4th DWI earns man 4-year sentence

A Herndon man whose blood alcohol was four times the legal limit, and who was convicted of his fourth drunk-driving case in 10 years, was sentenced Friday in Loudoun County Circuit Court to four years in prison.

The drunk driving was not the only offense committed by Jose Joe Velasco, 30, on Oct. 10, 2009. Prosecutors said that when Loudoun sheriff's deputies responded to a report of a disorderly individual in Sterling, Velasco was already behind the wheel of his pickup truck, declined the deputies' request to disembark and sped away, nearly striking one deputy.

Two more deputies arrived, and Velasco nearly missed one cruiser and then crashed into the second one, prosecutors said. But Velasco kept driving, zipping through a stop sign and then crashing again. He was hospitalized for his injuries, and his blood-alcohol content was measured at 0.323. The legal definition of intoxication in Virginia is 0.08.

Velasco pleaded guilty in January to his fourth DWI in 10 years, assault on a police officer and driving on a revoked license. Loudoun Circuit Court Judge James Chamblin imposed the four-year sentence.

Loudoun Commonwealth's Attorney Jim Plowman said Velasco was from El Salvador and had been in this country illegally for 12 years. He said an immigration detainer had been lodged against Velasco and he likely would be deported upon serving his sentence.
-- Tom Jackman

By Tom Jackman  |  July 23, 2010; 5:04 PM ET
Categories:  From the Courthouse , Loudoun , Tom Jackman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Police station shooting suit in court
Next: D.C. man charged in Christmas slaying

Comments

Yet another example to support Arizona's and Prince William's crack down on illegal immigration.

Posted by: nht1 | July 23, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Any particular reason why an immigration detainer was not lodged at some point along the way when he was convicted on DWI charges the 3 prior times? Or, what's different this time? Has the law in VA been changed? Did they not check his status during his past 3 encounters with the justice system, or did they check and the feds dropped the ball? Lots of questions. At least he didn't kill someone.

Posted by: igorok | July 23, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Illegal immigration a net gain or net loss on our society?
Only in America do we allow people to rape us and then turning around and suing us for trying to protect ourselves.
If only I had Power for, I would bring back the French Guillotine for people committing treason against their country.

Posted by: orangebee6 | July 23, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: trazom56 | July 23, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Illegal Hispanics committing the crimes no legal immigrants will do.

Posted by: zcxnissan | July 23, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, I think the U.S. will be better off the day after he's deported, and would have been better off had he been deported long before now. I'm just not sure how that's related to his criminally irresponsible actions.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 24, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

orangebee6 - I find myself questioning the validity of your assertion that the Mexican side of the border is more tightly patrolled than the U.S. side. I'm gonna have to check that out. And even if it's true, are you sure that they're not trying to do the same thing the Americans are, i.e. stem the flow from Mexico to the U.S.?

Or are you posting posting from Mexico?

Posted by: Bob-S | July 24, 2010 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Bob S. let me explain this to you in many parts, he is not legally allowed to drive, have a driver's license, have a job or own or rent a home and yes if he was employed the employer should be heavily fined and or any other illegal workers fired and deported, no ifs, ands or buts. Now if he was a local and native bred fellow it would still be a jail offense however it would have happened anyway. This individual was here illegally and as such shouldn't have happened as well as his callous disregard of the law and safety of others.

Posted by: zcxnissan | July 24, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

To read these xenophobic comments, one would think that a born American would NEVER commit any crime whatsoever, never drive drunk, never break any law.

It just ain't so.

DUI is DUI, the nationality of that jerk has nothing to do with it.

And, BTW, people living in glass houses should not be throwing stones at "illegals". Pretty soon you will be going to China and India seeking jobs... You too will be illegal. We'll see how you like that. That's karma 101.

Posted by: tess9 | July 24, 2010 3:17 AM | Report abuse

.32 is close to dead.

Posted by: gary4books | July 24, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

"Let me ask you this: why is the other side of the Mexican border patrolled by their army while this side of the border is wide open?"

Really? When I lived in Laredo, Texas I could go to the 20K marker in Mexico without any documents, just my smile. And the Texas side is not "wide open." They stop me and ask if I am a USA citizen. Of course we are all "Americans" in this hemisphere.

Try to get some facts.

Posted by: gary4books | July 24, 2010 6:41 AM | Report abuse

I guess an American could not be found to commit this crime.

Posted by: cr10 | July 24, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"Loudoun Commonwealth's Attorney Jim Plowman said Velasco was from El Salvador and had been in this country illegally for 12 years."

If it nwas known for 12 years that this excrement was here here illegally (oops! I mean that he was "undocumented") and had been driving drunk, why on earth wasn't he deported?

Let me guess: he was doing work "Americans won't do".

"He said an immigration detainer had been lodged against Velasco and he likely would be deported upon serving his sentence."

Good. Never should have been here in the first place.

