseas child neglect issues at D.C. Superior Court."

Albert off-shores child neglect issues to foreign countries?

Posted by: swatkins1 | July 2, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

The woman is nuts, BUT 5+ years is excessive when I consider that I keep reading stories of parents who abuse to the point of killing or maiming their children receiving sentences about this same length.

I mean really, permanent bodily harm vs. stalking? Let's face it, this sentence has to do with Albert being a magistrate, but the offense had nothing to do with her position as a magistrate, so that should have been irrelevant in the sentencing. That explains the defense attorney's comment due to her frustration, although, inaccurate.

Posted by: familynet | July 2, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

It took nearly 5 months to sentence this woman to 5 years in prison? Why not a treatment facility?

Posted by: MissV | July 2, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Okay, first of all, no one cares; and second, proofread the article you illiterate moron.

Posted by: fleeciewool | July 2, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I've been the victim of stalking once before, and it's a truly horrible experience. I can't even tell you how creeped out I'd be if the guy had been found in my attic! Eek! I was surprised by the sentence though. In Virginia, stalking is a misdemeanor (in my case, the stalker was sentenced to 3 months + fines). I guess it's a felony in DC?

Posted by: AnonyMiss | July 2, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Anyone doing what Nuevelle did deserves at least 5 years. I would have given her 10 or more. Unless one has been the victim in cases such as this, one would not know how awful your life becomes and how it changes everything you do, who you are and how you act. No one should have the power to do any of those things to anyone and someone who does should be put away for a long, long time.

Posted by: Oxygen1 | July 2, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The stalker got what she deserved, but she may have gotten less time had her lawyer not been such a pig!! If he so boldly made that statement to the press, I'm sure his attitude in court wasn't much different. What an idiot!!

Posted by: aktotlykrzy | July 2, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

@MissV...because that's not what Albert ask her co-workers to give. SMH because its evidence the lady is sick mentally and emotionally so why not sentence her to a treatment facility. I really think this lady is going to commit suicide.

As for her lawyer comments is was so un-called for, SMH people just don't know what to say out their mouth.

Posted by: patlr504 | July 2, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

The lesson is don't break into peoples houses, regardless of orientation or occupation.

Posted by: cyberfool | July 2, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Five years for a first offense and not even a threat of violence? I can't believe this sentence would have been handed down if a judge hadn't been the victim. I really don't care that she got five years, if everyone convicted under similar circumstances gets the same, but I do object to what I perceive is an extraordinary punishment because a judge was the victim. I would be interested in seeing the statistics of sentences handed out to the perpetrators of similar crimes against victims who are not judges. I doubt they're comparable and I suspect the lawyers statement was quite accurate.

Posted by: worgadd1 | July 2, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Nuevelle’s attorney Latif Doman should be ashamed of himself. How would he feel if someone made disparaging comments in public about his ethnicity or sexual identity. A situation like this could very easily have turned out much more tragic. The stalker needs help in learning how not to endanger and terrorize other people. I think she's about to get it. Her attorney needs help in learning to not strike out in childish and prejudiced ways just because he lost a case. Grow up both of you.

Posted by: mradams | July 2, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

There's an old saying that you should never go after a journalist, because you don't want to anger someone who buys ink by the barrel.

Likewise, you should never go after a judge, because you don't want to anger someone who makes a living by locking people up!

Posted by: acesdc | July 2, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse