Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

D.C. man guilty in 2008 murder; another man guilty in stabbing

The U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia announced two convictions Friday.

Pedro Petrovic, 37, of Northwest Washington, was found guilty of first-degree premeditated murder in a shooting after a late-night party. He went on the run from police for several months after the crime.

Makeya Liggins, 20, of the District, pleaded guilty to assault with intent to kill for stabbing his mother in January.

According to prosecutors, Petrovic met Bladimir Morel and another man at a late-night party in Mount Pleasant on April 13, 2008. Later, as Morel and a friend were driving home, Petrovic drove up alongside Morel's car and opened fire near the 300 block of Riggs Road NE, prosecutors said. Morel was fatally struck.

Witnesses wrote down the license plate number of the shooter's car and called it into police, prosecutors said. Based on those witness accounts, police served a search warrant at a Mt. Pleasant home and found a weapon wrapped in a blanket, prosecutors said. Forensic tests proved that the gun was the same one used in the shooting, and also had Petrovic's DNA, prosecutors said. But Petrovic was nowhere to be found.

Six months later, police in North Carolina stopped Petrovic for another reason and discovered there was a warrant for his arrest in D.C. He was brought back to the District in December 2008. In addition to murder, the jury found Petrovic guilty of two firearms charges. Petrovic faces up to 60 years or more in prison at his July 16 sentencing before Judge Michael L. Rankin.
Liggins was at his mother's apartment in Southeast Washington on Jan. 24 when he had an argument over cornbread. Liggins got a knife from the kitchen, followed his mother into the bathroom and stabbed her in her chest. "I told you I would kill you," Liggins said to his mother, according to prosecutors. Then he fled to a relative's house, where police arrested him. His mother, whom prosecutors did not identify, survived. Liggins faces 36 to 84 months in prison when he is sentenced July 20.

--Theola Labbé-DeBose

By Theola Labbé-DeBose  |  April 23, 2010; 3:45 PM ET
Categories:  Homicide , The District , Theola Labbé-DeBose  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man's body found floating in Manassas pond
Next: Life in prison for man who participated in fatal robbery


How about doing the hard working law abiding citizens a favor.
And execute both of these POS !

Posted by: dashriprock | April 24, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company