Posted by: ceefer66 | July 24, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

tess9,

Please explain yourself.

I'm asking this in all seriousness because I really don't understand your mindset.

As the son of Jamaicans who came to this country LEGALLY (which at that time meant applying for a visa, waiting their turns, reporting their address to immigration authorities annually, and returning home for a year while leaving their spouse alone with 4 young children), I simply do not understand why you would call Americans who have a problem with people "breaking in" illegally "xenophobic" and why you would wish us misfortune while you hide behind the "karma" thing.

Please explain yourself because I just don't get it.

Posted by: ceefer66 | July 24, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"Really? When I lived in Laredo, Texas I could go to the 20K marker in Mexico without any documents, just my smile."

Maybe, just perhaps, that's because no one is trying to sneak into Mexico from the US? Just a guess.

"And the Texas side is not "wide open." They stop me and ask if I am a USA citizen.""

As they should.

"Of course we are all "Americans" in this hemisphere."

But not all are US citizens. There's a difference, in case you forgot.

Posted by: ceefer66 | July 24, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

It's always been Virginia's custom to allow a half-dozen drunk driving charges before getting tough with repeat offenders.

After all, as the boozers say, "I need to drive to get to my job."

And remember, you're not drunk until you pass out. Your lawyer will tell you that.

Posted by: kinkysr | July 24, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

1. For *anybody* committing DUI/DWI, the penalties should be much greater. Many people boast of having driven drunk dozens of times. A few are caught but often receive slap-on-the-wrist penalties.

2. For illegal aliens, a single DUI/DWI should be a deportable offense.

3. trazom56 wrote:
"Two years ago, I was trying to talk a drunk latino out of his car. He turned sharply while peeling out and hit me in my knees. I lost half the cartilage in my left knee and it really damaged my right knee. The police never caught him. This has really messed up my life. I cannot understand our lax attitude towards people who behave so poorly."

I'm sorry to hear that this lowlife did this to you.

Maybe it's better to give a brief verbal warning, get the license plate number, decent descriptions of the driver & vehicle, and (literally) step back and let the cops do the rest.

You're dealing with cultures dominated by machismo (e.g. the belief that might makes right) where drunk driving isn't even considered a crime in many cases. Best to let law enforcement deal with these reckless ****s.

And "tess9" -- nice going there, wishing for domestic unemployment for people in the middle of a nasty economic downturn. Karma works both ways, you hateful __fill_in_the_blank__.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | July 24, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

This man is lucky to be alive. Luckier than him are the people he would have hit and killed or disabled had he not received 4 years in prison. The laws need to be changed. This man was sited 4 times in 10 years. That means he wasn't caught other times. A person who is caught driving for a second time, that person should attend rehab to retain driving privileges. Third infraction, removal of drivers license for a minimum of five years. If the person is caught driving without a license, add on 2 addition to no license. The current laws are not effectively penalizing drunks.

Posted by: skinfreak | July 24, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

And when his sentence is over, kick him out of our country.

Posted by: skinfreak | July 24, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

A big difference between an illegal committing an act such as this and a citizen is recourse. The sheriff's department would be able to garnish wages after the sentence from a legal resident or citizen, they can't do that with this scum. All too often citizens are victimized with no recourse while the illegal gets off scot free. Ask anyone who has ever been hit by one in a car accident what they think of the system. The medical system suffers the same fate and is one reason why so many hospitals have gone belly up in this country. The housing crisis has been proven to have started in 6 primary states, a large number of foreclosures were to illegal immigrant buyers who walked away after getting in over their heads in the subprime mess. I know one personally who was making $9 an hour as a janitor and had a $320,000 mortgage he lost.
I hate the double standard. My mother immigrated here legally and it took her 9 years. Others come here and think they are entitled to everything she worked so hard for without any effort given.

Posted by: scott9050 | July 25, 2010 6:05 AM | Report abuse

"Hmm... I'm not sure I understand the point of conflating this dangerous butthole's behavior with an immigration debate. Would his actions somehow be less egregious if he was a local-born & local-bred fellow?"

Posted by: Bob-S

*******************

C'mon, you really can't be that obtuse. There isn't any conflation between the notions that if the person wasn't somewhere he wasn't legally allowed to be, the crime that occurred at the location would never have occurred. They're actually linked: if he wasn't here illegally, the crime would never have occured. It has nothing to do with how "egregious" the behaviour is, but rather with the fact that the first crime (entering the country and staying here illegally) is, in fact a predicate to the second crime (drunk driving in the U.S.). Of course, it goes without saying that I'm troubled that the 3 prior convictions didn't trigger immigration issues, which should likewise have prevented this situation.

Posted by: klaw009x | July 26, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"...likely be deported upon serving his sentence..."?? Why are WE paying for him to sit in jail!? Why is this on our dime!?

Posted by: aktotlykrzy | July 30, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse