Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Woman fought for justice after daughter's murder

The second part of Neely Tucker's two-part series about Carol Smith, the mother who lost her daughter Erika in a 2002 murder, ran today in The Post.

From the story:

After years of losing one court battle and then another, Carol Smith was dumbfounded in early 2008 when a Montgomery County judge ruled that Anthony Kelly, her 9-year-old daughter's alleged killer, had been found competent to stand trial. It was the first time, six years after Erika had been killed, that she could remember something going her way.
We had planned to marry in the summer. Now, with Kelly's trials suddenly coming up -- for two rapes and two murders -- we rushed it through in six weeks, a joyous if hastily arranged celebration.
The pretrial hearings and motions came almost weekly by late spring, and Carol attended every one. The rape trials began in early summer. Kelly, clearly delighted to be sparring with Montgomery County state's attorney John McCarthy, had gained weight. His barrel chest loomed above a belly. His voice was flat, just above a rasp. He rocked his weight from foot to foot during his opening argument.
Look at my criminal record, he told the jury. I steal cars and I sell drugs, but I don't rape women. He said he'd broken into plenty of houses and seen women "buck naked," but he did not bother them.


Read the full story
on The Post's web site. (The Crime Scene linked to the first part in the series yesterday.)

By Washington Post Editors  |  January 21, 2010; 8:41 AM ET
Categories:  From the Post  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crowding at D.C. youth detention center draws criticism
Next: Police may expand investigation of former Sidwell teacher

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company