The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Woman charged after NW D.C. crash

Washington Post Editors

Police have charged a 23-year-old Mitchellville woman with aggravated assault and driving while under the influence in connection with a Wednesday night crash that injured two female pedestrians in Adams Morgan.

Police have not identified the victims, but said one was listed in critical condition at a nearby hospital with injuries to her head and torso. The other was listed in serious condition. The driver, who police identified as Chamica Adams, was arrested at the scene.

crash scene

Adams Morgan crash scene. (James Calder/http://www.jamescalder.com/galleries)

The pedestrians were apparently on a traffic island waiting for the light to change when the driver, heading south on 18th Street NW, struck them as she tried to turn left onto U Street, witnesses said.

Another witness said that after striking the women, the vehicle crashed through the front window of the Keren Restaurant at 1780 Florida Ave. NW, near 18th and U streets NW.

The window was destroyed, and part of the vehicle appeared to be inside the building. No one in the restaurant was injured.

This item has been updated since it was first published.

-- Keith L. Alexander and Ruben Castaneda

By Washington Post Editors  |  September 9, 2010; 6:14 PM ET
Categories:  Keith L. Alexander , Ruben Castaneda , The District , Traffic Accidents , Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fairfax restaurateur arrested
Next: Md. man charged in fatal stabbing

Comments

Drug-crazed freak from ... where else?

Posted by: bs2004 | September 9, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Not surprisingly, the driver has MD tags on her car. MD drivers are the worst in the country (yes, even worse than DC and VA). I almost get hit by a car every day that I bike to/from work, and it's always because some MD driver is clueless about how to properly operate a vehicle.

Posted by: miknugget | September 9, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: miknugget

"I almost get hit by a car every day that I bike to/from work, and it's always because some MD driver is clueless about how to properly operate a vehicle."

Finally, there needs to be more serious and permanent consequences to people who drive while drunk or under the influence.

Posted by: HillRat | September 9, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Agree with HillRat. As a pedestrian, I have almost been hit several times by bicyclists who run through red lights. I am all for making it easier for people to ride bicycles in the city, but they have to be smarter, safe and more aware when they do.

There also do need to be stronger penalties for DUIs. This driver could have killed several people and it is incredibly lucky that she didn't.

Posted by: j_scott | September 9, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"Then stop running stop signs, stop running red lights, stop being clueless about how to properly and legally ride your bicycle in the District."

replace "ride your bicycle" with "drive your car" and it still holds. The only difference is that a bicycle careening over a traffic island doesn't put critically injure two people, while a two ton box of steel does.

Either way, DC gets it. We're winning this argument, and you keep ignorantly sitting in traffic. Enjoy premature heart disease.

Posted by: supersmax | September 9, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Replace "ride your bicycle" with "drive your car" and it still holds. The only difference is that a drunk cyclist careening over a traffic island only harms the cyclist, while a two ton box of steel puts two people in the hospital and shuts down a small business.

Either way, DC gets it, and cyclists/peds are winning this argument. Meanwhile, you are free to keep fuming as you sit in traffic and get premature heart disease. Enjoy it.

Posted by: supersmax | September 9, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to name my next child "Chamica".

Posted by: kenk3 | September 9, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Lets focus the hate on drunk drivers not cyclists who had nothing to do with this accident.

Yes many cyclists often break the law, but so do drivers. When I'm in my car most of the other drivers seem to be traveling above the posted speed limit.

Most cyclists don't run red lights or stop signs when traffic will hit them (although yes sme fools do), just like most drivers don't go crazy fast like the driver in last night's crash.

Posted by: mdurr | September 9, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Here's someone's video

Posted by: bowlasoup | September 9, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

This has absolutely nothing to do with what race the driver might be or bicycle vs. car issues. The driver was drunk. Period. Stiffen drunk driving penalties. My heart goes out to the victims and their families/friends.

Posted by: seaduck2001 | September 9, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

The courts will make her attend AA where she'll probably sit like a bump on a log, collect the signatures she needs to verify she's attended, learn nothing & go right back to it.
It would be more effective if they borrowed from AA's concept of squaring up for the damages done while drunk and make her pay the two pedestrian's medical bills and the property damages. Nothing gets one's attention like a big economic hurtin'.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | September 9, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

hey miknugget. get off the road you stupid cyclist. ever heard of a bike path?

Posted by: slim4 | September 9, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

The bicyclists are AWFUL going through K St. in Georgetown. They fly through as if they were in a bike race during rush hour, without any regard for stop signs or traffic. It really is just a matter of time before one of them is hit. I bike too, but you have to realize that drivers are looking at moving cars, pedestrians, signage, etc. The roads don't revolve around bikers! Pedestrians are much easier to see when they are in a crosswalk.

Posted by: alexandriaguy | September 9, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

These comments make me furious. It was a DRUNK DRIVER. DRUNK. It has nothing to do with where she lived.

@miknugget - MD drivers can easily be replaced with DC, it just depends on who you ask. I drive this intersection everyday, and everyday, I'm almost killed by a DC tag. Just this morning, I DC tag flew around me on the right, jumped over the curb, and ran the red light to turn on to 18th street from U... EXACTLY where this accident JUST happened. All because he/she could not wait 2 minutes for the light to change. I stopped on yellow, because everyday, I see a ped almost killed on that island. ..

@ Supersmax -I am a MD resident who works in the district. Maybe if the metro were affordable, I'd take it to work, but I can't afford it, so I drive. Sorry. And unfortunately some of us can't afford to live near enough to our places of employment to bike. I work in Cleveland Park... won't be moving there anytime soon. It doesn't mean I'll be dying of heart disease, you elitist jerk.

But you know what, if I had 1 dollar for every bicyclist I saw turning left on red, running a stop sign or nearly mowing peds in a crosswalk, I could afford to live in Cleveland Park.

Posted by: Vberlin | September 9, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

ABC news was showing the woman getting arrested last night. I'll be surprised if it was only alcohol "influencing" her driving skills.

Posted by: Hypocritic | September 9, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Pictures of the incident, including the perp getting hauled away in cuffs:

Posted by: dionysianmadness | September 9, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Glad her parents did not name her Retardicha. Chamica is bad enough, as she should be wiping jail toilets with a chamois.

Posted by: veloboldie1 | September 9, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The racist comments here are appalling. The bicycle vs. car comments have not a whit of relevance. What is relevant is that the driver was DRUNK - please stick to the topic!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: seaduck2001 | September 9, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Just this morning at Thomas Circle, I was turning right onto M Street. I saw the cyclist in the bike lane and slowed down. All of a sudden, she yelled at me to stop. She wanted to go straight, I have no idea where the bike lane ends at that point. I was looking at pedestrians and the biker was in my blind spot. I yelled back and told her she should have stopped because I definitely had a green arrow to turn. One thing is certain that if her bike had hit my car I could get up and walk away. The same was not true for her. Cyclist need to know what RIGHT OF WAY means just like drivers and pedestrians.

Posted by: pbell2 | September 9, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Looks like this girl was just coming back from Spy Lounge...

Posted by: cbmuzik | September 9, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Personally, as a DC resident(long time), I avoid areas such as Adams Morgan. This area attracts holligans from the entire metro area, and you can also add in U Street, Chinatown, Georgetown and soon to be Nationals Park/Navy Yard, drunkeness reigns supreme in these areas with irresponsible, arrogant, narcassistic sychophants who want to see and be seen. Having said that I pray to two women injured have a speedy recovery.

Posted by: MadasH | September 9, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadasH | September 9, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

seaduck2001: Have you ever thought that some of the commenters might be drunk? It's just my speculation, but that may be as close to "on-topic" you'll find around these parts.

Posted by: blankspace | September 9, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Fox News local has video of Chamica taking a perp walk . . .

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | September 9, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

__________

As as a runner, bikers never share the road. They think respect on the road is a one way street.."On your left" means get out of my way. Bikers are the worst

Posted by: monthra | September 9, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

__________

Posted by: monthra | September 9, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Someone on another blog (DCist) checked the license plate online and found $455 in unpaid fines for DC parking and speed camera tickets.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | September 9, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet a week's salary Sista Chamica was talking on her cell phone when this happened.

Posted by: Baltimore11 | September 9, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

That place does have good chicken schwarma, I urge everyone to check it out.

Posted by: dhartogs | September 9, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@miknugget |

Are you on drugs miknugget? What studies do you have to prove that Maryland, DC or Virginia drivers are better than any other jurisdiction. I've been almost run over as a pedestrian by drivers from all juridictions as a pedestrian and as a motorist. If you're going to make such a wide ranging and sweeping accusation, at least try to research to substantiate your vacant and idiotic claim.

The issue at hand is the mayhem that this drunk driver has caused for the victims and the victims families and loved ones. This driver was doomed from the moment she got behind the wheel of the car. Bad judgement, and too much drinking!

Posted by: kgeter631 | September 9, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@miknugget |

Posted by: kgeter631 | September 9, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Chamica needs to go to jail.

She also needs to have her license permanently revoked.

Posted by: bosscrab | September 9, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Chamica is a hottie.

Chamica should go to jail for a long time.

Please, no bail for Chamica either.

Posted by: kenk3 | September 9, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Truisms about traveling the streets of DC
1. jackasses travel by all modes--car, SUV, bus, bike, skating, walking.
2. almost everyone escapes sanction for bad behavior guaranteeing that the bad behavior will continue.
3. when it comes to protecting the public's safety, traffic safety is not even on MPD's radar.
4. every story on the WashPost website about driving, pedestrians, or cycling will always devolve into a stupid bike-vs-car-vs-pedestrian shouting match.

Good behavior on the roads is now so rare that when I see it, I'm taken aback at first, and then I feel the need to personally thank the person for obeying the law.

Posted by: bikes-everywhere | September 9, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain what the heck a drunk driver hitting 2 pedestrians has to do with cyclists? We get it--you hate cyclists--but save it for another story.

Posted by: emcglaughlin | September 9, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Thank You vberlin your the only one on here with sense. Everybody is off subject or wants to just comment on something because they don't have a life.If you wasn't there don't justify something yeah you can say your opinion but you sound dumb seriously..Prayers to the people that was hit and prayers to Chamica.I hope you do better from this experience.Drinking and driving is serious but mostly someone did it at one point in their time so stop with all this bs because you probably did it too but it didn't end up this bad. I do know the person that was charged and I'm not saying it was right but before yall speak know the story well before responding and just speaking off hand because yall wasn't there and you don't have no business. Again prayers and blessings to the victims and praying for Chamica.

Posted by: jaywoods1 | September 9, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

FYI...After being arrainged, Chamica has been released into society so she can mow down a couple more pedestrians...Justice at it's finest!

Posted by: MsAyesha22 | September 9, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Jaywoods1, you're an idiot. No one needs to have been there. "The story" is that Her BAC was .18, she hit two pedestrians, and crashed into a store front. Her VICTIMS suffered broken pelvic bones, facial fractures, and bleeding of the brain. Your girl walked away unscathed. She had no business behind the wheel of a vehicle. The actions of others don't justify the heinous nature of your friend's actions. If you have an ounce of brainpower, you'll learn from this and not think of it as a fluke.

Posted by: MsAyesha22 | September 9, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I am just happy that drunk driver was not a hispanic otherwise the first words of all the people who have comment would be deported, or I bet he is illegal. Not only hispanics drive while they are drunk, most of the people that go party at adams morgan drive drunk, drive by 16th street on the eary hours of the weekend and you'll see all the people getting arrested seating on the sidewalk are not all hispanics.

Posted by: ernestto25 | September 9, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

MsAyesha22 I'm talking about the people who is just saying anything sweetie and I didn't say she was right i said I hope she learn from this experince read the whole thing not just what you want to.The whole situation is crazy but everybody one here talking whatever comes out there mouths and it is wrong about what happened. Thanx

Posted by: jaywoods1 | September 9, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

of course, PG county. Uggh. I always get the H out of the way of any Maryland plates I see. Treat the city like a race track.

Posted by: brandonesque | September 9, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blankspace
_______________________________________
Interesting thought, blankspace! There's definitely a lot of ramblin' waaaaayyy off topic on reader posts in general. I have to defend "these parts" though as I was born in DC. ;-)

Posted by: seaduck2001 | September 9, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emcglaughlin
____________________________________
I second that!!! This is about drunk driving - not race, not where one lives or hangs out, and not a place for bicycle vs. car arguments.

Posted by: seaduck2001 | September 9, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

You know what DC natives say about suburban drivers? "Virginians don't know any better & Marylanders don't give a damn!"

Posted by: ssujai | September 9, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody even care about the facts before posting their idiotic comments. The women hit by the car were standing on a traffic island. They were NOT riding bycycles. The driver of the car, no matter her race, sex or where she lives, was drunk. Please stick to the facts and stop making racist, idiotic post.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | September 9, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ssujai
_______________________________________
And not a place for DC, VA, MD driver "jokes." Two victims were very seriously injured, one critically, by this drunken driver.

Posted by: seaduck2001 | September 9, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

According to Mr. Calder's excellent photography skills, the woman driving the car was a Cowboys fan.

Seriously, that explains **everything**.

Posted by: Buffalo66 | September 10, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Why are you assuming that she has bastard children, BKLManCommonSense?

Posted by: Soguns1 | September 10, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

These comments are INSANE.. hahaha

Sounds like everybody's trying to turn one drunk drving incident into a symbol of .. "something"

Relax people. People die every day, in various ways.

Posted by: Samayara | September 10, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I DO kind of agree with this little bon mot, tho.. LOL ... Im surprised there arent more bike fatalities *shrug*

"Then stop running stop signs, stop running red lights, stop being clueless about how to properly and legally ride your bicycle in the District. You know for a fact you do these things. And no, I don't drive to work, but I NEVER see ANY bicyclist riding legally or responsibly ANYWHERE on District streets."

Posted by: Samayara | September 10, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samayara | September 10, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Funny how people's perception controls their comments and behavior. People talking about cyclist, race, gender...none of it matters.
I like to pose something for thought...everyone here throws out what they think should happen to Chamica...but who here has not done something 'against the law'? I do not agree with drunk driving, don't practice it and my heart goes out to the victims and their families. Tragedy is sometimes unexplained.
For those who throw out random words that have no backing, do the research before you speak. She was not on her cell phone (one was not even present at the scene), her race has nothing to do with it, she has no criminal history of doing this.
Not saying it was right...her actions of getting behind the wheel while she was drunk was definitely WRONG. Just would like to see people take the facts for what they are and stop twisting things.
Drunk driving in any manner is wrong, and if many people get away with it everyday...along with other "crimes"
I have lost a loved one to a drunk driver before...its still not on any of us to say what should or should not happen to her.
Its better that we use times such as this to teach our children, show our youth how things like this impact human life. Practice better behavior in our own life to prevent things like this from happening...no matter race, religion, SES, nor gender.
We all should take something from this tragic situation (whether close to home or not) and LEARN. You never learned anything from talking...but what can you get from observing???

Posted by: TaeShan | September 14, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TaeShan | September 14, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

well i personally know Chamica, an now that someone has passed away from this incident its even more serious. i dont agree with what she did and i know shes better than this so i dont know wat was going on with her this nite. but i will say there was no cell phone present because she lost in 2 nites before when we were together. so im a pray for my friend an the victims.

Posted by: modelchick | September 15, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse