Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Friday memorial for slain Prince William girl

Alfreedia L. Gregg-Glover, 45, recently came before a judge to learn her punishment for leaving her 13-year-old adopted daugher to die in a frigid stream. During the Prince William Circuit Court hearing, only prosecutors who had never met Alexis "Lexie" Agyepong-Glover could talk about the loss of a little girl who loved butterflies and school.

Under Virginia state law, only victims of crimes, or family members of those who were murdered, can testify about the impact of the crime at sentencing.

Lexie "couldn't speak for herself and she really had no blood kin who could," Prince William County Commonwealth's Attorney Paul B. Ebert said after the hearing.

But Friday evening, (Feb. 26) educators, school bus drivers, friends and others who knew Lexie are planning a memorial in her honor. It is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Lexie's former school, Pace West School, 14550 John Marshall Highway, Haymarket.

"It's a way for everyone to be together so Alexis isn't forgotten," said Amy Beddoo Thomas, a social worker who knew Lexie. "We don't want this to happen again. We can all do a better job of listening to the kids."

Lexie liked writing poems and drawing, those who knew her said. She liked to chat with other girls on the school bus. "She was a very smart, loving, really easy going kid," Beddoo Thomas said.

Gregg-Glover, 45, dumped Lexie, still alive, in an icy Woodbridge area creek in January 2009 and reported the girl missing. The girl died of drowning and exposure to the cold.

Lexie’s story sparked reforms to the county’s handling of child abuse reports after it became clear that the she had long been abused and that people concerned about her had contacted police, social service workers and school officials.

After Lexie's death, The Washington Post found that bus drivers, neighbors and others had reported suspected abuse to county agencies. The girl was seen bruised and cut, being driven off in the trunk of a car and at bus stop wearing only a diaper.
But she was never removed from Gregg-Glover's home.

Several investigations were launched to determine whether the case had been mishandled, and policies were revamped. One county social services employee was fired, and two were disciplined. Three police employees were disciplined.

Gregg-Glover pleaded guilty in July to felony murder, felony child abuse and filing a false police report. She was sentenced to 26 years in prison.

-- Maria Glod

By Maria Glod  |  February 24, 2010; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Maria Glod , Pr. William , Updates  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Police say girl, 11, raped in Silver Spring
Next: Georgia man sentenced to prison for relationship with Maryland teen


The death of Lexie Glover is a tragedy that will hopefully open everyones eyes to the problem that is the Dept of Social Services! Lexie is not the only child who has died at the hands of this agency. Many children across this country die every year due to the incompetance of the DSS system and its agents!

The PW DSS & CPS should be held accountable for the death of Lexie Glover. This case is not about "a child falling through the cracks"! The abuse this child endured was caused by the blatant negligence of the agency from Jack Ledden down to the Case worker who did not respond to the complaints of PW County citizens and employees regarding this child!

How can we as residents of this county, sit back and say that anything was done "in the best interest of this child?" When are we going to hold all of the people who killed Lexie Glover accountable? What will be the next excuse for the death of another child at the hands of PW County DSS?

Posted by: Steelergirl | February 28, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company