13-year-old is suspect in slaying at Prince George's juvenile facility

Police are questioning a 13-year-old boy in connection with the slaying of a teacher at a state-run juvenile detention center in Prince George's County, and law enforcement sources say he is detectives' main suspect in the killing.

The boy has not been charged, and it remains unclear exactly how or why he might have killed 65-year-old Hannah Wheeling, a Bel Air resident and teacher of general studies at the Cheltenham Youth Facility. The boy is a resident of the facility, but has been moved, the sources said.

Law enforcement sources have said Wheeling appeared to have been sexually assaulted and beaten to death when another employee at the facility found her body at about 7:45 a.m Thursday.

-- Matt Zapotosky

By Washington Post editors  |  February 19, 2010; 5:34 PM ET
Categories:  Homicide , Juvenile Justice , Maryland , Matt Zapotosky
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fairfax death penalty trial postponed again
Next: Redskins' Westbrook charged with DUI in Charles County

Comments

What a shame if a 13 year-old (any age is sinful and wrong) killed this woman who devoted her life to helping the youth and her neighbors.
Young BLACK women, get married first and buy more condmos at least to keep Black and White folk safe, pleeeze you can do better,well at least some of your kind.

Posted by: foxxmacpryor | February 19, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

@foxxmacpryor-"your kind"? I'm confused...please explain. I'm sure Afro-Americans are not considered. But then again if you can't spell CONDOMS or at least proofread your seemingly racist comment, why am I even being bothered.

Posted by: gayliberalconservative | February 19, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

A 13 year-old raping a 65 year-old woman?!? I don't think there is a bright future for this perv.

He will be let out at 21, and I predict it will be less than a month before he does something just as bad, or worse. I think we will be paying for his warm bunk and 3 meals per day for the grand majority of his life.

What a waste of protoplasm!

Posted by: wobbleman47 | February 21, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Our society has moved to a very sad state of affairs when our children, yes our children, see violence as a way of life. We as parents, black white, purple and green, must teach all our children the golden rules. But first we must revisit them and live by them ourselves. This violence not only destroyed one life and her family, but the life of the young man, his family, the students that will not gain her knowledge, those who will not see the smile on that young man face. We are in a lose lose situation. What a said state we are in.

Posted by: msgns0965 | February 23, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

This is very sad. My heart and prayers go out to this dedicated employee and her family.

The level of structure and security must be based on the level of risk to staff, the skill level of the youth and his ability to control his behaviors. There are valid ways to assess skills and risk of violence. I don't know if such assessment tools were used, but I certainly support examination of the use of such tools.

I certainly can be accused of self-promotion here because I wrote such a tool,but I don't care if they use my assessment tool or someone elses. There are valid assessment tools that do this job well and I think, if they are not being used, they should be used.

Posted by: drkathy2 | February 23, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse