The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Motorcyclist killed in collision on Arlington Boulevard

Christopher Dean Hopkins

Arlington County police are investigating an accident that left a motorcyclist dead on Friday night.

Police said that a car heading west on Route 50 collided with a motorcycle at the intersection of Route 50 and Irving Street at about 9:10 p.m., and that an initial investigation indicated that the car was attempting to make a left turn when it struck the motorcycle, which was heading eastbound on Route 50.

The motorcycle driver was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Police said the vehicle that hit the motorcycle and its driver remained at the scene, and charges are pending against the driver. Police have not yet released the name of the car's driver or potential charges, and the name of the motorcyclist also has not been released pending notification of his next of kin.

By Josh White  | October 17, 2010; 1:29 PM ET
Categories:  Arlington, Josh White, Traffic Accidents, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Police probe Va. man's death
Next: Levy's family prepares for trial, not closure

Comments

Did they also take the driver's phone into custody as potential evidence?

Posted by: meadmkr | October 17, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I had read elsewhere that manslaughter and DWI charges are also pending against the driver.

Posted by: atact88 | October 17, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

As careful and law abiding and proactive I try to be as a motorcyclist, it's tragedies like this that scare the heck out of me. On any given day, any of us who ride two wheels (powered or not) face an onslaught of distracted, aggressive, impatient, and frustrated drivers.

Posted by: esl1 | October 17, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Cars turning left into the path of an oncoming motorcycle are one of the leading, if not the leading cause of motorcycle fatalities. Whenever I am riding, I always assume the car coming at me is going to turn in front of me so i keep a constant vigil. And as some post earlier suggested, it's getting more scary as more and more drivers are distracted by speaking on their phones or texting. Especially in the DC area where drivers seem unwilling to wait for a clear break and often make turns with barely a second or two to spare. In a collision between a car and motorcycle, the car ALWAYS wins. Please pay attention when you drive. Thanks.

Posted by: dlpetersdc | October 18, 2010 1:37 AM | Report abuse

I lost a very close friend in a motorcycle accident just last month. Someone decided that making an exit was more important than actually looking to make sure the coast was clear.
There are so many motorcyclists on the road that have absolutely no idea how to ride a bike that I'm surprised more aren't killed. Many pull right into your blind spot or ride the left line that it's difficult for drivers to see them. I lived her for 18 months and sold my bike because it wasn't worth getting killed to ride.

Posted by: callmeout | October 18, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

RIP to the pilot.

We see way too many deaths due to careless cagers.

Posted by: dand0202 | October 18, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse