Wake for slain trooper

More than 100 police officers, family members and well wishers streamed down the aisles of Abyssinia Baptist Church in Capitol Heights Friday to say one final goodbye to the Maryland state trooper who was gunned down outside a Forestville Applebee's last week.

Even veteran troopers fought back tears as they gazed upon the body of Trooper Wesley Brown, 24, whose casket was open and set against a row of flowers in front of the church altar. Outside, police officers and family members hugged one another and stood talking about a young man with so much potential whose life was taken callously.

"He was a great, great person," said Washington Hospital Center Officer Christopher Bell, who worked security jobs with Brown. "This is just a tragedy."

Lt. Mark Darby, Brown's supervisor, said the incident "really brings home the danger law enforcement faces." The mood inside the church, he said, was "somber."

Mary Pollard, Brown's cousin, said she could not bring herself to go inside the church until other relatives came. They were expected around 5 p.m. Relatives had figured out Brown was the youngest of 40 grandchildren, she said Thursday. Of the shooting, she said, "It kind of makes you wonder, you know, how people get stupid."

Brown was killed June 11 while working off duty as a security guard at an Applebees. He ejected a patron for uriniating inside the restaurant and a dispute over his bill, police have said,

The patron, Cyril Cornelius Williams, 27, of Seat Pleasant, has been charged with first-degree murder. A friend of Williams's, who sources have said gave Williams the gun, also has been charged. The friend, Anthony A. Milton II, 28, is charged with murder.

Maryland State Police spokeswoman Elena Morris said the inner loop of the Beltway will be closed Saturday from noon to 2:30 p.m. for Brown's funeral procession. The shutdown will begin at Arena Drive and extend south to Exit 11 (Pennsylvania Avenue).

A scholarship fund has been established in Brown's name.

Stay tuned to PostLocal.com Saturday for coverage of the funeral.

-- Matt Zapotosky

By Washington Post editors  |  June 18, 2010; 5:22 PM ET
Categories:  Homicide , Maryland , Matt Zapotosky , Pr. George's
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 20 years for Md. bar fight shooting
Next: Man sentenced for stealing from FOP

Comments

Posted by: MILLER123 | June 18, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I offer my prayers for the many family, friends and co-workers. Sometimes I just don't understand, but I do believe that through his life many lives that Trooper Brown came in contact with will be changed for the better. I also believe that while here with us he saw change in those he challenged to turn their life around. Therefore, I hope we all can find comfort in knowing that his living has not been in vain. May God continue to bring comfort to all of us in these trying times.

Posted by: MILLER123 | June 18, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

"I offer my prayers for the many family, friends and co-workers. Sometimes I just don't understand, but I do believe that through his life many lives that Trooper Brown came in contact with will be changed for the better. I also believe that while here with us he saw change in those he challenged to turn their life around. Therefore, I hope we all can find comfort in knowing that his living has not been in vain. May God bring comfort to all of us in these trying times.

Posted by: MILLER123 | June 18, 2010 9:40 PM"

*******************************************

Amen ...

Posted by: gitouttahere | June 18, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many innocent people the Maryland State Troopers will shoot in the next year to "even the score."

Posted by: angelos_peter | June 18, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

WHERE'S THE PHOTO Of The NEGRO that Murdered Him?????????

Posted by: djmcfly | June 19, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

THIS MAN WAS A PARENT'S DREAM. TO HAVE SO MANY PEOPLE ATTEND YOUR FUNERAL MEANS A GREAT DEAL TO HIS SURVIVORS. I NEVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF KNOWING OFFICER BROWN, BUT HIS LIFE WILL AFFECT MINE FOR A LONG TIME. BECAUSE OF THE KIND OF PERSON HE WAS, I'M SURE HE WOULD ASK PEOPLE TO CELEBRATE HIS SHORT LIFE, AND TO NOT HATE HIS MURDERERS. HE WANTED TO HELP OTHERS; DIDN'T HAVE ROOM IN HIS HEART FOR HATE. REST IN PEACE, OFFICER WESLEY BROWN.

Posted by: skinfreak | June 19, 2010 4:49 AM | Report abuse

Urinating inside the restaurant? The murderer sounds like a really high quality individual. RIP Officer Brown.

Posted by: randysbailin | June 19, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse