Motorist runs down Good Samaritan in Loudoun: Police

In the Leesburg area, a 44-year-old man was trying to do his friendly deed of the day and help push a disabled car through a snowy street Monday afternoon.

But he apparently wasn't doing it fast enough for at least one other driver, and mayhem ensued.

Loudoun County sheriff's officials said several cars were waiting for the disabled car to be cleared from the 18900 block of Longhouse Place, just off Potomac Station Drive near River Creek Parkway.

About 4:40 p.m., a Pontiac Grand Am gunned its way around the pack and began driving toward the good samaritan. The Samaritan waved his arms to try to stop the Grand Am, but then was forced to leap on the hood of the disabled car, sheriff's spokesman Kraig Troxell said, and the Grand Am swiped his legs as it went past.

The victim exchanged words, perhaps not kind ones, with the Grand Am's driver, who then took off. Deputies later found the alleged driver and arrested Craig A. Vandusseldorp, 54, of Leesburg. He was charged with felony assault and reckless driving.

Troxell said the samaritan/victim was not seriously hurt.

Vandusseldorp said he was just trying to leave his subdivision to go the gym with his wife. "I was just swinging around some folks because I thought they were just there visiting," Vandusseldorp said Tuesday morning. "I did not know what they were doing. This guy was waving at me. He started walking towards me. For whatever reason, they didn't want me to leave."

Vandusseldorp said he wasn't trying to hit anyone, and "I never did see a car that was stuck."

He will now tell that to the judge, as the cops like to say (in movies).

-- Tom Jackman

By Tom Jackman  |  February 16, 2010; 10:08 AM ET
Categories:  Loudoun , Tom Jackman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Frustration over snowy parking bubbles over in Loudoun
Next: Man shot in Northeast is D.C.'s first post-blizzard homicide victim

Comments

hey, watch it, I am 54!
Vandusseldorp; should that be an 'f' at the end? I hope?!?

Posted by: mloaks | February 16, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

No, no, just sentence Mr. Vandusseldorp to 100 to 200 hours of community service. As he's walking out the door of the courtroom, hand him his snow shovel, and get him to work.

There should be plenty of roads that need some touch up work.

Posted by: Anonynonandon | February 16, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

and yet there's this big article about gun nuts in VA with an agenda to make it easier for people to get guns and carry them 24/7. Right.

Posted by: hohandy1 | February 16, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

what a jerk, he should spend some time in jail contemplating his own selfishness

Posted by: tmi1 | February 16, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

And people talk about Prince George's County??!!

Posted by: kathie2 | February 16, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

This sounds like law enforcement overkill. The good samaratin sounds like an attention hound. Why stop a car that decides not to wait out the push and get to the gym? Apparently that is exactly what happened, so where is the crime. There appears to be no proof that the samaratin was hit/injured. Why waste tax payer money on this crappy case, which will surely result in a non-conviction. But next time Vandusseldorp, slow down and see what the matter is all about. Respect.
Note: If you were a black man, you'd be in jail. Think on that for me ... OK?

Posted by: sarjo220 | February 16, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Since when does anyone in this area just "sit in their car and visit"?? This is not Kansas. If there is a stoppage or backup, it is probably because something is going on and the others are patiently waiting. Stupid man. Where has our ability to critically analyze situations gone?

Posted by: CyanSquirrel | February 16, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Back pedal, Vandusseldorp back pedal fast.

Posted by: reiflame1 | February 16, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

sounds like this guy (samaritan) got what was coming to him. you can't just be good now-a-days, you've got to be fast too. survival of the fittest

Posted by: Gary34 | February 16, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I hope Vandusseldorp spends some time in jail. He sounds like a nut who should not be allowed behind the wheel of a car anyhow. I hope the victim recovers quickly.

Posted by: AutumnBanter | February 16, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Gee, Vandusseldorp was doing something important; this 54 year-old had to get to his gym.

Posted by: esch | February 16, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

OK, so you thought he was just chatting. This makes sense, because people hold conversations in the middle of the road all the time. Also, when they do, it is legal to run 'em down. And then drive off like nothing happened. So, he should be in the clear, right?

Posted by: joshlct | February 16, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Funny as hell. I laughed myself silly upon reading this story. Now this is journalism!

Posted by: FridayKnight | February 16, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I understand being frustrated with the driving in this area, but people need to find a better way to channel their anger other than putting lives at risk. Just 3 weeks ago, I was in the crosswalk and some tool who didn't feel like they had to wait in the line of cars making a left, rapidly swung right, would've run into me if I didn't jump out of the way, and then cut in the line of cars going left. I felt like that old SNL skit about TJ Hooker.

Posted by: 123cartoon | February 16, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

That guy with road rage will have plenty of gym time in jail.

Posted by: pdogglimhotmailcom | February 16, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Let no good deed go unpunished.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 16, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

America "the pissed off."
This is what we are becoming a nation of.
Pissed off at the "left",pissed off at the right."
We all proclaim our religious beliefs and go to church on Sunday. Yet we have no idea of what religion really is. We want our food in 5 minutes, the light to change in 5 seconds, the waiter to be only at your table. The grocery line should never be more than 1-2 people long. All the while we focus on what is on sale, or when we are going to make another trip to Costco. How much texting we will perform in the course of a day. It is a sad statement of our society that we become so focused on ourselves that we forget about the community that surrounds us. Lighten Up America and lend a hand to you neighbors

Posted by: keithlb28 | February 16, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Take away his drivers license for a year. Maybe some time on a bicycle or the sidewalks will help him understand just how many pr!&ks like him there are in this town.

Posted by: ADNova | February 16, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

So the agressor was heading to some Very Important Meeting--as are so many smug numbnuts who live in the D.C. area. All of them so VERY important their time is precious. Lordy, I despise 'em.

Hope the helpful and injured guy is 0K. Hope the agressor is arrested, locked up and perhaps given some lessons in humility.

Though such lessons likely won't take: once an arse-hole, always an arse-hole.

Posted by: mftill | February 16, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

We've all seen countless impatient drivers dangerously passing cars across the center line and at left turns and in the snow. I've fantasized about them all getting jail time and here's finally a chance!

Posted by: webg | February 16, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Everyone's an a-hole until they're on the other side. I've seen people blare their horns at people walking in the street (the sidewalks were impassable and waist-deep) and then drive real close to the pedestrian in an attempt to intimidate or freighten. It's funny because most of the people are from MD and VA. I don't see them doing that in their own neighborhoods. But everybody's aggressive when the come our neighborhods in the city. Plus with all the delays, what's the rush?

Trust me, no one wants to walk in the street these crazy drivers. But when the sidewalks disappear and you have to take the bus or walk to your car or the metro, you're going to hit the street temporarily. It's not the end of the world.

Posted by: mmurphy6 | February 16, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

You know, if this creep really wanted to get some exercise, he could have helped to push the car blocking his way.

Why would he think that a line of cars with people in them, presumably on the road, were "just visiting"? Whom? Each other?

According to the article, he did in fact hit the poor guy trying to get the disabled car out of the way. I, too, think that some jail time would be in order. And maybe he should have his Grand Am impounded for a while as well.

Posted by: edallan | February 16, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like this guy could use a little "down-time" and a good-ole psychiatric evaluation...AND, based on like-minded comments, he can take along "gary34" as his bunk mate.

Get some help, guys!!

Posted by: newbirth1 | February 16, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Let's see how he handles some jail time.

Posted by: StLou | February 16, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

keithlb28 wrote:

America "the pissed off."
This is what we are becoming a nation of.
Pissed off at the "left",pissed off at the right."
________________________________________

So what's your point, nimrod? Well? Then, quit wasting my time.

Posted by: FridayKnight | February 16, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

This guy has no excuse for hitting anyone with his car regardless of the situation. He had a hit'n'run. He didn't care to stop then we shouldn't care to hear his excuse. He should and will get thrown the book. One less bad driver on the road.

Posted by: CaptainJack1 | February 16, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

It won't surprise me if Mr. Vandalspoop gets himself one or four the U.S.'s 1.1 million lawyers and the judge or jury finds the good sammy guilty of impeding traffic -- and he gets 60 days and a $3,000 fine!

Posted by: kinkysr | February 16, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Another Loudoun County schmuck who thinks he doesn't have to wait for anything. Put his tail in jail for a few years. We don't need him on the streets. No excuses for the self-important slug.

Posted by: jckdoors | February 16, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I hope Vandork gets a lot of pushing when he's in jail.
Maybe he'll get a cell with Marion.

Posted by: jeadpt | February 16, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I am glad the Samaritan wasn't seriously hurt.

What gets me is that Vandusseldorp not only thought he was somehow more important and more entitled to move than the line of cars in front of him, but that he also can't figure out (based on his comments) what he did wrong. I mean really... you had to get to the gym that desperately that you couldn't wait a little bit? Then again, maybe it shouldn't surprise me, I see my fair share of self-centered drivers on the roads in this area. I am just grateful for those few polite drivers who make up for it. I just wish there were more.

Posted by: mizzoutiger | February 16, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

For whatever reason, they didn't want me to leave."

That's because you're so HOT, Vandalspoop, what with your manly gym pecs and your Pontiac Grand Am.

Posted by: chunche | February 16, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Those hoping this clown gets jailtime will be disapointed. Community service at most. Vandersloop was behind a line of cars in a low slung Grand Am, it IS possible he didn't see what was happening. However, he crossed the line when he drove past someone waving for him to stop. Let's use this exercise to remind ourselves to wait a beat before you make a rash decision in your vehicle. You've all done it. Hopefully, this particular doosh will learn his lesson.

Posted by: Alczervik | February 16, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine his neighbors will be charitable from now on. Maybe he had Rush Limbaugh turned up and wasn't paying attention to what was happening...

Posted by: swatkins1 | February 16, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Trans-Am / Grand-Am? "On his way to the gym?" Better check the car for anabolic steroids! I've seen variations of this very thing happen a few times. The male driver, in high-school fashion, is trying to impress his female companion. Why women are attracted to, or stay with, schmucks like this...is beyond me.

Posted by: Client-9 | February 16, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Justice is sweet. It would be nice if every self-important jerk with no regard for anything but his own little world would pay the price for his recklessness, but I'll gladly accept Mr. Vandusseldorp to be held up as an example...all that hurrying to save time didn't pay off very well, did it? It didn't take a rocket scientist to know there would be increased hazards on these snow-filled streets and that anyone daring to drive should be cautious and careful. He's just lucky someone wasn't seriously injured, but throw the book at him to slow him down the next time his adrenalin gets the best of him.

Posted by: PerfectlyCromulent64 | February 16, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I was the second car in line, waiting for the neighbor's car to be pushed up into her driveway out of the road. I tried without success to wave the Vandusseldorps down as they passed me to let them know what was going on.

A sad addendum to this story was that several of the people in the line waiting were on their way to a neighbor's funeral.

Posted by: honeybee93 | February 16, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that notice that no one was HURT!!!! The only crime was impatience. I didn't realize the importance of getting to gym before everyone else...LOL!!

Seriously...slow down so we won't have anymore accidents like the one on Branch Ave this morning.

Posted by: gayliberalconservative | February 18, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

well if you don't think getting hit by a car doesn't hurt, you've been taking it too long & lost all sensation apparently.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 19, 2010 3:29 AM | Report abuse