Loudoun man drives into restaurant patrons

A Loudoun man accidentally drove his SUV into a restaurant Wednesday evening, striking a man who was having dinner with his daughter and the girl's friend, Loudoun sheriff's officials said.

Daniel Goldstein, 38, of Ashburn was charged with reckless driving, authorities said. The 43-year-old victim is being treated at Inova Loudoun Hospital. His daughter was treated for minor injuries.

Authorities said Goldstein pulled his 2003 Acura SUV in front of the California Tortilla restaurant in Ashburn Village shortly before 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

When he reached into the back seat to grab something, his foot struck the accelerator and the SUV climbed the curb, according to authorities. Goldstein tried to brake, but accidentally hit the accelerator and drove through the restaurant's glass wall into the dining room.

-- Maria Glod

By Maria Glod  |  March 11, 2010; 8:27 AM ET
Categories:  Loudoun , Maria Glod
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alexandria man's death in Va. hospital being investigated as homicide
Next: Tipster leads police to suspected D.C. bank robber

Comments

Geezers and crones who are too old and senile to be driving don't know the difference between the brake and the accelerator when they mow people down.

But a 38 year old person who doesn't know the difference is too stupid to have a driver's license.

Posted by: checkered1 | March 11, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

checkered1, Like those drag racers?

Posted by: MRGB | March 11, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Oh, an Acura. Had this been a Toyota, we'd have numerous comments about death traps, buy American, unsafe at any speed, and mystifying computers taking over good old reliable mechanical systems.

Posted by: hitpoints | March 11, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

How'd this "Goober" ever get a drivers license??

Posted by: twilson66 | March 11, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hitpoints | March 11, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

--------------

If this had been a Toyota, the guy would have just claimed that the car accelerated on its own.

Posted by: ghokee | March 11, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

C'mon, let's hear about how dangerous Metrolrail is, and what a big a nuisance bicyclists and pedestrians are.

Posted by: SydneyP | March 11, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Aaaaaahhh....Multitasking. Getting so much more done all at the same time, and not one of them done well.

Posted by: swatkins1 | March 11, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

C'mon. I don't know anyone who hasn't had a "near miss" doing something really stupid behind the wheel but were lucky enough for it not to turn into something that hurt someone.

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Posted by: seaduck2001 | March 11, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this story will sound familiar to some of the Toyota runaway vehicles. But, luckily for them and thanks to the media feeding frenzy, they didn't have to fess up their stupidity.

Posted by: voldenuit123 | March 11, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"Will the accountant with the Acura SUV and small penis please return to your vehicle? The headlights were left on.

Posted by: nativedc | March 11, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Realistically, this guy probably wasn't paying attention, thought he put it in park, then accidentally hit the gas pedal when he reached back. Then he most likely paniced and reflexively stomped down without thinking about which pedal he was lined up with - I highly doubt it was a concious though process of "which one is the brake, which one is the gas".

I'm not excusing it - this was still incredibly dumb and irresponsible, but all the people who claim to be of superior intellect would probably have an equal chance of catching the wrong pedal if their car started moving unexpectedly and they stomped for the brake in a blind panic. The trick to not being a moron is that you should never let your attention lapse so that you car could move unexpectedly on you in the first place.

Posted by: duffymoon | March 11, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Was it too much trouble to put the car in PARK before doing his reach-around?

Posted by: ms1234 | March 11, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Aren't Acura and Toyota electrical harnesses made of the same materials? Coincidence, I think not...

Posted by: DontGetIt | March 11, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Waitress!!! There's a car bumper in my soup...

Posted by: panamared12 | March 11, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

It's easy to yell at the guy for doing something stupid, but I can easily imagine this happening. When I was very young, I was in my car about to leave from my parking space when I remembered I had to get something in my backpack in the back seat. I absentmindedly had taken the car out of gear and sure enough, it started rolling back. I remember thinking, "Is the car moving?" Luckily it was not a steep incline, and I ended up doing a slow roll across the lot and tapped into someone's truck. He was standing right there wondering how someone could back into his truck when there was so much space. I was too embarrassed to tell him it and rolled into his truck.

Posted by: nuzuw | March 11, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"C'mon. I don't know anyone who hasn't had a "near miss" doing something really stupid behind the wheel but were lucky enough for it not to turn into something that hurt someone"

...really?

I would say "then you need to get out more" but it seems that that would endanger the public safety :)

Posted by: dubya1938 | March 11, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

honestly I don't see how that in any way legitimatizes or even makes ok the fact that the guy left his car in gear and then reached behind him.

There are shades of stupid and shades of lucky. This guy pushed the extremes of both. He was *very* lucky that his extreme stupidity didn't result in someone getting crippled for life or killed.

Posted by: dubya1938 | March 11, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"I'm not excusing it - this was still incredibly dumb and irresponsible, but all the people who claim to be of superior intellect would probably have an equal chance of catching the wrong pedal if their car started moving unexpectedly and they stomped for the brake in a blind panic"

...you also are missing the point. The point is that he shouldn't have left his car in drive in the first place. For just this reason. People "of superior intellect" wouldn't have done that.

The guy has clearly proven that he's not all that smart. So why do you think that no one else is, either?

Posted by: dubya1938 | March 11, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Would you like a table or booth?

With or without seat belts?

Posted by: mdpilot | March 11, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Here's a thought. Turn off the car. Get out. Open the back door. Reach item. Close door. Go about your day.

Posted by: akchild | March 11, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Acura drivers do reach arounds!!!!!!!

Posted by: angelos_peter | March 11, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Freakin idiot

Posted by: bryjen48 | March 11, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I guess that Tortilla didn't have a drive through!

Posted by: gary11311 | March 11, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse