School bus driver charged with assaulting student over iPod volume

A Loudoun County school bus driver was charged with simple assault after allegedly striking a student who refused to turn down his iPod, authorities said.

Lavangila N. McKissic, 35, of Round Hill, was driving students through Purcellville about 4 p.m. April 27 when she repeatedly asked a student, who was not using headphones, to turn down his MP3 player, sheriff's spokesman Kraig Troxell said. The 15-year-old boy, a student at Harmony Intermediate School, didn't.

Witnesses reported that McKissic stopped the bus, grabbed the iPod from the teenager and struck him in the head, Troxell said. He said the teenager was not injured.

Troxell said another student on the bus reported the incident the next day. He said the school resource officer launched an investigation.

A schools spokesman said McKissic has been suspended. He said students are allowed to have MP3 players on the bus provided the music is quiet.

-- Maria Glod

By Maria Glod  |  May 12, 2010; 11:04 AM ET
Categories:  Loudoun , Maria Glod , Schools
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Norfolk 4' homicide detective indicted for extortion
Next: Truck, trailer, lawn equipment stolen from Alexandria facility

Comments

In the 70's, this would have been 'positive reinforcement'. Now it's 'abuse'. Give me the '70's'...

Posted by: kahlua87 | May 12, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Too bad...the driver probably only poked him on the head lightly to emphasize her point but either way it is classified as assault...she will probably lose her job as a result, no matter what the court decision is...Hopefully but not probably, probation coupled with training would be great...

Sounds like some sensitivity training is in order for bus drivers, as students are more difficult to control....

Posted by: pentagon40 | May 12, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm w/kahlua87. It took a village 2 raise a child back in the day. When neighbors could correct kids when they saw them doing wrong, tell their parents, and they got an ass-whoopin' from them. Was the offense repeated? More than likely not; however, there were some hardheads that needed further discipline. BUT, that child DID remember right from wrong, and lived their life accordingly (4 the most part). Now w/all the 'time-out' crap folks bought in2, we have kids comin' 2 school w/semiautomatic rifles & trenchcoats, whinin' cuz they have no friends or some such. On top of that, we have a magnitude of single-parent households w/no father (and I'm talkin' grown men, now; not these sperm donors runnin' amok out here) figures 4 these kids (primarily boys), let alone common courtesy/sense and respect. If I were still child-bearing age, there's no way I'd have a kid nowadays. I watch Supernanny, 2! :oP

Posted by: VioletDC | May 12, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The driver should have kicked the little( or perhaps not so little) turd off of the bus,and turned the MP3 player into the principal.The parents should then have been required to attend a meeting with the principal, vice-principle or counselor to discuss their child's behavioral difficulties on the bus.Parents need to be reminded that if their kids abuse the privilidge of riding the bus it can, and will be, taken away. If it disturbs the bus driver and distracts them from their duties driving the children to and from school, it should be banned!

Posted by: lsf07 | May 12, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm with the driver on this one. Kids have degenerated big time.

Posted by: FiatBooks | May 12, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Yep...I agree with most of the other posters. Some kids need to be shown a little "tough love." If you don't obey the rules, there are consequences. The rules say keep the music quiet, and the kid didn't do as asked. I'll wager his parents are probably afraid to discipline him at home, leaving it up to people like teachers and bus drivers...who get in trouble if they even think about correcting someone.

Posted by: akchild | May 12, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

This is sad and he should have turned down the Ipod. Now the dead beat parents are crying wolf for their disrespectful child, next it will be a law suit. I ride the metro and between the Ipods, chewing gum and those that feel like an empty means one size fits all, makes me want to go outside someones head..kick him off and make him walk.

Posted by: shadon1 | May 12, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Good for her. Perhaps if the punk had been taught manners and respect by his parents it wouldn't come to this. I'm sure it was more of a "dope slap" rather than "assault". I'm sure the parents will make an issue over it, instead of disciplinig their brat.

Posted by: jckdoors | May 12, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

pure bull shiggady!

the ignorant, nondisciplined punk should be suspended for breaking the rules on the bus.

kudos to the bus driver! she be able to get another gig.

Posted by: nivla | May 12, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

He said students are allowed to have MP3 players on the bus provided the music is quiet. DUH!!!!! Kids are encouraged to misbehave.

Posted by: peridot11 | May 12, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The bus driver will need another job soon.

She should take her CDL to The Convention Store at Dulles Airport where the passengers usually are more respectful.

The Convention Store, Inc is looking for full-time shuttle bus operators at our Dulles Airport location to transport airport customers to the parking lots. Class B Commercial Drivers License with passenger and air brake endorsements, and 3 years Driving Experience required. Qualified candidates must pass pre-employment DOT physical/drug screen and possess a clean driving record. Salary $13.75 per hour. Interested candidates please call 703-572-7621. Mon-Fri between the hours of 10:00am and 3:00pm for consideration.

001107

Good luck.

Posted by: gmuhokie2009 | May 12, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

she should have confiscated the Ipod and given it back to the student when he got off the bus. and she should have had the kid reported for not obeying her the first time.

However, that does not give her the right to put her hands on this kid. i don't care how much of a putz he is. if i'm his parent, i might want the driver punished but I am sure as hell gonna take away my kid's ipod too.

this isn't an either/or situation. they were both wrong.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | May 12, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

If I as a student had pulled something like this back in the day, I would have been sent to the Vice Principles office and paddled then I would have gotten punished again by my parents when I got home. I'm not going to critisize this kids parent, because I am unaware at the moment how they responded to this situation. But, from my experience with kids and their parents these days, they are probably talking to a lawyer as we speak trying to figure out how much money they can get out of the school system. Mean while their kid will grow up to be another self centered A-hole. I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: MrT55 | May 12, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

In the 60s and 70s, that thunk on the kid's head would have been NOTHING to the belt whipping you received when you got home and your mama or papa found out you mis-behaved on the bus, in school, etc. CHEERS to the bus driver. I'm sure that little punk-kid took her to the edge and over. Kick all these insolent brats out of the school system so that the ones that WANT to learn CAN learn.

Posted by: ReneesOpinion | May 12, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The kid should have been thrown off the bus

Posted by: Jim31 | May 12, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I've wanted to slap the crap out of people on Metro listening to their players too loudly. Kudos to the bus driver. It's unfortunate that she'll probably be punished for this. And the bratty kid will be treated like an abused victim. Pitiful.

Posted by: brandip_77 | May 12, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Like everyone else, I think the kid probably more than deserved the 'tap' on the head. As for deadbeat parents? Probably not given that it's Loudoun County. Mom stays home with several kids, dad has a good job and the kids are spoiled rotten given whatever they want when they want. The parents are now saying 'poor johnny!' I wish we could have a petition to send the kid to detention vs. the bus driver being punished. Heck, the parents ought to be punished! If this were my kid, that iPoid would be trashed and he would be in serious trouble! Way to go bus driver!

Posted by: YellowRoad | May 13, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse